Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,831 of 2,269

Quote:
How do the MDT compare to the eph100? The eph100 appreciation thread has a lot of rave reviews about them (of course), but it really makes me want to try them out.  If i hear from another MDT member that these are better then it will ease my mind and wanting another pair LOL.

I own both. 
popcorn.gif
 They complement each other. I originally did not like the change going from my EPH-100 to my Miles Davis. I felt the EPH-100 had more clarity and transparency and were suited to a more varied range of styles of music. But now after I burned in my Miles Davis, I have been preferring them due to the fuller sound and the longer decay.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,832 of 2,269

Quote:
My new MDTs came apart (the right one, the black name plate just slid out of the gold housing, very smooth connection) when I gently pulled them out of my ear. I knew they could be easily fixed with some crazy glue (it was as if there was no glue/adhesive at all on that specific housing), but I called and asked of I could get the Trumpets as a replacement, out of curiosity. The CSR said not unless I paid the difference. She asked what I paid for the MDTs (got them during the sale).  When I told her my price, she said I would have to take the MDTs and it would take 3-4 weeks minimum for replacement. I said thanks, but decided to keep the ones I have and sure enough a dab of crazy glue was all they needed. If the sound goes out, etc., then I will get an RMA and exercise my warranty replacement. If there are MDTs left, I guess they will send me another one. If not, who knows?

So I am not sure they will automatically replace the MDTs with the Trumpets. It may depend on your invoice price (if you paid $349 they would give you the Trumpets, but if you paid $149 or less, they may give you a replacement of equal value based on actual sale price. Lady Ga-Ga's anyone?).

Pretty sure someone was told that once the MDT stock was completely gone it would be replaced by the current Miles Davis headphone. I am guessing they have some warranty stock that they won't sell just for warranties but 5 yrs from now when something goes wrong and they don't have any I am guessing it will be whatever Miles Davis they have at that time or something with a comparable retail price if they don't have a Miles Davis line any more.

I hope they just last as I really like them and based on what I have ready am very confident I won't like the Trumpets nearly as much besides I don't have an Iphone so the idea of the built in Icontrol seems useless and annoying.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,833 of 2,269
awesome! exactly what i wanted to hear! ill be satisfied with my MDT.  thanks for the comparison.

Quote:
I own both. 
popcorn.gif
 They complement each other. I originally did not like the change going from my EPH-100 to my Miles Davis. I felt the EPH-100 had more clarity and transparency and were suited to a more varied range of styles of music. But now after I burned in my Miles Davis, I have been preferring them due to the fuller sound and the longer decay.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,834 of 2,269

Quote:
I own both. 
popcorn.gif

I find this interesting as I find these great for every type of music I have listened to on them so far. Rap, Rock, Metal, Classical, Jazz, Electronic, Dubstep etc all sound good on them. What music have you found that the EPH-100 sound better?

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,835 of 2,269

Quote:
No official confirmation - but a educated guess that in several months they would be out of MDT's all together (incl stock held for warranty changing customers)

They are sold out-  but as someone else said, Monster MIGHT keep some in the back to try and cover exchanges.
but that won't last forever, if at all.

And yes that person who called was me :)
As I said, the trumpets REPLACE the tributes, but we have no idea if they still have MDT's in the back store.

True. They probably have some somewhere. I just got my set it in and its the French Version (french language on box etc). They will probably replace for a while now that I think about it. I guess we will see what we get when they are no longer around. Hopefully we never have that day come. :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,836 of 2,269

Quote:
How do the MDT compare to the eph100? The eph100 appreciation thread has a lot of rave reviews about them (of course), but it really makes me want to try them out.  If i hear from another MDT member that these are better then it will ease my mind and wanting another pair LOL.

I find this interesting as I find these great for every type of music I have listened to on them so far. Rap, Rock, Metal, Classical, Jazz, Electronic, Dubstep etc all sound good on them. What music have you found that the EPH-100 sound better?

I also think they complement each other. The yamahas to me have more detail, clarity, speed and  provide better comfort. Also, they have a wider soundstage. While on the other hand, the MDT's sound more musical, they have better bass and mids, and definitely have a better construction quality. 

I think that the yamahas are better for rock in general (punk, metal, etc) because of clarity and speed. Also I like to hear artists like Jack Jonson on the yamahas because of the wider soundstage and the details you can pick. For everything else, I prefer the MDT's (pop, jazz, electronica, hip-hop, you name it).

EDIT: I'm not saying however that the yamahas are bad on other genres. In fact, I think they are do very good with almost every genre, but they truly excel at rock.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,837 of 2,269
Quote:
I hope they just last as I really like them and based on what I have ready am very confident I won't like the Trumpets nearly as much besides I don't have an Iphone so the idea of the built in Icontrol seems useless and annoying.

X2 on every point above

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,839 of 2,269
I agree they should replace it with a comparable headphone, not based on sale price but on MSRP.  But as you saw, when I tried to get something like that, they were well aware of the fire sale prices and decided I had to pay the difference if I wanted the Trumpets. I was just asking out of curiosity, because I would rather have the MDTs too. But as you note, some day they will run out of MDTs for replacements.

That would show a double standard of some sort. If you buy a Monster product from an authorized seller and send it to Monster for warranty replacement they will replace it with the same product if it is in stock regardless of what you paid for it. I only paid $179 for my Pro Coppers from the Dell price mistake a year or two ago and send them twice to Monsters and they never gave me any trouble about how much I paid for them.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,840 of 2,269

Quote:
That would show a double standard of some sort. If you buy a Monster product from an authorized seller and send it to Monster for warranty replacement they will replace it with the same product if it is in stock regardless of what you paid for it. I only paid $179 for my Pro Coppers from the Dell price mistake a year or two ago and send them twice to Monsters and they never gave me any trouble about how much I paid for them.

Seriously, that is not how it works or is supposed to.  I would talk to that reps supervisor or send an email to Noel Lee if that doesn't work.  Things should be exchanged for like kind items as in similar or exact MSRP, not actual purchase price.  Monster sets the MSRP value themselves and in fact the Trumpets are $100 less than the MDs so I would ask for a $100 voucher or credit from Monster tbh.  Note to vendors, don't try to rip off your customers, especially in the age of the internet.  Considering many feel the pricing to be a rip off in itself, that's a double FU bomb to the consumer if you want to play that game.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,841 of 2,269

Quote:
I own both. 
popcorn.gif

X2 to me EPH-100 designed by sound engineer, Miles Davis designed by musician

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,842 of 2,269
Hey guys. I have had my MDT's for a while now and I've always thought that they were real. But, I stumbled upon this picture on eBay:

The user said all of the fake ones have a longer connector. 

My pair seems like it has a longer connector. The drivers, though, seem to be real and the color of the gold matches across the entire earpiece. 

Is there a possibility that my pair are fake? I'm a bit skeptical about my pair's legitimacy because the original owner I bought it from said he won the earphones as a prize, so he never received a receipt.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,844 of 2,269

Quote:
Hey guys. I have had my MDT's for a while now and I've always thought that they were real. But, I stumbled upon this picture on eBay:

My pair seems like it has a longer connector. The drivers, though, seem to be real and the color of the gold matches across the entire earpiece. 

Is there a possibility that my pair are fake? I'm a bit skeptical about my pair's legitimacy because the original owner I bought it from said he won the earphones as a prize, so he never received a receipt.

Try comparing it to the connector in this video (skip to 4:33): 

You can see the difference. That picture you posted seems like a picture of a genuine connector.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,845 of 2,269

Quote:

Hope this helps! (in centimeters)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back