Monster Turbine pro vs iE8-which one is more durable?
Dec 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

blazin

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am looking at these two sets of headphones and wanted to get some feedback. I want a set of headphones that will last a long time , and have a good warranty. I don't want to spend the money on either as I am completely fine with my old set of ne-7m but they stopped working again and warranty is gone. I see these are very durable, good sounding IEM's and the iE8 has a replaceable chord to boot. ( I do not know if this is replaceable , if is, how much this would cost since the headphones are so expensive)

Any help would give me great help and save quite bit of time. thanks.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 29
IE8 has a 2 year warranty and the only problem I had was one side's sound got dampened a bit. That was my own fault though as the mesh grill's had a buildup of earwax I did not notice. Finally cleaned it off recently with a fine sewing needle and all is well.

So far the IE8 which I have owned almost a year and a half has lived through quite a bit of abuse. I sleep with them on all the time and I am a toss-and-turn in my sleep kind of guy.

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 29
I think this is my third post...LOL:

Monster Turbines: Single A ball
Turbine Pros: Double A ball
IE8s: Major League Baseball

They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category.
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is my third post...LOL:

Monster Turbines: Single A ball
Turbine Pros: Double A ball
IE8s: Major League Baseball

They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category.
beerchug.gif

This should be the default analogy for IE8s, huh? Haha

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 29
The Turbine Pro's have a Lifetime Warranty, so if 5 yrs later you want a new pair, you just rip the cable out and send em back to get a new pair. (you can only get a new pair once if you break them) If they stop working because of a defect, theres the Lifetime warranty to cover them.
But will the sound suit your tastes compared to the IE 8?

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 29
If I do not get the ie8's then I will just never know how far my taste's get, so I would be happy now with just the turbines. I just want to know if the iE8 is also a better built headphone, Im already aware that its not a single driver and sounds much better with burn-in.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 29
Both are built well, the Ie8 will probably offer most listeners a better overall sound.
If durability is your only concern ,the lifetime warranty may halp you feel all cozy, that said the IE8, has better treble, and soundstage. and a little more midbass, The turbine pro has slightly deeper bass extension, but it smooths over some of the detail the ie8 will give you, they are not the same, if you want the treble detail, and want to avoid the smoothing over of some fine detail, go with the pro's if the warranty is going to tuck you into bed. Doesn't make sense to make a purchase on the durablity factor when both are well built. your last post makes no sense, they are both single driver dynamic iem's, and unless I try to destroy them, how can I say foe shure wich is more durable, Be aware though, the senns, are much more suitable for active use, the pro's weight makes them prone to falling out while active.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 29
Both are single driver Dynamic. Both will go thru a burn-in period. Monster just entered the IEM picture and Sennheiser has been here for years. Its safe to say the IE-8 is among the best in durability. If your thinking that there is a slight chance that your IEM's are gonna get ran over by a car, then the Monsters might live cuz of the heavy aluminum body. Thats 1 thing I dont like about my Turbines is that they are so heavy I have to be carefull that they dont crash into each-other when I pick them up.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 29
As for the craftsmanship, Sennheiser wins hands down. As I have the regular monster turbine (I assume have the same housing as the gold and copper), the left earphone housing is already falling apart and the right earphone seems to have volume issue after a few days of regular use.My Sennheiser IE7 on the other hand went through countless pull and tug. 

SQ on on the monster are great, the bass really extend and does not have the mid bass hump that the IE suffers from. However, nothing can beat IE's soundstage. Therefore, if you like forward, "in head" sound, go for the monster and if you like more of a speaker feel, then sennheiser is your best bet.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Both are built well, the Ie8 will probably offer most listeners a better overall sound.
If durability is your only concern ,the lifetime warranty may halp you feel all cozy, that said the IE8, has better treble, and soundstage. and a little more midbass, The turbine pro has slightly deeper bass extension, but it smooths over some of the detail the ie8 will give you, they are not the same, if you want the treble detail, and want to avoid the smoothing over of some fine detail, go with the pro's if the warranty is going to tuck you into bed. Doesn't make sense to make a purchase on the durablity factor when both are well built. your last post makes no sense, they are both single driver dynamic iem's, and unless I try to destroy them, how can I say foe shure wich is more durable, Be aware though, the senns, are much more suitable for active use, the pro's weight makes them prone to falling out while active.

but the sennheisers also have a midbass  hump unlike the monsters that could very possibly mask details just as easily, i find the MD's one of the most detailed phones I have used, beating out even a multi driver based balanced armature phone

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 29
I do agree that the IE7/IE8 are by far not the most detailed earphones, but they have a smooth and warm sound signature that is great for sleeping imo 
bigsmile_face.gif
. It really depends on the user, I personally like over the ear design because I do a lot of walking and running and the heavy metal design of the turbines just won't cut it. Monster should make their earphone a little angled as the human ears are not straight. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 29
My IE8s are 2years and 2 months now, and its still absolutely brilliant in terms of sound quality and reliability. There are abit of scratches on the Chrome Sennheiser logo, although that was my fault for not taking care of it =X

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 29
Yep. All metal does not necessarily equate more durable. You'd have shearing strain relieves, splitting housings and (probably inevitable) cable problems. Or at least that's the Coppers, because the Golds' relieves are much better (different material, I am sure) and my previous Golds never had their housings split.
The IE 8, although I can't say about the housings themselves, have replaceable cables. So that's one less problem. OTOH, Monster has Lifetime warranty. So that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back