Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #1,201 of 1,752
Thanks for your input Lucozade
wink_face.gif

Looks like the Copper is the way to go for me. Really envy you guys for being able to have both versions.
dt880smile.png

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #1,202 of 1,752
Just took the plunge and getting my MTPC's soon.... really excited to compare them to my trip.fi 10's.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,203 of 1,752
Well, I tried most of the tips that they give in the MTPC's and still hear thinness and no bass extension. 
Call me an IEM snob.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,204 of 1,752
I find that quite odd really. Thin isn't what I would call them and they are close to too much bass for my ears.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,205 of 1,752
I'm in agreement with Rawrster here in that I can't imagine the Coppers sounding thin. I find the bass to be not too much but definitely very present and strong. Also, the bass extends to a huge degree at least to these ears. Maybe it's the burn in or maybe not but for me the bass is just great
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,206 of 1,752
x3, quite surprising.  You obviously said you burn in your phones and said you tried multiple tips.  If the issue isnt improper fit or seal they sound defective.  Have you tried cranking up the volume?  Are you listening at a low volume??  I don't think the Coppers are thin but my MD's are quite rich and full bodied in comparison definitely.

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #1,207 of 1,752
They're just not my cup of tea. I just don't get pleasure out of listening to them.

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #1,208 of 1,752

Quote:
They're just not my cup of tea. I just don't get pleasure out of listening to them.

Are there any IEM's you do get pleasure from out of curiousity?

Edit- Nvm, I see have gone through many customs and have some 500's.  I feel the same way about the 500's you do about the Coppers as to listening pleasure.  Bass light and thin are just odd descriptions of the Coppers IMO.  I could think of any number of acclaimed IEM's around these parts that are better suited to that description than the Coppers.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #1,209 of 1,752

Quote:
To tell you the truth, the Gold isn't overly powerful as is suggested here. There is a bit more treble sparkle with the Copper, so the overall package seems more balanced. But which is more bassy? Hard to say. Volume matched, they sound very similar in the low end. If you enjoy more sparkle in your hip hop, then the Copper are better, but the Gold and Copper are both amazing and I'd hesitate to pick a winner. 

I've written up about the bass and other things at length in my review of the Monster Turbine Pro Copper.

Wow, just read your review on the turbine pros, really impressive writeup. Detailed and analytical.
o2smile.gif

And it only serves to fuel my craving for a pair of the turbine pros.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,210 of 1,752

Quote:
Well, I tried most of the tips that they give in the MTPC's and still hear thinness and no bass extension. 
Call me an IEM snob.

This must be your first experience with iems. The fit is very important to get the right sound, especially with the bass.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,211 of 1,752

Quote:
Call me an IEM snob.

That is not as strange as it sounds ! , its no secret on here that i loved the sound of the coppers and often said how good they were etc,. 

After using my SM3  for 3 or 4 weeks now i went back to the coppers today and have had them in my ears all day and im really quite shocked at how BASS  LIGHT and THIN they sound in comparison to the SM3 even the treble sounds somewhat lacking and unrefined compaired to the SM3 . I only had the white supertips with me today so maybe i will get a better sound from the coppers with the triple flange 
popcorn.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,212 of 1,752

Quote:

That is not as strange as it sounds ! , its no secret on here that i loved the sound of the coppers and often said how good they were etc,. 

After using my SM3  for 3 or 4 weeks now i went back to the coppers today and have had them in my ears all day and im really quite shocked at how BASS  LIGHT and THIN they sound in comparison to the SM3 even the treble sounds murky and unrefined compaired to the SM3 . I only had the white supertips with me today so maybe i will get a better sound from the coppers with the triple flange 
popcorn.gif

When's the last time you listened to them?  See if playing them w/o listening for about 20 minutes helps.  I did prefer my MD's as being fuller so.....

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,213 of 1,752

Quote:

After using my SM3  for 3 or 4 weeks now i went back to the coppers today and have had them in my ears all day and im really quite shocked at how BASS  LIGHT and THIN they sound in comparison to the SM3 even the treble sounds murky and unrefined compaired to the SM3 . I only had the white supertips with me today so maybe i will get a better sound from the coppers with the triple flange 
popcorn.gif

WOW!, that is the complete opposite for me. I am still yet to the "super" tips but even with the PFE tips they are an instant seal and very bassy and have a nice treble. Those tips though narrow the soundstage and take the edge off the treble. Using Denon large tips here (very thin silicone) and just freaking great for me. They have been burnt in like dweaver but all the same they should deffinately not sound as you have put. Seal is the key, 110%.

I have not heard the sm3`s but if they have what these don`t then that would make them unlistenable to me.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,214 of 1,752
Used the coppers all day today from first thing this morning till around 6pm tonight so don't think they are going to sound any better that they do now .

Im not saying the coppers have suddenly stopped being good iem's, and if i had not heard the SM3 i would probably still think they sounded great, but i have and too my ears there just not in the same class technically as the SM3 in fact there not even close which is a real shame as i had got used to walking around with shiny copper coloured earphones sticking out my ears
happy_face1.gif
 but i can just can't see myself using them much anymore .

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,215 of 1,752
I was only commenting on the lack of sound and not even contemplating puting them in the sm3 bracket. I am pretty sure you just haven`t got "the" seal thats all.
I am really an IE8 guy and what I hear is what they should have been. Same bass impact but better and much much better mids/highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back