Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 2, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #7,771 of 11,979
I think it depends on your budget though. The Aria is really good for it's asking price, so unless you're willing to fork out a lot more...
Nah, a lot more is not an option I am willing to give in. I have never been into IEMs and such, but I find them better in daily job than full size cans, so I these are my first steps. I have noticed a pair of similarly priced earphones, though they are more of "earbud" type, that are available locally. I might just go weird and impulsively order Aria or one of these, as deciding is not simple.

May 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #7,773 of 11,979
At most I could hear vague piano tones other than the few notes at 1:55
It’s identifiable from 1:00- on my Aria. But first minutes, I couldn’t tell if any piano notes were embedded within. Let me try with my most resolving MEST MKii

May 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #7,774 of 11,979
Nah, a lot more is not an option I am willing to give in. I have never been into IEMs and such, but I find them better in daily job than full size cans, so I these are my first steps. I have noticed a pair of similarly priced earphones, though they are more of "earbud" type, that are available locally. I might just go weird and impulsively order Aria or one of these, as deciding is not simple.
Hmm I'd actually say budget IEMs perform better than similarly budget headphones, so I think you will likely be happy. What headphones have you used before, and with which DACs and amps?

May 2, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #7,777 of 11,979
It’s identifiable from 1:00- on my Aria. But first minutes, I couldn’t tell if any piano notes were embedded within. Let me try with my most resolving MEST MKii
With MEST MkII, a slightest faint piano fill-in at the end of intro around 0:18, I guess that spot of tone is exactly Aria is bad at. But yes that Piano is not natural, it’s skewed to the theme so I’d believe if someone told me that’s keyboard 😂

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #7,778 of 11,979
Honestly, Aria sound very satisfying with metal, even after listening with my rock reference UM MEST MKII, the price of those two vary by almost 20 times, and the emotional satisfaction was only like 85/100 vs 98/100, not huge difference.

May 2, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #7,779 of 11,979
Hmm I'd actually say budget IEMs perform better than similarly budget headphones, so I think you will likely be happy. What headphones have you used before, and with which DACs and amps?
Well, apart from my previous easily forgotten phones (most of them were slowly destroyed by my experiments as I practiced soldering and building amps) made by Sony/Philips and such, at the moment I am using mostly ESS 422H, Open back KPH30i drivers mounted in Monoprice shells, cheap Samsung/AKG dual driver buds.
I use BTR5, Hiby R3 PRO, LT1210 based DIY amp, germanium SE amp, building something more, but usually very slowly :D I would say that for IEMs I would use R3 Pro mostly as portable solution. I have definitely tried more amps in my life than anything else, because those can be built somewhat a lot easier.

May 2, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #7,780 of 11,979
Oh I apologize if you thought i was trying to be defensive. Absolutely wasn't what I meant. I've just seen people come into these threads, see comments about burn-in being conclusively anything, and start to go off the rails. Just wanted to get ahead of any of that.

I, personally, didn't find your statement inflammatory at all. Congratulations on being able to enjoy them more!
Thanks, I appreciate the understanding. I replied in a hurry when stressed about a home situation.

May 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #7,781 of 11,979
With MEST MkII, a slightest faint piano fill-in at the end of intro around 0:18, I guess that spot of tone is exactly Aria is bad at. But yes that Piano is not natural, it’s skewed to the theme so I’d believe if someone told me that’s keyboard 😂
Besides its fighting with the band and orchestra,in the last 20 seconds it has a bit more presence as its being played "harder".

May 2, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #7,782 of 11,979
Just uploaded my gitadora gameplay to play on M11Pro with Aria, finally that’s a lot better to tell from the noisy background😂

May 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #7,783 of 11,979
Are you guys trying to distinguish between a 'natural' piano sound and fairly standard metal keyboard with the Fleshgod Apocalypse song linked?

From my perspective the keyboard on that song is super obvious to the point that I simply wouldn't want to listen to headphones that couldn't render it clearly in the mix. That's a good example of what I was talking about a couple weeks ago when I said that my highest priority by far is sound separation in a complex/busy mix. Headphones I spend more than $50 on need to be able to handle a track like that.

I'm not entirely certain that song even has an orchestra. It might only be choral recordings with everything else done on keyboard. If it weren't for the chant in the intro I would honestly just assume it's all keyboard. Keyboard recorded good enough I could buy orchestral too. It's hard to tell some of the time. If it does have an orchestra the keyboardist is definitely visually playing orchestral parts in the video.

Now can you make out the harp throughout much of Erra's Dementia... :smile:

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,784 of 11,979
Well, apart from my previous easily forgotten phones (most of them were slowly destroyed by my experiments as I practiced soldering and building amps) made by Sony/Philips and such, at the moment I am using mostly ESS 422H, Open back KPH30i drivers mounted in Monoprice shells, cheap Samsung/AKG dual driver buds.
I use BTR5, Hiby R3 PRO, LT1210 based DIY amp, germanium SE amp, building something more, but usually very slowly :D I would say that for IEMs I would use R3 Pro mostly as portable solution. I have definitely tried more amps in my life than anything else, because those can be built somewhat a lot easier.
Ahh the R3 pro... Such nostalgia :relieved:
It used to be one of the *DAPs I wanted and demoed some time back! But yeah I think you should enjoy the Aria to a reasonable extent. What are the other earbuds that you're looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back