Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #961 of 1,920
  Hi guys,

I just got my Simaudio Neo 430HA w/ DAC and fired it up today with my HD650 and OMG I have to say it is the best sound I have heard through these headphones.  I feel the veil has been lifted from the hd650.  I am so impressed.  

Thanks!

Don 
o2smile.gif

Good stuff !

Glad your enjoying it.  Its true also that it really comes into its own after the 300 hour mark.

Great synergy with the HD-800 balanced

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #962 of 1,920
So today I was listening to my Neo 430ha with my Senn HD650 using Tidal and starting listening to Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" in HiFi resolution and I noticed there some distortion.  Especially, when she starts hitting the high notes.  Has anyone else experienced this with this song?  I tried with my Grado headphones and noticed the same distortion. Every time she comes in hitting a note hard and high it sounds like there is some distortion.  Noticed the left side is distorting the most at 1.13 of the song.  I tried both low and high gain and same.  Anyone else experience this?  I even tried the same song on Jriver and same distortion.  I don't remember this with my other dac/amps except when I had the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 which was a brighter dac/amp.  By all means I am not trying to compare the DC-1 to the 430ha.  Maybe I need to let the amp burn in?  Or is it just the recording?  Other songs I have played sound really good so far.  

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #964 of 1,920
  So today I was listening to my Neo 430ha with my Senn HD650 using Tidal and starting listening to Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" in HiFi resolution and I noticed there some distortion.  Especially, when she starts hitting the high notes.  Has anyone else experienced this with this song?  I tried with my Grado headphones and noticed the same distortion. Every time she comes in hitting a note hard and high it sounds like there is some distortion.  Noticed the left side is distorting the most at 1.13 of the song.  I tried both low and high gain and same.  Anyone else experience this?  I even tried the same song on Jriver and same distortion.  I don't remember this with my other dac/amps except when I had the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 which was a brighter dac/amp.  By all means I am not trying to compare the DC-1 to the 430ha.  Maybe I need to let the amp burn in?  Or is it just the recording?  Other songs I have played sound really good so far.  

What you may find with such a top tier piece of gear such as the 430HA-D is that it can be quite revealing especially on poorly recorded music.

Music that passed the listening test on my former Bryston BHA-1 the same is not as true for the 430HA.

Consider this though that the 430HA is regarded as a neutral sounding amp and what you are hearing is totally normal IMO.

It picks up the details and presents them to you without the sugar coating.

On the plus side there is always a better version of the same recording available and that the onboard DAC is somewhat forgiving (warm in nature IMO).

True though things will settle in as burn in continues and the soundstage will open up considerably.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #965 of 1,920

What you may find with such a top tier piece of gear such as the 430HA-D is that it can be quite revealing especially on poorly recorded music.

Music that passed the listening test on my former Bryston BHA-1 the same is not as true for the 430HA.

Consider this though that the 430HA is regarded as a neutral sounding amp and what you are hearing is totally normal IMO.

It picks up the details and presents them to you without the sugar coating.

On the plus side there is always a better version of the same recording available and that the onboard DAC is somewhat forgiving (warm in nature IMO).

True though things will settle in as burn in continues and the soundstage will open up considerably.

Yeah, I use to own the Bryston BHA-1 and I remember that amp being on the brighter side but had better sound stage when I compared to Schiit Mjolnir when I owned both.  You are right.  Its probably a bad recording.  I love the 430ha and is a definite keeper.  Thank you.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #966 of 1,920
Don welcome to the 430HA club!

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #967 of 1,920
Ordered a black one today with the DAC.  They are saying next Friday.  Looking forwards to reading Tyll's report on 430HAD with the HD800 S this weekend.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #968 of 1,920
I have that exact unit sitting here doing a great job on a snowy Friday night. You will love it!

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #969 of 1,920
Here is a shot from tonight to tide you over....

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #970 of 1,920
Mar 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #972 of 1,920
Both are live at the same time. The only sonic difference is volume unique to their respective impedance levels. There is also a bit of a bump from Balanced vs SE.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #973 of 1,920
  Both are live at the same time. The only sonic difference is volume unique to their respective impedance levels. There is also a bit of a bump from Balanced vs SE.

Why 2 headphones work together?! Why there is no option to turn off one of the outputs (I don't want to disconnect cables)?
This is important while listening to open headphones, where you don't need to hear a second headphones in the background. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #974 of 1,920
You put in a switch and then you have a variable in a circuit that is designed to be as simple as possible. Purity over convenience sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back