Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #8,326 of 11,982
Here's my Moondrop Aria 2021 review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-aria-2021.25077/review/26132/
Please have a go.

20210610_082539.jpg

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #8,327 of 11,982
Of those three for Piano I would pick KXXS, but for a "midpoint" Starfield will be a safer pick, it's not too soft, not too hard tone. Aria is hard, KXXS is soft.
Wondering for heavier music with fast transients. I personally own the Aria and have spent 5 days (with a borrowed) Starfield last week. Tested them on a BTR5 and a Topping L30.

I didn't really like the warmth and the smoothed out details of the Starfield compared to the faster Aria and controlled bass. I prefer the Arias 100% of the time even if it has in-your -head vocals depending on the track. I just couldn't really deal with the smoothed out details and muddier and slower bass region of the Starfield in comparison even if it sounded more neutral and laid back on the vocals.

You mentioned that the "KXXS is soft". I have a few questions for the KXXS if you don't mind.
Does that mean that the KXXS is also towards the warmer tuning? does it smear off details like the Starfield does? how is the midbass, is it controlled like the aria or muddier like the Starfield? How does it handle the vocals and how does it handle distorted guitars? How are the transients, is it a faster driver than the Aria? What's the over all tuning compared to the Aria?

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #8,329 of 11,982
Oh NiceHCK😲 The design reminds me of KZ AS16, especially with handwriting style texts.

I will keep that on my radar.
Wondering for heavier music with fast transients. I personally own the Aria and have spent 5 days (with a borrowed) Starfield last week. Tested them on a BTR5 and a Topping L30.

I didn't really like the warmth and the smoothed out details of the Starfield compared to the faster Aria and controlled bass. I prefer the Arias 100% of the time even if it has in-your -head vocals depending on the track. I just couldn't really deal with the smoothed out details and muddier and slower bass region of the Starfield in comparison even if it sounded more neutral and laid back on the vocals.

You mentioned that the "KXXS is soft". I have a few questions for the KXXS if you don't mind.
Does that mean that the KXXS is also towards the warmer tuning? does it smear off details like the Starfield does? how is the midbass, is it controlled like the aria or muddier like the Starfield? How does it handle the vocals and how does it handle distorted guitars? How are the transients, is it a faster driver than the Aria? What's the over all tuning compared to the Aria?
yea, Aria made most of dynamic IEM ,except pure-beryllium driver, shy one on agility and transient smoothness, especially for bass response that is very prominent. I recommend removing the iron filter and recabling the Aria, it will be a beast, hard to beat dynamic IEM.

KXXS tuning is about same with Starfield, with only distinctive difference in midrange presentation, it has several layers of “veil” which I can describe “not a muddy veil, rather distorted and crisp harmony of overtones”. The treble resolution is a bit higher on KXXS, so which makes KXXS staying on my routine go-to, as it is one and the only IEM that can reproduce soft touching midrange. KXXS midrange makes harp music very very euphoric. The dumper pedal sound on piano also is another unique one for KXXS.

KXXS is not as warm tuned as Starfield, it’s bright-neutral side. For mid-bass KXXS/Starfield is about the same, you can’t expect Aria class high-fidelity bass transient (fast x impactful)

Just scraped my score chart for another comment but I found it’s relevant for Aria vs Starfield vs KXXS, so I’m repasting:
69ABFBFB-764A-4380-9177-D54AD026270B.jpeg
B4EBCCF2-6B3F-4E52-80E6-334BB0CDD504.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #8,330 of 11,982
Variations unboxing and early impressions from BGGAR.

Looks like he likes it👍 Good news✌️
3EF15101-FC9F-41A8-B4DA-0D9DAAEAD711.jpeg

I’m glad he measured it to Softears RSV, from the chart I can say Variations wouldn’t go wrong in anyway. Basically Moondrop Dusk is a bit colored & nerfed RSV (which is a reality simulator), and Variations is inspired by Dusk tuning which makes total sense of that green line of FR chart.

I can imagine a bit more energized and U shape tuned RSV the variations would be for the basic tuning concept, with added EST and LCP, Softears-MID-B driver, Variations has potentials to be new benchmark of sub $1k.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #8,331 of 11,982
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #8,335 of 11,982
Looks like he likes it👍 Good news✌️
3EF15101-FC9F-41A8-B4DA-0D9DAAEAD711.jpeg
I’m glad he measured it to Softears RSV, from the chart I can say Variations wouldn’t go wrong in anyway. Basically Moondrop Dusk is a bit colored & nerfed RSV (which is a reality simulator), and Variations is inspired by Dusk tuning which makes total sense of that green line of FR chart.

I can imagine a bit more energized and U shape tuned RSV the variations would be for the basic tuning concept, with added EST and LCP, Softears-MID-B driver, Variations has potentials to be new benchmark of sub $1k.

He said it was his favorite Moondrop iem, which says ALOT. I trust BGGAR. Think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #8,336 of 11,982
yea, Aria made most of dynamic IEM ,except pure-beryllium driver, shy one on agility and transient smoothness, especially for bass response that is very prominent. I recommend removing the iron filter and recabling the Aria, it will be a beast, hard to beat dynamic IEM.

KXXS tuning is about same with Starfield, with only distinctive difference in midrange presentation, it has several layers of “veil” which I can describe “not a muddy veil, rather distorted and crisp harmony of overtones”. The treble resolution is a bit higher on KXXS, so which makes KXXS staying on my routine go-to, as it is one and the only IEM that can reproduce soft touching midrange. KXXS midrange makes harp music very very euphoric. The dumper pedal sound on piano also is another unique one for KXXS.

KXXS is not as warm tuned as Starfield, it’s bright-neutral side. For mid-bass KXXS/Starfield is about the same, you can’t expect Aria class high-fidelity bass transient (fast x impactful)
Thanks for the detailed response to my questions! Seems like I wont purchase the KXXS just yet. I'm really looking more of a neutral iem with faster transients and maybe a different presentation from my current lineup (SSR + Aria) or something that's a bit more resolving.

I quite like the stock cable of the Aria actually. Unless there will be tonal differences if I change to a copper cable (single ended)? I could go balanced but I hate changing cables every time I want to use the IEMs with my L30. I don't want to keep plugging in that 2pin connector when I swap sources.

I just tried the grill removal. It really did make it more open sounding! I'm amazed. More bass impact as well but with the expense of a slower kicks. That's quite an interesting change.

What I don't quite like about it is how forward the vocals get. I do like and appreciate the open-ness quality of it but I value the guitars as well, at least for the stuff I tried. Actually I value guitars and bass over the vocals (but I still hate a recessed vocals presentation). The instruments seemed like they took the back seat while the singer went forward, out in the open.

I put the grill back on and everything became balanced again at least for what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #8,337 of 11,982
Thanks for the detailed response to my questions! Seems like I wont purchase the KXXS just yet. I'm really looking more of a neutral iem with faster transients and maybe a different presentation from my current lineup (SSR + Aria) or something that's a bit more resolving.

I quite like the stock cable of the Aria actually. Unless there will be tonal differences if I change to a copper cable (single ended)? I could go balanced but I hate changing cables every time I want to use the IEMs with my L30. I don't want to keep plugging in that 2pin connector when I swap sources.

I just tried the grill removal. It really did make it more open sounding! I'm amazed. More bass impact as well but with the expense of a slower kicks. That's quite an interesting change.

What I don't quite like about it is how forward the vocals get. I do like and appreciate the open-ness quality of it but I value the guitars as well, at least for the stuff I tried. Actually I value guitars and bass over the vocals (but I still hate a recessed vocals presentation). The instruments seemed like they took the back seat while the singer went forward, out in the open.

I put the grill back on and everything became balanced again at least for what I'm looking for.
From your comment, you probably liked V-tuning so, the forward vocal is what you didn’t find it with your taste, so it is understandable, each one got their own favorite👍 That forward vocal is rather standard tuning across Moondrop’s house sound, so I find it be more suitable. Did you removed whole dumper filters (iron+mesh) or just outer iron part? I tried both, and once all filters are removed the sound went out of control, the mesh filter needs to stay to keep minimum compliance.

There will be a tonal difference by changing cable I’d suggest just try and you will notice. Either SE or balanced, stock cable is not recommended. It only tune Aria to Harman curve with sacrifice of muffled midrange.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #8,339 of 11,982
From your comment, you probably liked V-tuning so, the forward vocal is what you didn’t find it with your taste, so it is understandable, each one got their own favorite👍 That forward vocal is rather standard tuning across Moondrop’s house sound, so I find it be more suitable. Did you removed whole dumper filters (iron+mesh) or just outer iron part? I tried both, and once all filters are removed the sound went out of control, the mesh filter needs to stay to keep minimum compliance.

There will be a tonal difference by changing cable I’d suggest just try and you will notice. Either SE or balanced, stock cable is not recommended. It only tune Aria to Harman curve with sacrifice of muffled midrange.
Which cable do you suggest? Pure copper or SPC?

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #8,340 of 11,982
1624509060939.png

Should be similar to the Monarch?

Also very similar to the Dusk but with treble extension and more sub-bass.
1624509480773.png

Thanks to @MRSallee for the graphs :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back