Montréal incoming 2012 Head-Fi meet!: *" Saturday 25th of August "* (status: done!)
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #152 of 180
I agree with Kim. I'd really like to take pictures at least in the board room (I completely understand not being allowed to take pictures of the rest of the office.
I'm not really sure what the boardroom is like though. maybe there are windows around it so you can see the rest of the office? (wouldn't make much sense)

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #153 of 180
I may have recruited a new participant!
Today in the library with my HD800, someone approached me and started asking me about them then he asked me if I was on head-fi.
I said yes and showed him my head-fi page and he showed me his.
Long story short, I told him about the meet and he might be coming =)

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #154 of 180
HD800 in a library?!

well, that's awesome.
I no longer have the Gamma2 unfortunately, got a really good offer on it from a friend who liked it... but there will be AMB M^3 + AH-D5000 
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #156 of 180
hahaha! Yeah sure, next time I see someone wearing an HD800 in a library, I'll stop and ask questions... mainly out of amazement. Isn't it troublesome to carry these around? Aren't you scared of damaging them in transport? 

:confused_face_2:

The box is the most troublesome part and due to the size of it, it stays at home.
I wrap them in a towel, put them in one of those re-usable grocery bags then put them in my school bag.
This avoids any protruding objects from damaging them and the towel is a nice cushion and doubles as a protection from water should there be heavy rain and such (I also have an umbrella).
The headphones themselves aren't really that much bigger than my T5p (well, I sold the T5p) which I managed to bring around all of last semester.

They definitely feel a bit more fragile than the T5p/other portables but I'm also not throwing my bag around and such.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #157 of 180
Quote:
I agree with Kim. I'd really like to take pictures at least in the board room (I completely understand not being allowed to take pictures of the rest of the office.
I'm not really sure what the boardroom is like though. maybe there are windows around it so you can see the rest of the office? (wouldn't make much sense)

Guys, relax. A law firm is a confidential environment but it's not the CIA or the NASA!

Yes pictures will be allowed. We gonna do this at the administration floor. So no confidential files. We will have two rooms for a total of 7 booths (one with 4 stations and the other room with 3). If it's not enough, I will bring a portable table with some power bars. We should be fine.

The only thing guys. We will have to leave at 6 PM max. I have a diner with a nice lady at 7:30PM. 5 hours should be plenty of time to try everything and then some. So try to be on time.

Steve

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #158 of 180
Guys, relax. A law firm is a confidential environment but it's not the CIA or the NASA!

Yes pictures will be allowed. We gonna do this at the administration floor. So no confidential files. We will have two rooms for a total of 7 booths (one with 4 stations and the other room with 3). If it's not enough, I will bring a portable table with some power bars. We should be fine.

The only thing guys. We will have to leave at 6 PM max. I have a diner with a nice lady at 7:30PM. 5 hours should be plenty of time to try everything and then some. So try to be on time.

Steve

Sounds good and bad ='(

Coincidentally I also have a project for my humanities class that deals with truth in advertising and I'm thinking of doing a short documentary on beats/headphones in general.
I thought a meet would be a great place to take footage of people meeting up for the hobby they love as well as maybe an interview or 2?
It'd be much appreciated >.<

I'm just sad about the meet only being 5 hours.
I was also hoping to copy a good portion of that 2TB music collection...

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #159 of 180
Quote:

Steve

Good on ya Steve :wink:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 21, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #160 of 180
I think 5 hours is more than enough, if you're well prepared. You guys are like, 9; make yourself a top 5 of the headphones you want to try the most and cycle your way, spending one hour around each of them. You can also arrive 30-60 mins in advance to get to know each other in the lobby (and maybe listen to portable setups and headphones) and have more time to spend with the full setups upstairs. I've been wondering what's that smiley? ">.<<br />" and the "<br />" more specifically, can you tell me? lol

2 TB music, wow, my laptop came with 160 GB and I used to find it a lot coming from a 40 GB coming from a 6 GB. I since then added a 320 GB so I have about 440 GB now in my laptop.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #161 of 180
Quote:
Sounds good and bad ='(
Coincidentally I also have a project for my humanities class that deals with truth in advertising and I'm thinking of doing a short documentary on beats/headphones in general.
I thought a meet would be a great place to take footage of people meeting up for the hobby they love as well as maybe an interview or 2?
It'd be much appreciated >.<
I'm just sad about the meet only being 5 hours.
I was also hoping to copy a good portion of that 2TB music collection...

By 2TB collection do you mean you have it or you wish to get it from someone else at the upcoming meet? Either way I'm interested also! Lol.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #163 of 180
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #164 of 180
Yeah... I think I need a 2TB hard drive too. I just backed up my laptop to my 500GB external drive, before the meet. I have 2.9GB left on the external drive. When I bought it a few years ago, it was the biggest drive you could buy, and people laughed at me saying it was WAY overkill. My music folder alone is 120GB.

frown.gif

On another note, I'm unsure how many interconnects I should bring. I could bring the minimum for my rig to be functional, but if we're gonna try different combinations, we'll need more. For example, my DAC has Optical, RCA SPDIF and USB inputs. Should I bring a cable for each? RCA Y splitters, to connect 2 amplifiers to a single DAC?

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #165 of 180
Yeah... I think I need a 2TB hard drive too. I just backed up my laptop to my 500GB external drive, before the meet. I have 2.9GB left on the external drive. When I bought it a few years ago, it was the biggest drive you could buy, and people laughed at me saying it was WAY overkill. My music folder alone is 120GB.

:frowning2:

On another note, I'm unsure how many interconnects I should bring. I could bring the minimum for my rig to be functional, but if we're gonna try different combinations, we'll need more. For example, my DAC has Optical, RCA SPDIF and USB inputs. Should I bring a cable for each? RCA Y splitters, to connect 2 amplifiers to a single DAC?

I bought my 3tb drive a couple years ago and have never looked back.
I love not having to worry about storage. Download pretty much as much as I want, transfer it to the external and repeat.
Though, a single complete backup of my laptop is over 500gb so I tend not to do them very often.
Furthermore, you don't even need to do backups... Just copy the important files (word documents, pictures and whatnot) onto the external. Since I always keep all the installers for my software on my external it's really easy to reset my computer and get back to where I was before in a matter of hours and it saves me the trouble of needing to do regular backups that take ridiculous amounts of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back