Monster Miles Davis Tributes vs. Sennheiser HD650/800?
Jul 8, 2010 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

d0nk

New Head-Fier
I was wondering whether there is a substantial quality difference between the Monster Miles Davis Tributes (in-ear) and a high quality over ear speaker liek the Sennheiser HD650 or 800. I was thinking about purchasing the Sennheiser HD650 since there is a pretty good deal on Amazon at the moment ($350) but I do not have enough experience with headphones to know whether this is worth it. Do over-ear headphones like the HD650s deliver significantly better audio than in-ears like the MDs?

I know these are broad n00bie questions but I'd like to get some feedback before I invest $400 or $1400 more on headphones I might not need.

Thanks,
dmasterflex

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Welcome!

I never heard those specific IEMs. But from my experience from other IEMs I'll say there will be a significant difference. Under $1000, dollar for dollar full sized open headphones will sound better overall then an IEM. You'll hear how great the $1000 IEMs are but that's not your question.

To make an example of likeness, I had the Shure SE530 and the Senn HD650. They share a similar sound sig. Rich, silky mids, impactful bass and rolled off highs. They're even priced closely. To me, the Senn was better overall. Significantly. The sound was more expansive. The clarity was better. They were MUCH less claustrophobic.

I find this with all IEMs in your price range in general. IEMs are great if you need portability, isolation and to be easily driven. But superior sound over a full sized headphone isn't one of their advantages.

Full sized open cans aren't for every situation. They leak sound in and out, need to be used in a quiet environment, many are difficult to drive and many require an amp, they aren't usually portable, and they don't exactly look stylish in public (if that matters to you).

I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I did somewhat. LoL.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 4
yes there is a big difference between something like hd650 and iems,but be sure to get a good amp for them to be fully impressed.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the MD's and M50's.  I prefer to listen to my M50's for SQ but the MD's are my preferred isolation/travel buddy.  A $150-$350 headphone is a better bang per buck scenario for SQ.  As for the HD650 realize thats a totally different sound signature.  I was looking at the 650 vs 600 vs 595 and I think the 595 would be the pick I would go for based on reviews and cost.  I have not heard any of them though and am looking to get some Grado MS1i's to offer a counter signature to my MD's and M50's.  The difference isn't night and day but is appreciable.  If sound quality is your priority I would go Speakers>Headphones>Earphones and factor in personal needs and requirements into that.

x2 on the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back