Monster Power Conditioner?
Jan 27, 2002 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lagavulin

Head-Fier
I have been experiencing some RFI/EMI interference wthin my headphone setup and have been exploring the power conditioner/ balance power option.

I have been to a few dealers in my area and they have all told me that for the money I am willing to spend the best unit for the price would be the new Monster Power HTS-2600 with "power stage 2 v2.0 filtering."

I've recently read and have heard negative comments regarding power conditioning. I have read that power conditioning can eliminate: component noise from affecting other components, ground loops, hum, RF, and may lower the noise floor.

But I have also read that conditioners tend to blur imaging, and decrease detail and dynamic range..

I am willing to spend about $300 on a unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 6
There are still some dealers closing out Monster's old line of power conditioners on ebay (or at least there were a couple of weeks ago). IMO the best price/performance of the old line was the HTS-2000, which can be had for a little over $100. Great value at that price (I've got two). Uglier than the HTS-2500, which I also have, but gets the job done. I don't think the 2500 had any filtering that the 2000 didn't have also...the difference was cosmetics (These units were replaced by the 2100 and the 2600, respectively)

In my main system I use a Tice Elite IV conditioner, but that's over your price limit. I don't hear any decrease in imaging or dynamics with any of the conditioners I use. The place where this might be a problem is with power amps, where the conditioner can limit the current to the amp. The Monster's have two high-current sockets specifically designed for amps with large power drains.

I can't say whether a power conditioner would cure the problem, but it would be worth trying.

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 6
For your budget you may also want to consider one of the BPT balanced power units. The BP Jr is within your price range and my custom unit (two 300VA transformers in a BP2/BP3 case) cost me $399. I am currently working on a review of this unit for posting on head-fi.

BTW They give a small discount to head-fiers.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 6
PLCs do indeed have a current limiting affect. I would not recommend plugging a power amp into a plc for sure. And yes they do introduce weird artifacts into the sound.

I have a Monster HTS-1000, and I've had a HTS-2000, and they do choke the dynamics and bass extension, and color the sound somewhat, but it can be a fair trade off given the noise filtering, isolation, surge protection, and low price.

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 6
Weird artifacts? I've only heard of that happening when power amplifiers are plugged in.

Other components such as TV's, preamps, DVD players, CD players, VCR's, etc. are only supposed to improve with it.

Power amps into the wall, everything else into the line conditioner. This should be the optimal way to go.

P.S. Monster's replacement for the 2000 is the PB ("powerbar") 2100. I can't find it ANYWHERE. No reviews, prices, nuthin'.

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Before spending your bucks, check out:

Brickwall

I LOVE my unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back