Monster Turbine vs Panasonic RP-HJE900
Nov 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

thrubovc

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I've been around for a while- observing and researching, I'd like to buy a new IEM. The only touch with relatively high sound quality have so far been my Sennheisers eH 150. I am willing to spend around $100 and I want good sound, but also some premium feel. A nice case will be a huge plus (I know MTs have one, do HJE900 have a nice one too?). I have come down to Monster Turbines which I can get for a good price on ebay, and Panasonic HJE900 (which may not be so easy to find now). What do you suggest? You may also throw in another IEMs that you think fall within my requirements. I have automatically excluded Klipsch custom 3's from my scope due to their cable issue.
thanks a lot

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 31
HJE900 if you can find it. Much nicer than the turbines in almost every regard, especially built quality. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 31
Deleted

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 31
Hifiman RE-Zero, it has great sound quality and falls within your budget

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Definitely the Panasonics. I own the HJE-900, but not the monster turbines. I do, however, have a pair of Turbine Pro Gold (which I'm sure you know is more expensive) and I prefer the sound signature of the Panasonics more as they just seem to have more punch to it to. They are easier to find a comfortable fit, look classier (it's still shiny, but in a subtle navy blue as opposed to the in-your-face-bling).

Further more, my turbine pro gold keeps breaking (twice in half a year). So even though monster is upholding their warranty quite well, it's still annoying having to email them and have no earphones for like a month.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 31
ok so let's say that I am deciding between the panasonics and MTG, you say the sound is better with panasonics. Do they also feel better in the ear? How about the extra tips? I know I get a ton of those with turbine golds, but I may not even use them, and an important thing too, how about the carrying pouch? Is the Panasonic one any good compared to the turbines? thanks a lot your reply will help, I can get turbine golds and hje900s on ebay/amazon UK for about the same price. thanks

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 31
ah I missed the last part about breaking, I think i will definitely go with the panasonics... although what really bugs me is the price of turbine golds on ebay, just missed one brand new pair that was sold for about $75.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 31
HJE900 has a shallower insertion than the Turbines. I found the isolation and ergonomics better on the turbines than hjes. Between Gold and HJEs, I would definitely take the gold. I found them technically superior to the hje in almost every aspect. Their sound signatures are very similar but the Golds have much better resolution, clarity and extensions than the HJEs. However, HJEs sound more natural to my ears than the Golds. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 31
The Monster quality control has lots of issues and I would get the HJEs just based on build quality. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 31
okay thanks guys. I think I'm getting the idea. But could please some of you comment on that carrying pouch for Panasonics? I have seen in videos that monsters have 2 included (a hard cover and a softer one), but how about the Panasonic one? U know that's important for me also as I'm not gonna carry them around in my pocket.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
ah I missed the last part about breaking, I think i will definitely go with the panasonics... although what really bugs me is the price of turbine golds on ebay, just missed one brand new pair that was sold for about $75.

There are a lot of fake turbines on ebay, so don't feel bad you missed it.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 31
Did you get teh coppers from ebay or an authorized dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back