Monster Turbine Pro Gold is it worth upgrading to Miles Davis Tribute?
Jul 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

imuz

New Head-Fier
So I have had my MTPGs for about 2 months. I am really liking the smooth punchy sound they have.

Unfortunately one side has stopped working so I was thinking of getting a refund from the retailer and using the cash plus a little extra to buy a pair of Miles Davis Tributes.

I've heard they sound better, have deeper and more bass (which I like) but are still smooth and clear sounding. Is it worth spending the extra to upgrade or is there not that mich of a difference?

I'm just wondering how big the difference is as if there isn't really much difference i'll just get the MTPGs replaced on warranty.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 20
Yeh i've had a look at the refurbished store. Its a lot cheaper but you only get a 90 day warranty and from what I have heard / seen these things break a lot!

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 20
If it broke that quickly...

Why would you consider a product from the same manu?

Junk is junk. Time to go another route.

Just my opinion, Jim

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 20
There are many other products on the market.

This forum is full of them.

But, For whatever reason, I have read many more minuses then positives with that product line.

I would look at another product line. Perhaps Shure, Westone, or Etymotic. All good product lines.

Jim

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 20
I looked through the forums before I bought the monsters. Sound wise most people say positive things about them even though quality control is iffy. I'm happy to stick with monster really unless their is something positively better in the same price range. My original question was regarding the MD Tributes though not the build quality of the headphones.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 20
First, let me state I am not a huge Monster fan. prior to buying the golds, I purchased the Dr DRE IEM Beat because a store clerk raved about how good they were... Not only were they not good, they fulfilled the promise of being much worse than not good.. A pair of $15 Philips IEM (My first IEMs) bested them in every category..

This leads me to another chapter.. I had posted a thread (on the AK Headphone forum) asking for advise for nice IEM. Several people I trust the opinion of, recommended Monster Turbin Copper.. I publicly scoffed supplying the Dr DRE experience as evidence that Monster could not possibly build quality.. Then on a lark, when I came across a pair of Golds for $116 on clearance, I decided to try them based upon the recommendations and prove myself right..This was a few months ago. I have not had a problem with them so far. I love them. Are they the best IEM, I sincerely doubt it.. but for $116 they do very well.

Then, I too saw the deal for the refurbished Miles Davis Tributes and ordered a pair. I figured they'd be even better than the Golds, based upon their higher MSRP. However, in my opinion, they are not even in the same league with the golds. I returned them last week and still await the refund. Now to be fair, my review and opinion is based upon one pair. Perhaps there was something wrong with them, but each side sounded the same, which leads me to believe it is not just a defect. I tried different tips, etc. YMMV. I'd buy the Golds again (and again).

If you decide to try them anyway, with the safety net of returning them, please let me (us) know your thoughts.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
What didn't you like about them compared to the golds and what kind of music did you listen too?

Clearly, they were muddy and boomy. They did not have the mid and HF clarity of a decent set of IEMs.

When I first got them, I was highly disappointed. I then set them aside playing music to burn them in for a couple days to burn them in/loosen them up. While I "think" they got a little better, they still were not as good as the Philips SHE9550 ($15) or Thermaltake Isurus ($35)

As the saying goes, "I wouldn't listen to them with your ears when you paid for them with your money."

To be clear, it could have been "my" pair, but I didn't discern any difference, side to side. For me to return them and not just keep them "just because" speaks volumes to me.. other people seem to like them, though.. FWIW.

I would like to try Coppers..

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 20
So I couldn't resist the temptation to at least try out the MDs for myself. I just ordered them new from Amazon for £220. Not as cheap as the Monster outlet but they will have a full warranty if I decide to keep them. I'll give them a try and see which I prefer.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
So I couldn't resist the temptation to at least try out the MDs for myself. I just ordered them new from Amazon for £220. Not as cheap as the Monster outlet but they will have a full warranty if I decide to keep them. I'll give them a try and see which I prefer.

I can fully understand your decision. It is exactly what I did.. Please post your thoughts after you listen... I am looking forward to reading them!

It's a pain to return a purchase, but trying them in your ears is the ONLY way you'll know. I was surprised by the Golds, I publicly admit.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 20
They arrived today. I'm still burning them in so I can't give my full impressions yet. I remember I didn't like my MTPG out of the box but burn in made a lot of difference.

So far these things are kicking ass for things like dub step, there is a lot of bass, like A LOT. Deep thumping bass. Hip hop is good also, whats nice is you still get good highs.

Not so impressed with things like trance, and some orchestral music etc. I find the bass is drowning a lot of the mids out. The mids are smooth with the MTPG so it is noticeable. I feel like the MDs have clearer highs though.

We'll see how the sound changes as they burn in over the next few days. Its gonna be hard to do a direct comparison with my MTPG since I have to fiddle with the cables non stop to get both sides working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back