Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,771 of 1,920
A quick thread bump. Contemplate this (including dac). I know it’s a little outdated. But the sound signature would pair well with my 800S and was stunning with the Empy recently.
Is there anything like it with technology somewhat more up to date? Where is this at with its product cycle.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,772 of 1,920
A quick thread bump. Contemplate this (including dac). I know it’s a little outdated. But the sound signature would pair well with my 800S and was stunning with the Empy recently.
Is there anything like it with technology somewhat more up to date? Where is this at with its product cycle.
I bought one a couple months back I too was worried if it was outdated, so I auditioned it’s competition as well (chord tt2, McIntosh mha150, Sony ZH1ES, Hugo 2) and still went with it. And the way, I see it, if I wanted another dac, there’s inputs galore to use.

and I would agree with pairing well with your 800S, I use this with my 820, 660S and 580s

as for its life cycle, there’s no leaks on an updated version. But if it does come out, you can trade back in the 430 And get back almost all of that going towards the new piece. Assuming you get it new and it’s in the first 2 years.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,773 of 1,920
I have uad mine since they came out and it has been wonderful with my HD800's and LCD-X's. Great piece.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #1,774 of 1,920
I bought one a couple months back I too was worried if it was outdated, so I auditioned it’s competition as well (chord tt2, McIntosh mha150, Sony ZH1ES, Hugo 2) and still went with it. And the way, I see it, if I wanted another dac, there’s inputs galore to use.

and I would agree with pairing well with your 800S, I use this with my 820, 660S and 580s

as for its life cycle, there’s no leaks on an updated version. But if it does come out, you can trade back in the 430 And get back almost all of that going towards the new piece. Assuming you get it new and it’s in the first 2 years.
I would recommend buying it new or buying an old version at a steep discount. This length into a product’s lifecycle, there’s always a chance for a new version to come out.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,776 of 1,920
Senndo I take it you resolved your amp sound issue. What was the problem? For me upgraded cables have my system sounding spectacular. I’ve discovered Danacable Lazuli Reference and Nirvana cables. Spectacular upgrade but very pricey.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #1,777 of 1,920
Senndo I take it you resolved your amp sound issue. What was the problem? For me upgraded cables have my system sounding spectacular. I’ve discovered Danacable Lazuli Reference and Nirvana cables. Spectacular upgrade but very pricey.
It does seem to be sounding better in the new house: frankly even with the electrical problems I’ve been having the sound has been good: just not as good as the broken in unit at the store. I’ll reach out with an update after I’ve hit 300 hours!

I would actually love to do some more cable comparisons though.

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #1,778 of 1,920
Had mine since 2017, great match with LCD 4

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,780 of 1,920
I have the 430HAD but am not using the internal DAC as I've paired it with a 280D. Endless juice on tap for power hungry cans like the LCD4. I also have a pair of LCD-XC which sound great too but obviously can't achieve the blissful performance of the LCD4.

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,781 of 1,920
Anybody try using both the xlr4 and single ended at the same time for two headphones? Manual recommends one at a time and curious if anyone hears a difference.

I don’t hear one but I’m using dynamic drivers and not planar.

May 18, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,784 of 1,920
Greetings from Spain.

Moon designed and mounts one of the best volume controls in the world. I have enjoyed my 430HA for years, it is the machine that makes the most of all the headphones I have tried, mine (LCD-4 high, Sony Z1R low) and friends (LCD-3, LCD4Z, AKG K1000, PS, RS and GS Grados, some AudioTechnica, etc ...). Using balanced input and output should be mandatory. The internal DAC is very solvent and useful if you want to have a single machine but it can be improved, personally I use a Linn Klimax DS Katalist.
I'm just considering adding a headset: Do you have experience with modern Dan Clark Ether?

All the best!
C.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back