Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jun 22, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #512 of 1,920
  ive heard of this company recently and very intrigued. they advertise their items as being one of the very best in the world. design looks very nice. 

They have a great rep and have been around for quite a while. I really enjoy the 430HA - good balance of detail / musicality / warmth - but NOT a neutral device. If you want a more neutral headamp/preamp something like the GS-X Mk2 would be a better choice. If, however, you want a great musical device, then the 430HA is worth your time (I'm not suggesting that the 430HA is better or worse than the GS-X Mk2 - I'm saying they are different in sound signatures).

My 430HA is currently on loan to a store for a demo to another customer - while it is away I am using my Auralic Taurus as SS HeadAmp / Preamp - it is very apparent that the warmth in the sound that I like is (mostly) gone.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #515 of 1,920
  btw, i bet most people without the intent of recording music would prefer lively, fun sound over analytical flat. its the way people were meant to have fun with in the first place. 

Whichever floats your boat. I'm very much in the warm/musical camp, but that isn't for everyone. I'm just glad that Simaudio made this device so that folks like me have another choice in the high end headamp / preamp market.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #516 of 1,920
i  really want to try out one of their power amps with my choice of speakers. its said to be top rated worldwide. problem is, id rather buy someting in my country since its easier. Boulder is another great choice 

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #517 of 1,920
I looked long and hard look at the Moon power amps (Evo 760A in particular), but in the end went with an Accuphase P-4200. I really like the looks (swinging needles is so 70s retro) and the sound is wonderful. Really close call though - I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Moon Evo 760A also.

Here's a pic of the Accuphase (and apologies for going off topic here):

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #518 of 1,920
yeah, ive heard of Accuph somewhere. never listened to them. design isnt really for me but the gold color looks pretty good. basically a gold version of yamaha receiver. The best looking amps ive ever seen are from burmester. you should check them out. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #519 of 1,920
  i  really want to try out one of their power amps with my choice of speakers. its said to be top rated worldwide. problem is, id rather buy someting in my country since its easier. Boulder is another great choice 

Their power amps are natural and might be bright for people who prefer warm and musical sound signature.
The HA430 has nothing to do with Simaudio's sound signature! The Ha430 is slightly warm (again slightly) and musical.

Honestly, anything that has more naturally than the Ha430, is dead bright, fatiguing, boring and cold. I don't understand how people can stick headphones to their ears and listen to daed natural bright sound!
Guys theses are headphones not speakers, this means that every single detail will be penetrating your ears and will be fatiguing after an hour or so.
I totally understand the desire to have dead natural loud speakers system, this is acceptable because the distance is around 3 meters compared to few millimetres to year ears. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #520 of 1,920
Different strokes for different folks.

I would argue that my Auralic Taurus Mk2 is "slightly warm" - my 430HA is quite a bit warmer than that - and that's what I like. Other folks prefer an amp closer to neutral, like the GS-X Mk2.

I like the warmth of the 430HA with my modded HD800 and HE6. These are close to neutral headphones and the warmth of the 430HA pairs nicely with them for me. Other folks might find the sound way too colored for them, or way too bright or whatever. That's fine. This is about getting a sound that satisfies your own tastes and likes and matches up with your gear.

For example - from your gear list I see you have the Vega and 430HA and LCD3F. That combination would be too much for me. Vega + 430HA + HD800/HE6 floats my boat.

Their power amps are natural and might be bright for people who prefer warm and musical sound signature.
The HA430 has nothing to do with Simaudio's sound signature! The Ha430 is slightly warm (again slightly) and musical.

Honestly, anything that has more naturally than the Ha430, is dead bright, fatiguing, boring and cold. I don't understand how people can stick headphones to their ears and listen to daed natural bright sound!
Guys theses are headphones not speakers, this means that every single detail will be penetrating your ears and will be fatiguing after an hour or so.
I totally understand the desire to have dead natural loud speakers system, this is acceptable because the distance is around 3 meters compared to few millimetres to year ears. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #521 of 1,920
  Different strokes for different folks.

I would argue that my Auralic Taurus Mk2 is "slightly warm" - my 430HA is quite a bit warmer than that - and that's what I like. Other folks prefer an amp closer to neutral, like the GS-X Mk2.

I like the warmth of the 430HA with my modded HD800 and HE6. These are close to neutral headphones and the warmth of the 430HA pairs nicely with them for me. Other folks might find the sound way too colored for them, or way too bright or whatever. That's fine. This is about getting a sound that satisfies your own tastes and likes and matches up with your gear.

For example - from your gear list I see you have the Vega and 430HA and LCD3F. That combination would be too much for me. Vega + 430HA + HD800/HE6 floats my boat.

I LOVE warm sound and this is why I like the LCD3F with the HA430. You might not believe it but sometimes I find the combination bright! (180 hours on the HA430)
Maybe I am a warmth and musicality freak 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #522 of 1,920

I LOVE warm sound and this is why I like the LCD3F with the HA430. You might not believe it but sometimes I find the combination bright! (180 hours on the HA430)
Maybe I am a warmth and musicality freak 
biggrin.gif

Might just be
smile.gif
You might also find the 430HA gets even warmer up to around the 300 hours point.

I do love the Vega + 430HA pairing - that is a wonderfully musical + warm + detailed sound. I just can't put anything other than a neutral (or close to neutral) headphone on top of that stack.

If you are into ultra-warm sound you really should check out some of the more musical tube amps - like the WA5 ... etc. Might just be your thing.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #523 of 1,920
I found the Abyss, when paired with the Moon 430 (using the internal DAC) is like combining LCD-3F + HD-800 on steroids :¬)

Soundstage, clarity, depth of bass and coherent mids and musicality.

Mmmmmmmm :¬)

Edit: you most definitely need to give it the 300h burn in as recommended by moon. Big difference!

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #524 of 1,920
  I found the Abyss, when paired with the Moon 430 (using the internal DAC) is like combining LCD-3F + HD-800 on steroids :¬)

Soundstage, clarity, depth of bass and coherent mids and musicality.

Mmmmmmmm :¬)

Edit: you most definitely need to give it the 300h burn in as recommended by moon. Big difference!

Well said @Yoga nothing compares to this combo... Recently have tried Fostex TH900 / Grado 1000e / Sen HD800 / AKG 812 / LCD3 / Beyerdynamic T1 / Fidelo X2 etc(they all good and have their own sound signature; own'em all now LOL); but no comparison with AB1266 by @Joe Skubinski whatsoever; super like the treable as well !!!

However I found my Marantz NA11S1 DAC to be even more musical than Neo 430HA DAC with much more wider sound stage and air as well as depth in bass; its a massive eargasm LOL 
basshead.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #525 of 1,920
  Well said @Yoga nothing compares to this combo... Recently have tried Fostex TH900 / Grado 1000e / Sen HD800 / AKG 812 / LCD3 / Beyerdynamic T1 / Fidelo X2 etc(they all good and have their own sound signature; own'em all now LOL); but no comparison with AB1266 by @Joe Skubinski whatsoever; super like the treable as well !!!

However I found my Marantz NA11S1 DAC to be even more musical than Neo 430HA DAC with much more wider sound stage and air as well as depth in bass; its a massive eargasm LOL 
basshead.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Nice HP collection! :¬)

11S1 - Does that connect to both Tidal and Spotify?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back