Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #10,861 of 12,007
It is weekend! It's free time for everyone!! So I'm sharing a video to bring you some fun~

I like those ones, the MOONDROP Illumination IEMs, sold and fulfilled by TTAUDIO!

Good comfort, great detail, and a nice overall ergonomic, for an open back IEM with tons of staging. More info, comparisons and my raw personal feelings about it in the video review. As always, good background music, some light hearted jokes, and nice B-Rolls in today's video review of the Illumination

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #10,862 of 12,007
Hi, my newly bought Variations is having a problem: Randomly when i touch the faceplate of the left ear piece, i hear static noise (small but noticeable), and i cannot recreate this with the right ear faceplate which makes me believe something is probably loose inside ? and touching the left faceplate ? Can someone confirm this being a grounding problem of a faulty unit so i can send them back for warranty.
Try switch the channels, if the problem switch to the right, it’s a grounding problem from the source.
If not, it’s a faulty unit.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #10,864 of 12,007
TL;DR - MOONDROP SPARKS CAN ONLY CONNECT ONE SIDE PROBLEM

Hi fellas, new Moondrop Sparks owner here (since Dec 2021). And I can only listen to one side of the buds. The thing is when I reset them (8 seconds rule), both earbuds flashed white from red but the left side flashed white first and the right flashed white around 3 secs later. I do not know if it is the correct reset procedure. After waiting for the lights to went off completely, I took them out and the left side flashed red/white alternatively, the right only flashes white very fast. And when I connect with my phone (already forgotten the Sparks in bluetooth), only the left side paired, the right just kept flashing white. I've been trying to reset these for over a week now. Tried using Android phone, Mac, Windows. Didn't work one bit. And if I waited longer, the right side would enter pairing with device mode (flashed red and white like the left side) and I have 2 buds working separately like 2 one-ear TWSes which can be paired to 2 (but not the same) devices.

Another thing is updating OTA via Moondrop Link DOES not work at all, it only shows as follows: "Initializing -> Terminating -> App device terminated" on Android. It doesn't work. Sometimes it only loops in one of the three letters above.

Product Link: https://brightaudio.aliexpress.ru/store/932490?spm=a2g2w.productlist.0.0.63e313696HzpKo

Sending these back is quite work cuz I live in Moscow, bought from BrightAudio Store. And they do NOT even see my messages at all. Guess next time I'll just buy straight off Moondrop or Shenzen stores. IF I EVER WILL PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE.

I need advice for my situation, either to wait for them to respond, or just get over it and go back to classic wired earbuds. Any are welcome.
*sorry for the capitals, it only means the title of the thread. And my English is bad too. And so is my knowledge about IEMS.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #10,865 of 12,007
TL;DR - MOONDROP SPARKS CAN ONLY CONNECT ONE SIDE PROBLEM

Hi fellas, new Moondrop Sparks owner here (since Dec 2021). And I can only listen to one side of the buds. The thing is when I reset them (8 seconds rule), both earbuds flashed white from red but the left side flashed white first and the right flashed white around 3 secs later. I do not know if it is the correct reset procedure. After waiting for the lights to went off completely, I took them out and the left side flashed red/white alternatively, the right only flashes white very fast. And when I connect with my phone (already forgotten the Sparks in bluetooth), only the left side paired, the right just kept flashing white. I've been trying to reset these for over a week now. Tried using Android phone, Mac, Windows. Didn't work one bit. And if I waited longer, the right side would enter pairing with device mode (flashed red and white like the left side) and I have 2 buds working separately like 2 one-ear TWSes which can be paired to 2 (but not the same) devices.

Another thing is updating OTA via Moondrop Link DOES not work at all, it only shows as follows: "Initializing -> Terminating -> App device terminated" on Android. It doesn't work. Sometimes it only loops in one of the three letters above.

Product Link: https://brightaudio.aliexpress.ru/store/932490?spm=a2g2w.productlist.0.0.63e313696HzpKo

Sending these back is quite work cuz I live in Moscow, bought from BrightAudio Store. And they do NOT even see my messages at all. Guess next time I'll just buy straight off Moondrop or Shenzen stores. IF I EVER WILL PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE.

I need advice for my situation, either to wait for them to respond, or just get over it and go back to classic wired earbuds. Any are welcome.
*sorry for the capitals, it only means the title of the thread. And my English is bad too. And so is my knowledge about IEMS.
First we apologize for the confusion.
It seems like they were somehow defaulted to “single ear only”mode. Try touch on both the faceplate when they were in the Charging box.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #10,866 of 12,007
First we apologize for the confusion.
It seems like they were somehow defaulted to “single ear only”mode. Try touch on both the faceplate when they were in the Charging box.
If you mean to reset them in the charging box for 8 seconds, I did it many times. And I've just done it again. Still does not work

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #10,867 of 12,007
If you mean to reset them in the charging box for 8 seconds, I did it many times. And I've just done it again. Still does not work
For some reason it was actually 15sec when I contacted our engineer, while the timing was also kinda “strict”...
(I really don’t want to say it under a MOT account, but I don’t like spark’s pairing process either…sigh…)

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #10,869 of 12,007
Got on the Kato bandwagon.

Imaging is very good. Clear and sounds are very distinct. I tried various tips, and it's the spring tips that contributes to the tightness and speed of the sound. It's brighter than the older models I've heard, but not excessive. It maybe the best imaging of Moondrop iems I've heard so far.

So, spring tips was a good design, and choice for this iem.

Bass is greater than balanced, but it's fun and has good impact, which is the positive. I would reduce the bass some to make it more balanced. Other than that, tonality is good as usual that Moondrop generally puts out.

A negative for me is the treble definition. It's kinda grainy sounding, and I wish more resolution in the treble, and it would be better improved. I would definitely choose this over 7Hz Timeless. I was disappointed with it's tonality. Highs were tonally flawed.

When vocal texture peaks, it gets kinda grainy sounding. However, strings are very well imaged. Guitar distortions are very well defined. Strings and rock is fun with these. I think rock would be fun due to drum impact and good distortion imaging.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #10,870 of 12,007
Got on the Kato bandwagon.

Imaging is very good. Clear and sounds are very distinct. I tried various tips, and it's the spring tips that contributes to the tightness and speed of the sound. It's brighter than the older models I've heard, but not excessive. It maybe the best imaging of Moondrop iems I've heard so far.

So, spring tips was a good design, and choice for this iem.

Bass is greater than balanced, but it's fun and has good impact, which is the positive. I would reduce the bass some to make it more balanced. Other than that, tonality is good as usual that Moondrop generally puts out.

A negative for me is the treble definition. It's kinda grainy sounding, and I wish more resolution in the treble, and it would be better improved. I would definitely choose this over 7Hz Timeless. I was disappointed with it's tonality. Highs were tonally flawed.

When vocal texture peaks, it gets kinda grainy sounding. However, strings are very well imaged. Guitar distortions are very well defined. Strings and rock is fun with these. I think rock would be fun due to drum impact and good distortion imaging.
small question: do you think the Katos would be a good upgrade for someone who has already had the Starfields? or should I save up a bit more and buy the Dusk instead?

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #10,871 of 12,007
small question: do you think the Katos would be a good upgrade for someone who has already had the Starfields? or should I save up a bit more and buy the Dusk instead?
Sorry, I have not heard Dusk, and all I can say is, it's an improvement over KXXS. Starfields, I've not heard either.

To me, it's greater upgrade jump than Kanas Pro to KXXS.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #10,873 of 12,007
Try switch the channels, if the problem switch to the right, it’s a grounding problem from the source.
If not, it’s a faulty unit.
I switched the left-right cable and the static noise still persists when i touched the left faceplate. We weirder things is the noise problem is not consistently creatable. Although it only happens to the left faceplate, im not sure what triggered it, due to how i sit, what i was touching beforehand. As i was writing this reply, the static just... stop, not entirely sure what causing this.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #10,874 of 12,007
I switched the left-right cable and the static noise still persists when i touched the left faceplate. We weirder things is the noise problem is not consistently creatable. Although it only happens to the left faceplate, im not sure what triggered it, due to how i sit, what i was touching beforehand. As i was writing this reply, the static just... stop, not entirely sure what causing this.
There are two possibilities, if you hear that noise by pressing… likely to be driver flex from air pressure.(which is normal)
If it’s done by simply touching/tapping it… there might be something to do with the connection inside(say the wire inside occasionally touch each other)
Any ways that doesn’t look like it’s problem of the source, I would contact the distributor for it.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #10,875 of 12,007
For edm/dance music and other music that have a bunch of bass like that and other things with bass like action in movies and video games, would the blessing 2 (not the dusk) sennheiser ie300 or campfire honeydew be better in your opinion? and which would be the best balanced, natural sounding and all rounder out of the 3?

please and thansk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back