Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,236 of 2,269
Quote:

Well, it's just my opinion on the only 2 quality IEMs I own. I think TF10's detail and soundstage are much better than the MDT's. That's not to say MDT's soundstage and details are lacking. They're just not at the level of TF10 when compared to each other. 

I enjoy listening to my MDT a lot more than TF10 because TF10's treble pierce and hurt my ear when I turn the volume up to where I like it (pretty loud). I use the Sony Hybrids on the TF10 because I don't like how the Comply's muffle the TF10. The fit and comfort of MDT is also much better than TF10, even if MDT is heavier. I only use the TF10 for gaming, movies, and when I want to do some analytical listening of music. The MDT is so smooth, full-bodied, and has amazing bass (I'm also a basshead too)... all the while staying detailed (enough) without sounding harsh and cold. For most music, I much prefer using MDT.

The Tributes do benefit greatly from my FiiO E10 with gain turned on high. It also sounds a lot more detailed with the triple flanges compared to the round sleeves. However, triple flanges take a bit more work to insert and they start to bother my ears after wearing the MDT for 1+ hour. 

The MDT actually sounded best on wide-bore/opening tips for me. Am using JVC Stock Single Flanges, and managed to get the cleanest sound so far with optimal positioning and texturing. Of course it could have been due to the pairing with Hisound Studio 3rd Anv too.

May 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,237 of 2,269
I just got a pair of the Trumpets after auditioning them in Best Buy. Best Buy wanted 300 bucks, I got mine in "Like New" condition on Amazon for $134. The guy at Best Buy swore up and down these were the best he's ever heard.

I freaking love these things. I'm used to $10 ear buds, so it's obviously a DRASTIC improvement, but these things are amazing even without that gap. I'm currently burning them in - Monster recommends about 20 hours. I'm at about 8.5 or 9 right now. Will be running these all night.

The main issue I'm having is the microphonics which some others mentioned. Did anyone ever figure out how to fix it? I'm really tempted to try to wrap the cable up in electrical tape to shield the cable, but I don't want to gunk up my cable if that won't actually work.

May 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,238 of 2,269
I just got a pair of the Trumpets after auditioning them in Best Buy. Best Buy wanted 300 bucks, I got mine in "Like New" condition on Amazon for $134. The guy at Best Buy swore up and down these were the best he's ever heard.

I freaking love these things. I'm used to $10 ear buds, so it's obviously a DRASTIC improvement, but these things are amazing even without that gap. I'm currently burning them in - Monster recommends about 20 hours. I'm at about 8.5 or 9 right now. Will be running these all night.

The main issue I'm having is the microphonics which some others mentioned. Did anyone ever figure out how to fix it? I'm really tempted to try to wrap the cable up in electrical tape to shield the cable, but I don't want to gunk up my cable if that won't actually work.

If you wrap your Tributes in electrical tape you will most certainly be banned from Head-Fi for eternity.

May 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,239 of 2,269
So, as I mentioned in another thread, my Tributes crapped out on me and I got the Trumpets from the warranty. I have to say that I don't like it as much at the Tributes. I prefer the warmth and more-present bass in the Tributes. I listen mostly to 50's music and doo wop on my iPhone 4, and the files are mostly (shameful) sub 256 kbps MP3s :p  The Tributes were quite forgiving of bad recordings and low bitrates, and they really made the nonsensical vocals of doowop a beautiful thing to behold what with its great low and mid end sound. My Trumpets are hissing in my ear :frowning2:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement IEM that has a similar sound signature to the Tributes? It seems like the Monster Turbine Pro Copper might be an answer, but I'd rather try a different company: I'd rather avoid the earphones crapping out on me lol.

May 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,240 of 2,269
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement IEM that has a similar sound signature to the Tributes?

If you are interested in getting a replacement that sounds exactly the same, please PM me.  I have a pair of Tributes that are in great shape that I was just getting ready to create a classified for. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,241 of 2,269
WOW! Long thread.
Here is how I use my IEM's and my experience. I have Etymotic's. Love the triple flange, fit great and stay sealed with some H2O, but the sound quality is not so much to my liking. Have a pair of Much cheaper Klipsch IEM's and like the sound better than the etymotics. Problem is the tips are too big and hurt or too small and don't seal. I have done some film and tv so use to being wired. IEM in ears and connected by tape center of back head. Wire runs down inside back of shirt to Ipod in my right pocket. I can control Ipod through my pants.Tried the bose and they were crap unless i pressed them into my ears. Guys at Best buy swore up and down I should try the Monster IEM"s after I explained what I like in sound and that I listen to everything from rock, metal, country and top 40 ect. They suggested and i bought the miles davis at 300.00. The next up was like 500 and not looking to spend that much. I actually really like these. Some music lacks bass but can do the ipod bass boost for that. I really want to keep these. Problem is, due to the flat cable I can't wire myself like the other small regular round cables. Thought I might take them back but for the life of me can not find where i put the reciept. I think I was drinking when I got home. Not sure what to do. I like wiring myself under shirt so i can just do stuff and not get tangled or rip a monitor out an ear. Let me see if i can do a photo of the other monitors and how wired. What i did was put a drop of crazy glue on the side of the tip connector on the Klipsh and put the tip from Etymotics on, Without the tip would stick in my ear when i removed the monitor and would have to tweeze out the tip from my ear. Of course at some point I will have to remove the etymoyic tops from the Klipsch monitors for cleaning.I just don't know what to do. Don't really want the usual wires hanging in front of me but like the sound alot. Or keep so when in the mood listen at home although that would be rare as I love my over ear senheiser 650's. Is it worth 300,00 to listen to the monsters once a month or few months.
Suggestins?????? Plus i can't seem to find reciept to return unless best buy will take back without. They certainly know me as i spent over an hour talking to three guys.
I just don't know. :frowning2:

Oh the photo...

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #2,242 of 2,269
Hello all! I recently traded for a like new set of MDT and so far I totally dig em. As mental burn-in continues, I've been trying to read up on them and I can't find any literature that suggests what the frequency response range is, nor any information about the drivers used. Anyone have any info on either of those?

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,245 of 2,269
Just found my miles davis tributes that I lost a year ago. I've been looking for them ever since and found them while cleaning up in my house.

I was one of the lucky people who got this a while back

ORDER DETAILS                                     UNIT PRICE     TOTAL
======================================================================
QTY       1
SKU       132704-00
PRODUCT   MonsterŽ Miles Davis Tribute Jazz Headphones Miles Davis In-Ear Headphones
PRICE                                                          $149.95

Subtotal:    $149.95
                                       Less discounts used:    ($15.00)
                                                 =====================
                                                     Total:    $134.95

A pair of new miles davis tributes for $135 :)

Needless to say - these sound gorgeous and I'm so friking happy I found them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,246 of 2,269
May 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #2,249 of 2,269
Lifetime warranty? Send them back.

I went through three pairs of MDTs in about two years where the cord came loose on the left earphone. I found that the SQ diminished with each new pair, sadly, and when I left them on an airplane last summer, I realised I wasn't bothered at all. 18 months earlier I would have topped myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back