Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Sep 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #634 of 1,920
  230HAD have been running for about 60 hours straight.

First impressions:

1. Sound signature is very clean, but not sterile. It does not have the analogue touch like the 430HAD.
2. Volume control comes nowhere near 430HAD.
3. The LED's are constructed in a way that you have to 'do the math' to get it.
DSD, 44.1, 48, 2x and 4x are the leds to indicate sample rate. So for instance a 96kHz sample rate would be indicated with 44.1 LED and 2x LED turned on.
4. As a stand alone DAC feeding Sennheisers HDVA600 is a nice experience at least with HD800 and in my ears. But it's different. The HDVA600 is a bit meatier and full sounding. But 230HAD is really good on its own with a very wide soundstage. It performs well with a variety of genres. With jazz it feels relaxed and maybe not as refined as I would've preferred it.

These are just intitial impressions but I'd say that the 230HAD is a very nice all-rounder that I would be happy to have in an office setting - I'll actually try it with Beyerdynamic T5p in my office later this week compared to Chord Hugo. Also if you need the desktop space, this is a good option. But there's a lot to choose from in the $1500 range...

I have had my 230HAD for about 3 weeks and have let it run non stop. The 230HAD really comes together in week 3. From your description the fullness that it is capable of really happens around the 300 hour mark. The top end also smoothes out and there is more flesh on the bone so to speak.

I have a 430HAD on the way and am going to keep both. As you say, if you just need to add a DAC/headphone amp to an existing system or a simple computer setup there are a lot of choices in the $1500 range but I think the 230HAD is very competitive. It also offers basic preamp functionality which is handy.

I also have a Sennheiser HDVD 800 which I have compared the 230HAD to and I think the Sim is a viable competitor and surpassed the HDVD 800 in the feeling of life in the music. Not as sterile sounding, more punch and dynamics in the low end. In short, more fun to listen to.

At more than double the price I am expecting the 430HAD to wow me even more.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #636 of 1,920
The difference in my opinion is not in the DAC but in the amp. Sound signature is similar to my ears, but 430 is just a beast of an amp. Using the DAC section of 230HAD and HDVA600 was a nice combo which brought it closer to 430HAD however everything I connected to the 430 came out very nicely.

Agreed on value for money. I also discovered that 230HAD is very agile. Works well with all sorts of music and will be very nice to try with a closed back hp (beyerdynamic T5p)

I will plan to get the 430HA without DAC and use with current CDP and Chord Hugo. Then adding a full size DAC to close the game.

Agreed, I expect the 430 and 230 DAC sections are quite similar but the surrounding circuitry and power supply improvements really should make a marked improvement for the 430. The Simaudio Evolution series volume control should also bring something special to the 430. I very much look forward to the 430HAD.

I have tried the 230HAD with the Beyerdynamics T1s and they mesh very well (I liked the combo better than with the Beyer A1 amp) so the T5ps should work nicely as well. I also have used the 230 with HD 800s, Audioquest Nighthawks, AKG 702 Annies, NAD Viso HP50s, B&W P7s and a few others. I haven't found a bad combo in the bunch with the 230HAD where the Sennheiser HDVD 800 seemed to be more purpose built for the HD 800s and bit too sterile with some other cans.

Have you compared the Hugo to the Hugo TT? I had a listen to the TT and the Simaudio 280D and, for the cost difference, I went with the 280D. If price were no object the TT would have won but not by as large a margin as you might expect.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #638 of 1,920
Nope, but I'm trying the 380d DSD and the 780d in a few weeks. Have my eyes on both.
I use the Hugo for travels and around the house and TT is not on my list for new desktop DAC. Interesting that you chose the 280 over TT. I really love the Hugo but think I'm looking for a bigger step up when upgrading DAC, or more outsourcing the built in DAC in my CDP which it is basically what I'm doing
wink.gif

Agreed on volume control on 430 it's really one of a kind. I've never experienced something quite like it. Absolutely stunning. But in the end I think that the $800 for the DAC is a steal on 430 but in the long term looking for an end game setup, I'm going to save the money and get the 430HA without D.

Essentially I think that Hugo is better than 230HAD but as you say for ppl looking for a very nice solution, already owning a full size 2ch stereo, it's perfect!
430HAD can be more the center of which 2 systems are built around, both HP and full size

I think you are going to really like the 380 DSD. It has the same level of upgraded power supply as the 430HA. I wish I could swing it myself but the 280D is pretty good in it's own right and financially will have to do for now plus, I do like that I can use APTX from my tablet which can't be done with the 380 DSD. I also picked up a 260T transport from Simaudio which works very nicely with the 280D so I think I'm stopping there for now.

I would love to hear the 780D at some point in an all Evolution system if only to know what I am missing.

I agree, $800 for the DAC in the 430HAD is a bargain. Which is why I am buying it in that flavor and I can move it between systems if needed. I also like that the 230HAD doesn't take up much space with my Ultrabook set up and a pair of speakers. The fact that the 230HAD (DAC only) is pretty close to the 430HAD DAC section makes it all the more impressive.

I'd be interested in your impressions on the 230HAD versus the Hugo after a bit more time on the 230. Mostly the headphone stage. I suspect they may be close.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #639 of 1,920
I think you are going to really like the 380 DSD. It has the same level of upgraded power supply as the 430HA. I wish I could swing it myself but the 280D is pretty good in it's own right and financially will have to do for now plus, I do like that I can use APTX from my tablet which can't be done with the 380 DSD. I also picked up a 260T transport from Simaudio which works very nicely with the 280D so I think I'm stopping there for now.

I would love to hear the 780D at some point in an all Evolution system if only to know what I am missing.

I agree, $800 for the DAC in the 430HAD is a bargain. Which is why I am buying it in that flavor and I can move it between systems if needed. I also like that the 230HAD doesn't take up much space with my Ultrabook set up and a pair of speakers. The fact that the 230HAD (DAC only) is pretty close to the 430HAD DAC section makes it all the more impressive.

I'd be interested in your impressions on the 230HAD versus the Hugo after a bit more time on the 230. Mostly the headphone stage. I suspect they may be close.

Yeah, will get back with more impressions.
How does the aptx work in terms of SQ? I know the Hugo has the same feature but haven't used it much.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #640 of 1,920
Yeah, will get back with more impressions.
How does the aptx work in terms of SQ? I know the Hugo has the same feature but haven't used it much.

I look forward to your impressions.

aptX streaming on the 280D is quite good actually. No drop outs or stutters and the sound quality is more than adequate for background music from various internet radio stations at higher bit rates. I compared it to aptX on my Audioengine B1 and the DAC section of the Simaudio 280D does help so altogether, a nice add in. The feature comes in handy when friends are over and some background music is needed and I don't want to manage my own collection. I hear the Bluetooth feature is on the list as an upgrade for the 380 DSD but not in the immediate future.

In context, I would say aptX through the 280D is not too far off regular 16/44.1 sound quality with the right streams.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #641 of 1,920
Hi,

I'm currently driving my HD800 straight out of my Hugo. I love it, but I often think of adding a full size amp. I've narrowed it down to the Bakoon HPA-21 and the Moon 430HA, and was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I do want to add some lush emotionality to the HD800's but retain transparency and detail. I really value "take you there" holographic imaging with a large soundstage. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #643 of 1,920
Hi Aktersnurra, 

I really appreciate your thoughtful reply, esp. as you have experience with both the Moon Neo and the Hugo. I think we may have different approaches and aims. I do love the Hugo. However, I think the consensus is that the DAC section is what makes it truly spectacular and the amp could be improved upon. I've read extensively on arguments that the Hugo DAC and amp are indissoluble and that adding an amp only compromises transparency. But, in the end, I side with those who believe the Hugo is a world class DAC mated to a merely capable amp. So, I agree with you that the DAC is the center of a system, and, for now, i would like that center to be the Hugo I love.

The thinking is then to upgrade the amp section with a world class amp like the 430HA to better drive the HD800. In doing that, I really am very interested in improving the scale of the soundstage. So I am very interested in your comment that the 430HA "didn't change the soundstage - it just showed the potential of HD800 and just how big the stage can get." I'm sure you have something specific and insightful in mind, but I have to say you confused me in the way you phrased it. Could you tell me a bit more of what you have in mind?  

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #645 of 1,920

... What I meant was; HD800 has the potential to scale with every step up you make in surrounding equipment, but what I felt with 430HA was that it was sort of pushing HD800 out the stage doors and on to the stage and at first I was really happy but then I realized that on the DAC side, there's a HUGE potential that I do not reach with my current system; not with my current CDP (Linn Unidisk 1.1, dynamik power supply) nor with Chord Hugo. Not because Hugo is not good - but because it was like 430HA opened the doors to what HD800 really can be. So the solution for me is not to start with 430HA (or similar high end solid state or tube) but to have a real look at DAC's and THEN add the amp.

I think I get where you are coming from with this. I am running an Auralic Vega DAC - a very good unit - but it is the weak link in my system with the 430HA (and the WA5 with upgraded tubes) driving the modded HD800 / modded HE6.

My problem is that a DAC that is significantly better than the Vega is serious coin (10K+???) - that is just not within my means at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back