Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #647 of 1,920

Hi,

I'm currently driving my HD800 straight out of my Hugo. I love it, but I often think of adding a full size amp. I've narrowed it down to the Bakoon HPA-21 and the Moon 430HA, and was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I do want to add some lush emotionality to the HD800's but retain transparency and detail. I really value "take you there" holographic imaging with a large soundstage. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Finally, and I don't want to discourage you or sound arrogant or negative, but I wouldn't buy a $3500 amp without auditioning it very carefully together with other amps and I would also add DAC's to that test and really try different combinations, also with your Hugo. You say that you love Hugo, but you're still willing to spend +$1000 more than the price of Hugo on an amp alone...

Hope this helps. If you want more info about 430, let me know

Good advice about auditioning any amp. I have listened to many amps with my HD800's and I bought the 430HA. It is my SS reference. That said, You will want to spend some meaningful time with any amp at this price before pulling the trigger. If you could find a dealer who has a demo opportunity where you could spend a couple of weeks before making a purchase decision that would be your best bet.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #648 of 1,920
I replaced my Vega with a Bel Canto DAC 3.5 with a Ref pwr supply and Ref USB SPDIF converter and it was a sizable upgrade for $4000 from the used market. This three chassis DAC with the 430ha is transparent enough to clearly show if my external hard drives are not plugged in correct polarity . I also plan to try the Yaggy with the Moon.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #649 of 1,920
I replaced my Vega with a Bel Canto DAC 3.5 with a Ref pwr supply and Ref USB SPDIF converter and it was a sizable upgrade for $4000 from the used market. This three chassis DAC with the 430ha is transparent enough to clearly show if my external hard drives are not plugged in correct polarity . I also plan to try the Yaggy with the Moon.
Intersting. Please share your thoughts about Yggdrasil and 430.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #650 of 1,920
Aktersnurra, 

You mentioned, "Also, try to get the HAD version of 430 and compare it with Hugo + 430 (amp only). I won't tell you what I thought about the comparison, it's for another article." That's a pretty key comparison for me, as if I go the 430HA route, it will either be the Hugo + 430HA or sell the Hugo and get the all-in-one 430HAD (w/ DAC). Between those two options could you describe the way either one comes out ahead?

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #652 of 1,920
  .... Looking at the amp alone, to my ears it's endgame. I'll start by testing a bunch of DAC's to match the 430, invest and use it together with my current amp (Sennheiser HDVA600) and then take the step...

That might be a slippery slope. I have my 430HA (no DAC) hooked up to my Auralic Vega. I use a modded HD800 and modded HE6. The weak link in my audio chain is the DAC. The Vega is a seriously good unit for the money, but is now the weakest link.

The problem is - where to from here? I don't see much point in getting a marginally better DAC, and significantly better DACs are up in the 10 to 20K bracket (or beyond). That is way beyond my means and how far I am prepared to go.

My plan is to sit back and enjoy the Vega for another couple of years and see where the market goes. I am hoping that the SQ that costs 10 to 20K today will trickle down to the 5K price range in a 2 or 3 years. That might be crazy thinking, but dreams are free.

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #654 of 1,920
Aktersnurra, I think I have a good handle on what happened in the process of auditioning the 430ha and why that led you to the approach you're taking. It's the interesting thing with audio that in exploring you inevitably discover things you weren't looking for--as in all of life. For instance, I entered this thread just looking to upgrade my amp, perfectly content with my Hugo as a source. Now--darn it--I'm looking to upgrade my DAC (my first stop is Yggdrasil). 

But, as you said, you're looking into the next years. I am too, and so it's a step at a time. Not having a capable desktop amp like your HDVA600, I have to look at the amp first, and then DAC. This is why asked about the Hugo feeding the 430ha vs. the $800 internal DAC card, because that will be my intermediary point. I understand neither of these options take you to where you want to be, but could you describe a little of your experience in comparing them. I'll have a little time to audition the Moon Neo for myself but some orientation would provide a helpful starting point of reference. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #655 of 1,920
You're exactly right, that's why the 430HA is so scary
smily_headphones1.gif

And I believe you're doing the right thing with what you have at the moment. I'm not as deep in yet...

I still believe there is a 'perfect' match for the 430 that isn't MSB V or similar. What about the 380d DSD ?
That's first on my my list to try.

On the other hand, I will explore the tube way too. Maybe that's my savior?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking hard at the new 780D, until I saw the price tag. That killed it pretty fast.

My best guess (and it is just a guess at this point) is that the 380D would be a marginal improvement over the Vega - not a big step change that could justify the cost.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #656 of 1,920
I was looking hard at the new 780D, until I saw the price tag. That killed it pretty fast.

My best guess (and it is just a guess at this point) is that the 380D would be a marginal improvement over the Vega - not a big step change that could justify the cost.

I'm thinking 780D down the line too :thumbsup:

Wanting to use the 600i integrated as a headphone amp, so a two stack would be nice..

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #657 of 1,920
I'm thinking 780D down the line too :thumbsup:

Wanting to use the 600i integrated as a headphone amp, so a two stack would be nice..

I am having a buddy gut a HiFiMan adapter box so it is a direct connection with no resistors - Speaker Taps -> XLR, then hook that up to my Accuphase P-4200 power amp. The 430HA is also my preamp. From there I can plug any headphone into the P-4200. Have to be extremely careful with the gain knob, of course, but it will be interesting.

My headphones of choice are the modded HE6 and modded HD800 - both of which respond well to more power. Will be fun to see what 150W of class A/B goodness can do for them.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #658 of 1,920

If these are your 2 options - I would strongly suggest a thorough listening test to compare. There's no cutting corners to such an investment in my opinion...

I will for certain keep my Hugo, but then again I use it for portable sessions, and not for desktop. I will follow another route; upgrade DAC, then get 430HA or something in the same league. Hugo + 430HA is not an alternative for me, neither is 430HAD alone. Why? Because 430HA revealed just how much you can scale HD800 - and the built-in DAC of 430HA didn't take me all the way. Neither did Hugo + 430HA. Looking at the amp alone, to my ears it's endgame. I'll start by testing a bunch of DAC's to match the 430, invest and use it together with my current amp (Sennheiser HDVA600) and then take the step...

I'll post a link to the full review once it's up on http://blog.moon-audio.com/

I am having great luck with the 430HA and the Pulse Infinity. They drive both the HD800's and the LCD-X's beautifully.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #659 of 1,920

My plan is to sit back and enjoy the Vega for another couple of years and see where the market goes. I am hoping that the SQ that costs 10 to 20K today will trickle down to the 5K price range in a 2 or 3 years. That might be crazy thinking, but dreams are free.

I think Meitner MA1 could be promising upgrade from Vega and it could be around $4000 from second hand..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back