Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #166 of 12,007
...or so I thought...
According to DHL the KPEs were schedlued for delivery yesterday or today, but have been in customs since 12/31.
I checked how long that typically takes, people are talking about 2-6 weeks! :triportsad:
Still, it's actually quite amazing how we can shop around the world! :)

I'm in the exact same situation. Paid for customs and taxes, would be delivered yesterday and it's stuck at: customs status updated (31/12/18), but no recent changes.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #167 of 12,007
I'm in the exact same situation. Paid for customs and taxes, would be delivered yesterday and it's stuck at: customs status updated (31/12/18), but no recent changes.

At least I just received the MandarinEs Symbio W ear tips, and I really like them with my Pinnacle P1 1 IEMs.
One of my big issues with IEMs is getting a good seal, comfort and secure seat.
My favorite so far was a small foam tip that came with the 1More Triples, which provided good seal and good lower frequencies, while still being moderately easy to insert and acceptably comfortable.

The Symbio W are quite firm, and the memory foam prevents the silicone from being deformed when seating them in the ear canal. That makes it easier and more comfortable for me to insert them and they seal very well in the outer ear canal without having to push them uncomfortably deep into the ear.
The sound is much crisper and cleaner with the Symbio W compared to the foam tips, with more energy and clarity, more forward mids and highs combined with a slightly leaner but cleaner and tighter low frequency range. Less forgiving (in the upper frequencies) but really nice with good recordings! They are seemingly combining the crisp sound of silicone tips with the good seal of foam and adding good comfort.

I went back to the other favorite tips with the P1, the Spinfit silicone tips and the comply foam tips.
The difference is quite big, IMHO. I summarized the impressions below:

Comply: "Warm and baasy" more bass, but not as clean, warmer and subdued/muffled mids and highs, less punch

MandarinEs: "Clear, clean and energetic": less bass quantity compared to comply, but clean and tight bass, clear, punchy sound, (much) more energy in mids and highs, more forward.

Spinfit: "Smooth and relaxed, slightly mid centric": slightly less bass than MandarinEs, a little smoother and relaxed, somewhat less clarity and less energy than MandarinEs. Seems more mid-centric with slightly reduced bass and treble (compared to MandarinEs)

Combining these impressions with the opinions about the Kanas and Kanas Pro it makes perfect sense to me that Klaus on Headflux liked the MandarinEs Symbio for the KPE.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #168 of 12,007
Can you easily hear bass guitars in metal or clearly differentiate between a mid tom and low tom? The F9 Pro is another IEMs I've seen described as hard bass hitting when present in song, yet I have a hard time hearing all the bass notes with it.
I will have to test that out and report back. If you have certain tracks in mind, let me know. I’ve tried some Gojira, Metallica, Anthrax and the bass sounds good but I didn’t specifically listen for the toms.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #170 of 12,007
I'm scared, do these ACTUALLY give the Vega a run for their money?
IMO, the KP highs are smoother than what I remember from my Vega which had some treble spikes. I just found the KP to be overall more realistic.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #171 of 12,007
i just purchased Final E5000, anyone have these?
I did have them for a couple of months but found them very power-hungry and for smartphone use, the lack of power hindered the performance. With a good headphone amp, they performed quite well. I ended up with the Final/AK AKR-02 and never looked back.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #172 of 12,007
I did have them for a couple of months but found them very power-hungry and for smartphone use, the lack of power hindered the performance. With a good headphone amp, they performed quite well. I ended up with the Final/AK AKR-02 and never looked back.
the description for them is that the sound is dark, creamy and full bodied, i miss that kind of tunning since i sold my Nighthawk

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #174 of 12,007
the description for them is that the sound is dark, creamy and full bodied, i miss that kind of tunning since i sold my Nighthawk
Since you mention it, yes, the E5000 did sound quite similar to my Nighthawks when the Final was driven with adequate power. IMO, if you like the Nighthawk SQ, you will probably like the E5000 a lot.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #176 of 12,007
i just purchased Final E5000, anyone have these?

Very pleasant and relaxing sound, good to listen when you want to go to sleep, but a little too thick for my taste. Also, very hard to drive. My V20 can't drive them without the high impedance mod. No use for a Switch or other portable devices without an amp.

I prefer the E4000 which are easier to drive, a little more lively, clear in the vocals, quicker bass and a bit more energy. Both E4000 and E5000 are warm and thick as molasses but with a very pleasant and relaxing sound. They might not be the clearest sounding IEMs, actually compared to my other IEMs they sound muddy, but the details are there, clear to hear just smooth. No sound too upfront to cover another, everything is there polite playing in the soundstage in perfect harmony and separation. Initially I wasn't very impressed with them, muddy, little recessed vocals, but after listening for a few hours they came alive, I just didn't want to take them out of my ears. Actually I've been listening to them for almost a week now, from morning till sleep and still don't want to take them out, with my other IEMs I need a break, not with these, very pleasant sound. Soundstage is amazing too, deep and wide.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #177 of 12,007
Very pleasant and relaxing sound, good to listen when you want to go to sleep, but a little too thick for my taste. Also, very hard to drive. My V20 can't drive them without the high impedance mod. No use for a Switch or other portable devices without an amp.

I prefer the E4000 which are easier to drive, a little more lively, clear in the vocals, quicker bass and a bit more energy. Both E4000 and E5000 are warm and thick as molasses but with a very pleasant and relaxing sound. They might not be the clearest sounding IEMs, actually compared to my other IEMs they sound muddy, but the details are there, clear to hear just smooth. No sound too upfront to cover another, everything is there polite playing in the soundstage in perfect harmony and separation. Initially I wasn't very impressed with them, muddy, little recessed vocals, but after listening for a few hours they came alive, I just didn't want to take them out of my ears. Actually I've been listening to them for almost a week now, from morning till sleep and still don't want to take them out, with my other IEMs I need a break, not with these, very pleasant sound. Soundstage is amazing too, deep and wide.
thanks bro, i will run them balanced from my dac, single ended out will be probably weak but on balanced mode it outputs double the power

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #180 of 12,007
Ibasso it01s seems like the logical contender for these kanas. Depending on how much i like the single driver from moondrop, and some people keep praising the ibasso, my curiosity will only grow.

Also, i am very tempted to try the moondrop crescent. The "clavinetmoron" guy from youtube likes them more than the arya, acording to aliexpress feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back