Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jun 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #496 of 1,920
Here's the whole problem with the "yes, but is it balanced?" question.
Looking at the block diagram above, would you say this amp is balanced input to output?
If no, them what's balanced?

Well sure... if you remove the resistor legs to ground... and replace the opamps with transformers... and wave your arms around in the air chanting boogaboogabooga while hopping around in a gunny sack...

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #498 of 1,920
  Chris, you are starting another religious discussion....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Which tells you how pointless the discussion really is!   
rolleyes.gif

Well sure... if you remove the resistor legs to ground... and replace the opamps with transformers... and wave your arms around in the air chanting boogaboogabooga while hopping around in a gunny sack...

"remove the resistors to ground"     I'll assume that's a joke, because it is!  
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #500 of 1,920

"remove the resistors to ground"     I'll assume that's a joke, because it is!  
tongue.gif

As any armchair amp designer will tell you, balanced means equal impedance to ground, and what better way to get matching impedance than to remove it entirely. No fuss, no muss! We all know that resistors degrade sound anyways, what with their Johnson-Nyquist thermal witchcraft noise; better to encapsulate everything in rubber for both thermal and electrical insulation, plus bonus vibration absorption. And, uh, Faraday cages! yeah, gool ol' Faraday, can't forget those, peel a layer of foil off your hat and wrap that amp circuitry nice and tight.

biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #501 of 1,920
As any armchair amp designer will tell you, balanced means equal impedance to ground, and what better way to get matching impedance than to remove it entirely. No fuss, no muss!
:D

I will assume you know that is rather messed up.
Those amps have standard differential (i.e. balanced) inputs.
You don't remove the resistor to ground.
The resistor to ground is the reference to ground.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #502 of 1,920
Yes Chris, I was goofing around. I thought the tin foil may have been a giveaway.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #503 of 1,920
Yes Chris, I was goofing around. I thought the tin foil may have been a giveaway.

Ahhhh.......there's a lot of wierd theories out there as to what "balanced amplification" means!
:wink_face:

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #504 of 1,920
Two amps of equal weight, right? :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #506 of 1,920
Two amps of equal weight, right? :)

No, but that's actually a popular misconception.
It actually means the amplifier is perfectly balanced left to right and front to back. :p

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #507 of 1,920
Jun 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #508 of 1,920
That's why we have those pointy cones under the amp. Originally, only a single one was used as a fulcrum in order to determine the balancing point. But more is always better, so they moved up to four. But then less is more, and three is geometrically more stable than four, and also a prime number!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back