Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #9,754 of 11,982
I've been using the S8 almost daily for about a year and cleaning it weekly, and suddenly today the audio in the left side is about 3x lower than the volume on the right side. I can rule out the source and cable as the same thing happens when plugged into my phone, and I tried switching the left and right 2pin connections on the stock cable. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advanced

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #9,755 of 11,982
That said, I am not convinced electrostatic drivers offer any real benefits over balanced armatures.
I think it depends on the implementation. With other Tribrids, I couldn't really tell the difference between them and regular BA hybrids. But Moondrop did something special with the Variations. The transients in the treble are noticably faster, airy, and delicate. Probably my favorite trait of the Variations. Besides the clean hitting bass.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #9,756 of 11,982
I've been using the S8 almost daily for about a year and cleaning it weekly, and suddenly today the audio in the left side is about 3x lower than the volume on the right side. I can rule out the source and cable as the same thing happens when plugged into my phone, and I tried switching the left and right 2pin connections on the stock cable. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advanced
Have you tried switching the nozzle filters if there's any?

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #9,757 of 11,982
PXL_20210823_095524366.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Additional color added to the cable family.
PW audio 28 copper V2

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #9,759 of 11,982
After 100 hours of burnin, just removed nozzle filter from Aria.

Below is Aria’s user guide, it states” LCP drivers got some issue at the time of beginning, and it needs 100 hours of burn-in”. Also I just noticed it comes with hex filter spares& internal acoustic filter spares. You can feel freely to remove hex filter.
79C76C4E-0674-478F-ABE6-3E4A01B9D550.jpeg

The muffled mid is almost gone!
-The sound is much more “lively”, finally a clear vision from top to bottom!
-The filter seemed still reattach-able
- do note I use Xelastec M (L makes it dark) eartip after rolling many others
-Trade off: a bit off-phase sub-bass, treble gets boosted as well, so it’s not moondrop’s house curve anymore
-diffusion field also got a bit narrower
-there are another layer of acoustic filter inside of the nozzle filter
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound; try to push it and listen to the sound change, when you get a completely sealed air vent hole, the magic kicks in, this is noticeable by driver flex sound due to insertion air pressure.
- I’d say this will bring Aria’s sound sigunature to bright neutral ( hints of U still exists)
-post burn-in, air presentation still seemed a bit rough but forgivable

bottomline: it’s not a magic to make Aria to top-of-the-line IEMs, but it is a significant technicality improvement. LCP is highly solid and elastic, the sound is very unique

I would refer Aria, with xelastec M, deeper insertion & full seal, removed nozzle, post 100 hr burn-in, as Mini-Softears RSV.

Sound image coordination and vector presentation is not what RSV level could offer, but as far as resolution and diffusion field width, it comes to closer region.

highly recommended to Aria owners👍now Aria hits on top of my list among KXXS/Starfield. It’s definitely not a “budget KXXS or Starfield” anymore.
Resolution is higher than NF Audio NM2+ now.

picture with stock nozzle filter : hex shape iron filter), the top black one is Aria.

2BEAAF70-0753-40BD-91F4-39CD38EBDC55.jpeg
After removing the hex iron filter:
3900BE6D-DDF9-4546-8870-B2C30EC52F73.jpeg
Hi...can you tell ignoramus me the best way to safely remove filters from nozzles?

Thanks, aye!

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #9,762 of 11,982
Hi...can you tell ignoramus me the best way to safely remove filters from nozzles?

Thanks, aye!
There's actually a vid on how to do it with the supplied tweezers on youtube. Otherwise, you can use fine screwdrivers etc to the same effect. If you're thinking of lifting it out without damaging it, it will be slightly trickier. Use a very fine pin/needle and lift out the metal wax guard from the edges, then gently bend and scoop the acoustic filter out

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #9,763 of 11,982
Happens quite a bit with Chifi IEMs. You need to send it in for repairs/exchange.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back