Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jun 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #2,191 of 2,269
Quote:

Without a doubt they're fake. As if the site doesn't look dodgey enough, they even include a photo of the most obvious thing to look out for.

That grill should be flush with the housings nozel, not recessed. The serial number however can be missing from genuine versions. From my understanding only the first limited edition came out with a serial number. I have owned genuine MDT bought from a seller here and they didn't have one. These grills however are a dead give away. Report the site to Monster.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2,193 of 2,269
Just received my MDT from the eBay refurbished deal. Really nice build on these guys (might be a bit fragile, but they look pretty cool). As for the sound, just started listening to them, but they are really bassy and are a bit harder to drive than by Triple.Fis. Together though, they compliment each other really well, with the MDT better with bassy music and the Triple.Fis having the edge with treble.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2,194 of 2,269
Hey all, long-time reader, first-time poster.

Jumped in on the deal for the refurbs of these and received my MDTs yesterday. I've been listening to them all of last night and couldn't help but notice
a "phased" tone to all the guitar parts. Is it an insertion issue or the tips? I'm using the ones that came with the MDTs.

Sorry if this was asked earlier in the threads.

Thanks.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2,196 of 2,269
Hi guys,

Somehow, I lost my MDT's yesterday :frowning2: I hope whoever 'finds' them appreciates them!

I really liked the signature, more than other IEM's I've tried.. so I will probably just have to buy another pair in the future. But can anyone suggest any IEMs with a similar signature worth investigating, as an upgrade?

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2,197 of 2,269
Quote:
Hi guys,

Somehow, I lost my MDT's yesterday :frowning2: I hope whoever 'finds' them appreciates them!

I really liked the signature, more than other IEM's I've tried.. so I will probably just have to buy another pair in the future. But can anyone suggest any IEMs with a similar signature worth investigating, as an upgrade?

Thanks!

No suggestions for alternatives at the moment, just a note: I wouldn't wait too long to pick another pair up, considering they're already discontinued.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2,198 of 2,269
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I moved up to the Senn IE80s and think they're exactly an improved MDT.  Same idea but bigger soundstage, more bass (if you turn the bass control up), etc.  And also better and removable cable.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,199 of 2,269
Quote:
Hey guys,

How many tips do the refurbished ones (from ebay / Outlet Store) come with? What other stuff do you get with them?

Thanks!
Jimmy

You get a few sets of tips (just the silicone ones), shirt clip, the softer magnetic case, and the IEMs. That's it; pretty no frills. It just comes in a plastic zip-lock bag too.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #2,200 of 2,269
Honestly I don't think that any item has the buttery smooth sound that I hear from the miles davis tributes. The are my favorite. Headphones ever including the vmoda m80 and the dt1350's. The mids are so clean and the highs are just right (no sibilance yet not veiled). I really wish monster would use the same Sig. but with better bass on an over the ear portable.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,201 of 2,269
I'm on board with these. I just got them used from Amazon, and first impressions are very good. In terms of just sound, they don't quite topple my current IEM favs, the Radius DDM2, but they come pretty darn close. The MMDT's offer exactly what I was looking for: DDM2-similar sound sig (I consider myself a moderate basshead) with a more durable build and better isolation.

The DDM2 does have better soundstage and sub-bass, which I miss, but I'm sick of having to baby them around all the time; I've already broken one pair so now I'm afraid to use them out and about. I previously tried the Turbine Pro Coppers to fulfill my "daily IEM" role, but they had too much driver flex. The Miles Davis still have a little bit of flex in the right ear for me, but with smaller tips it becomes a non-issue. I'm using the orange Sony Hybrids right now.

Anyway, I am very happy so far with these Miles Davis. I wouldn't say they are really a good bang/buck value, but if you can find them used, then that's about right. You do get a ridiculous set of accessories and packaging, so even up to $250 I could personally justify for these; $150 would be a steal. I don't see much point in getting them new anymore, since the main reason to get them BNIB is to get the super warranty, but Monster is replacing them with Trumpets now. =/ 

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2,202 of 2,269
Hi Guys

New member here but I had owned the Monster Miles Davis Tribute for about 2 years.

Got them from Monster directly when I worked for best Buy (meaning yes, I did not pay anywhere near the $400 at that time or even half that).

Loved them! I listened to every genre of music. Loved the sound. used the #2 white super tips. Isolated great, especially when on an airplane.

I unfortunatly lost them (or someone snatched them from my bag along with the blue pouch) when i was at the gym. Yes I worked out with them. :frowning2: I was going to buy another pair but I rather save up and "upgrade".

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,203 of 2,269
Also picked up a pair of refurbished MD's (courtesy of the IEM deals thread). For 105 dollars, these are definitely worth the buy, and are surprisingly comfortable despite the size of the casing and included monster tips. Definite warmness/smoothness present for every genre of music, but is able to do so without sacrificing clarity in higher ranges. Basically can listen to anything from hip hop to pop music, and definitely digging the gold/blue color scheme.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,204 of 2,269
For the new owners of refurbished, Monster makes a sample pack of tips that could be worth a buy. I have seen the kit for 20-25 dollars. Staples had it for $25.00 and I got them on impulse. I don't have my MMDT anymore, but the tips I recalled as being great for the MMDT, and they are proving to go well with other IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back