Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #9,977 of 11,982
Limited Edition!!

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #9,978 of 11,982
Sample? I think some reviewers say that the mid is a little bit thin so male vocal sounds not full. I listened to Tony Bennett, Jamiroquai, Green Day, Dave Matthews, etc and they sounds fine to my ears.
Try maroon 5 songs about jane album, also try joshua bach scottish fantasy, the mid range is quite congested with the Variations. I compared it with NM2+ and the new Topguy and find single DD really handle these songs a lot better.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #9,979 of 11,982
Try maroon 5 songs about jane album, also try joshua bach scottish fantasy, the mid range is quite congested with the Variations. I compared it with NM2+ and the new Topguy and find single DD really handle these songs a lot better.
I listened to those songs and I don't find them congested. I compared the Variations with the Aria and much better sound overall in the Variations.

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #9,980 of 11,982
Good to know. Spinfits seem to work for many, I think the CP155 is the one that fits the B2 Dusk? Can anyone confirm?

A shallower tip might help too. I personally really like the Azla Sedna Light Short with the Dusk - they allow for a deep insertion without irritating my ear canal, and the wider bore improves the Dusk's treble extension and presence. Do go one size down from your usual, as they run large.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #9,981 of 11,982
I listened to those songs and I don't find them congested. I compared the Variations with the Aria and much better sound overall in the Variations.
Maybe I am mid range sensitive :smirk: and I am quite picky on the larynx presentation. Male vocal is not congested but very slow as if there is something in the singer's throat. I prefer the presentation of NM2+ and topguy.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #9,982 of 11,982
Still looking for a descent IEM for home and commuting. Listening a lot 70,80,90s pop/ rock mostly. I prefer some descent tight slam/ kick when asked for. For now I use a the Final A4000 which I like a lot. For home listening this is fine although I have to boost the bass a few db for my taste. When commuting I have to add a few db more in the bass compartment. Coming to the question, will the Variations be a descent IEM for my needs?

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #9,983 of 11,982
Good to know. Spinfits seem to work for many, I think the CP155 is the one that fits the B2 Dusk? Can anyone confirm?
Do note CP155 fits to B2/Dusk/Variations, but it alters the sonic resonance due to nozzle length and bore size.

For less alteration: wider bore /longer nozzle CP800, wider bore /shorter nozzle CP360 would work.

The new CP100 plus also does good job for Dusk, itā€™s a vocal region booster.

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #9,984 of 11,982
Your definition of congestion may due to the frequency response for which Iā€™d rather say itā€™s tonality preference.
217DF770-E3B8-4A67-81FC-DBAC5820AA6C.png

NM2+ has a plateau style 2kh-4khz upper mid /lower treble spot lights, and Variations is a solo 3khz pinna gain peak spotlight, which could give a dry presentation compared to other approaches. The midrange presentation is more natural and neutral on Variations than V-shaped NM2+ IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #9,985 of 11,982
Still looking for a descent IEM for home and commuting. Listening a lot 70,80,90s pop/ rock mostly. I prefer some descent tight slam/ kick when asked for. For now I use a the Final A4000 which I like a lot. For home listening this is fine although I have to boost the bass a few db for my taste. When commuting I have to add a few db more in the bass compartment. Coming to the question, will the Variations be a descent IEM for my needs?
Variation has enough sub-bass ā€œooomphā€ but when it comes to Wood-bass, you may find it lacking natural presentation, itā€™s too sub bass focused.
C887ADB5-40A6-427F-813D-AB38FC332B30.png

An enjoyable presentation, but not natural. Meanwhile Final A4000 has similar sub-bass focused down slope, the mid-bass presentation is a bit more natural than Variations. But overall itā€™s a different class (from Class-B to Class-S) jump, you most likely wonā€™t be disappointed.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #9,986 of 11,982
Your definition of congestion may due to the frequency response for which Iā€™d rather say itā€™s tonality preference.

NM2+ has a plateau style 2kh-4khz upper mid /lower treble spot lights, and Variations is a solo 3khz pinna gain peak spotlight, which could give a dry presentation compared to other approaches. The midrange presentation is more natural and neutral on Variations than V-shaped NM2+ IMO.
I think to my ears it is more about the speed not the congestion and for male vocal it is really preference but I often hear some congestions with the Variations on mediocre mastered orchestral music, when the strings are playing some middle notes in particular. I will try to play with EQ to hear what is really going on next week.

Also to my ears, NM2+ is not so V shape at all, it is more like bright neutral with strong bass attack.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #9,987 of 11,982
Campfire Honeydew

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #9,988 of 11,982
Variation has enough sub-bass ā€œooomphā€ but when it comes to Wood-bass, you may find it lacking natural presentation, itā€™s too sub bass focused.
C887ADB5-40A6-427F-813D-AB38FC332B30.png

An enjoyable presentation, but not natural. Meanwhile Final A4000 has similar sub-bass focused down slope, the mid-bass presentation is a bit more natural than Variations. But overall itā€™s a different class (from Class-B to Class-S) jump, you most likely wonā€™t be disappointed.
Thanks, nice to see these curves together. Difficult to explain for me but what i am missing right now is the authority/ slam when the mid-bass kicks in. For example i had the Fiio FD5 a few days and that kick made me smile and that's what i want. But when I hear you right that's not gonna happen with the Variations right ?

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #9,990 of 11,982
Thanks, nice to see these curves together. Difficult to explain for me but what i am missing right now is the authority/ slam when the mid-bass kicks in. For example i had the Fiio FD5 a few days and that kick made me smile and that's what i want. But when I hear you right that's not gonna happen with the Variations right ?
Variationā€™s bass is sub-bass focused, so if any mid-bass oriented instruments are on stake, it needs ear tip rolling, or recabling. I found myself comfortable with PW Audioā€™s Copper 28 V2 for the midbass coming out of Variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back