Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,561 of 1,920
and it looks like the Moon (for some inexplicable reason) is requesting power over the USB port...

For many dacs, even if their have their own power supply, the usb receiver chip still takes power from the usb line. It's more like that last piece is behaving like part of the source rather than the dac. .

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,562 of 1,920
What is best for HE1000V2, high or low Gain?

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,563 of 1,920
no best...experiment and see which you like better..personally i like low gain because it allows me to let it breath a bit and turn the volume up a bit more but i have heard others voice different views

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,564 of 1,920
I was just enjoying my 430HAD.

I just noticed a tick/pop noise when adjusting volume up and down. Seems like its not on every song, but almost every time. Using tidal from imac with usb. Anyone else has this?

I saw someone earlier in the thread mention the same thing. Is my unit defective?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,566 of 1,920
I tested with spotify and youtube also, and tested with PC and iPad and iPhone, it makes the same flickering sound, most audible between 50-62 with my he1000v2, its very noticeable, almost like it gets worse when the bass comes.. It really breaks up the enjoyment...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,567 of 1,920
Are you using usb? And get no noise when scrolling on the volume knob?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,568 of 1,920
I was just enjoying my 430HAD.

I just noticed a tick/pop noise when adjusting volume up and down. Seems like its not on every song, but almost every time. Using tidal from imac with usb. Anyone else has this?

I saw someone earlier in the thread mention the same thing. Is my unit defective?

i get this too. a little static when adjusting volume. so faint it doesn't bother me, so i'm not going to pursue fixing it.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #1,569 of 1,920
i get this too. a little static when adjusting volume. so faint it doesn't bother me, so i'm not going to pursue fixing it.

Hi. Are you using usb? Have you tried another digital cable/optical ?

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,570 of 1,920
This static popst really bugs me alot. Would someone else also test to se if they have the static noise? Its most present with a little calm music with some bass. Its on every song just appears lower when there is no bass.

Examlpe just to se if you have the noise when scrolling little up and down around listening level, mine is at level volume 50 - 65.

Adele - when we were young

Its very audible in the beginning of this track.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,571 of 1,920
This static popst really bugs me alot. Would someone else also test to se if they have the static noise? Its most present with a little calm music with some bass. Its on every song just appears lower when there is no bass.

Examlpe just to se if you have the noise when scrolling little up and down around listening level, mine is at level volume 50 - 65.

Adele - when we were young

Its very audible in the beginning of this track.

What do you have the bitrate set to in windows?

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,572 of 1,920
I have no static

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,573 of 1,920
What do you have the bitrate set to in windows?
I use imac and run tidal exclusive mode and force volume. Its the same when i tried spotify and youtube and and with PC. Didnt change Bitrate on pc, and installed drivers before testing.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,574 of 1,920
I use imac and run tidal exclusive mode and force volume. Its the same when i tried spotify and youtube and and with PC. Didnt change Bitrate on pc, and installed drivers before testing.

I have a very similar setup and haven't noticed what you're describing. Can you PM with with the exact set of steps you go through to get this, and I'll see if I can replicate it on my end.
details:
- what song in Tidal (you mentioned "Adele - when we were young")
- what interface into the 430HAD (assume USB?)
- settings on the 430HAD (xfeed, gain level, etc)
- what you do to introduce the "popping sound" or whether it happens randomly -- it wasn't clear to me what makes this happen. Is this simply scrolling in the Tidal app?
- does this happen when you do something in the App, or when you adjust volume on the 430HAD?

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,575 of 1,920
I have a very similar setup and haven't noticed what you're describing. Can you PM with with the exact set of steps you go through to get this, and I'll see if I can replicate it on my end.
details:
- what song in Tidal (you mentioned "Adele - when we were young")
- what interface into the 430HAD (assume USB?)
- settings on the 430HAD (xfeed, gain level, etc)
- what you do to introduce the "popping sound" or whether it happens randomly -- it wasn't clear to me what makes this happen. Is this simply scrolling in the Tidal app?
- does this happen when you do something in the App, or when you adjust volume on the 430HAD?

For the benefit of anyone else watching the thread...

- I tried to replicate this. I don't /think/ there is an issue here (when rapidly changing the volume control) .. but I think I could hear /something/
- I /think/ I could hear a slight artifact but it involved madly spinning the volume control
- my headphones are too sensitive to easily listen to music in the '50s of the volume control, so this wasn't easy to replicate
- I could only hear the slight distortions when I was on the USB input. When I used an external DAC, I didn't hear any distortion or artifact even when rapidly spinning the dial (other than a really loud headphone) :)
- again, I didn't hear anything in normal operation. I had to madly spin the dial before I heard anything odd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back