Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 15, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,816 of 2,269
Damn thats a pretty nice decore, how exactly did you do that? Want to try this out but it seems like its really glued together.  any tips?

Quote:
I took that idea but made it into a more clean look by de-coring the Monsters Foam Supertips and using the Radio Shack Auvio tips. I am very impressed by the isolation I am getting and the comfort. The sound-stage has increased a little bit and now I am getting a more balanced sound. I like how the foam looks like it was meant to fit in there. The Auvio eartips are so dense now and feel similar to the gel supertips but with a wider bore opening.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10788687

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,817 of 2,269

Quote:
Damn thats a pretty nice decore, how exactly did you do that? Want to try this out but it seems like its really glued together.  any tips?

You would need the Auvio tips and one of the smaller Monster's foam supertips. They are glued with some type of very light silicone so when you want to pull out the core of the foam work your nail in front of the core around the edges to get a grip and start to pull the core out in small increments and it will pull right out and clean. Then find the Auvio eartips that you would like to use. If you are using a very small Auvio eartip you would need to use the smallest of the foam supertips or it will have too much overhang.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,818 of 2,269
Woo!!!!! I take anything negative that I ever said about the Miles Davis back! I can't believe how good and different they sound now after burning them. They changed from me not finding them good enough for metal and speed metal to now being my go to earphones to listen to Metal double bass drumming and rhythm guitar. What I find that I like about them is how the tone stay for the longest time and the reverberation.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,819 of 2,269
I just can't stop listening to them since yesterday. Amazing earphone out of the box. I can throw anything at them without offending my ears. And unlike MG7, these sound very nice at lower volume.

Quote:
You would need the Auvio tips and one of the smaller Monster's foam supertips. They are glued with some type of very light silicone so when you want to pull out the core of the foam work your nail in front of the core around the edges to get a grip and start to pull the core out in small increments and it will pull right out and clean. Then find the Auvio eartips that you would like to use. If you are using a very small Auvio eartip you would need to use the smallest of the foam supertips or it will have too much overhang.

How are the Auvio smaller tips compared to MD smallest silicone tips? These are the only ones that fit me but I wish they were tiny bigger.

Too bad the Klipsch oval tips don't fit them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,820 of 2,269
Agreed, totally different earphones after burn in. I'm probably under 24 hours still, but the bass has really toned down to my liking. i find myself reaching for these more than my Westone 3s now.  Im finding the bass very good for electronic music.  So far im very happy with this purchase.  I just really wish they werent so flashy.

Quote:
Woo!!!!! I take anything negative that I ever said about the Miles Davis back! I can't believe how good and different they sound now after burning them. They changed from me not finding them good enough for metal and speed metal to now being my go to earphones to listen to Metal double bass drumming and rhythm guitar. What I find that I like about them is how the tone stay for the longest time and the reverberation.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,821 of 2,269

Quote:
 I just really wish they werent so flashy.

i know man, i feel rather absurd with these flashy gold things sticking out of my ears  
blink.gif

its totally worth it though  
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,823 of 2,269

Quote:
 Im finding the bass very good for electronic music.  So far im very happy with this purchase.  I just really wish they werent so flashy.

I agree about electronic music and the MDT's, these are great for working out for example. (yes I use my MDT's at the gym, no problems so far in almost 8 months :p ). And I've come to really like the flashy look they have, give it some time and I'm sure you will too :wink:

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #1,824 of 2,269

Quote:
I just can't stop listening to them since yesterday. Amazing earphone out of the box. I can throw anything at them without offending my ears. And unlike MG7, these sound very nice at lower volume.

How are the Auvio smaller tips compared to MD smallest silicone tips? These are the only ones that fit me but I wish they were tiny bigger.

Too bad the Klipsch oval tips don't fit them.

They Auvio's run really small. I find myself using one size bigger that I would with the Monster's tips.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #1,825 of 2,269

Quote:
I agree about electronic music and the MDT's, these are great for working out for example. (yes I use my MDT's at the gym, no problems so far in almost 8 months :p ). And I've come to really like the flashy look they have, give it some time and I'm sure you will too :wink:

The gym! I am a clutz I may end up dropping them in the threadmill or something. lol! I want to preserve mine as much as possible. They are no longer going to make them and if you send them to Monster for the warranty they are instead going to send you a Miles Davis Trumpet. Totally different signature with less bass.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #1,826 of 2,269

Quote:
The gym! I am a clutz I may end up dropping them in the threadmill or something. lol! I want to preserve mine as much as possible. They are no longer going to make them and if you send them to Monster for the warranty they are instead going to send you a Miles Davis Trumpet. Totally different signature with less bass.

But there's not any official confirmation on that, right? I take care of  my MDT's but at the same time I feel secure knowing that there is a lifetime warranty. Anyway, lately I've been using more my Yamahas eph100 for the gym (they are more comfortable). But I used to have more fun at the gym while using the MDT's 
atsmile.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,827 of 2,269

Quote:
But there's not any official confirmation on that, right? I take care of  my MDT's but at the same time I feel secure knowing that there is a lifetime warranty. Anyway, lately I've been using more my Yamahas eph100 for the gym (they are more comfortable). But I used to have more fun at the gym while using the MDT's 
atsmile.gif

They are not producing MDTs anymore...  so you def. will not be getting one as a replacement (they just sold out their stock). But there was some one that called Monster during the sale and asked and they said that yes, the Trumpets are taking the MDTs place in Monsters line up and would be the replacement.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,828 of 2,269

Quote:
atsmile.gif

No official confirmation - but a educated guess that in several months they would be out of MDT's all together (incl stock held for warranty changing customers)

Quote:
They are not producing MDTs anymore...  so you def. will not be getting one as a replacement (they just sold out their stock). But there was some one that called Monster during the sale and asked and they said that yes, the Trumpets are taking the MDTs place in Monsters line up and would be the replacement.

They are sold out-  but as someone else said, Monster MIGHT keep some in the back to try and cover exchanges.
but that won't last forever, if at all.

And yes that person who called was me :)
As I said, the trumpets REPLACE the tributes, but we have no idea if they still have MDT's in the back store.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,829 of 2,269
Got mine a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to listen to them last night, fresh out of the box. Kind of Blue sounded great. When I played some rock vocals on them, they sounded odd - different than any other phones. Timing/tempo/tonality just sounded strange, perhaps due to longer decay due to tuning for jazz? Just guessing.

Am guessing this will clear up some with time as most seem to love these with all kinds of music.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,830 of 2,269
How do the MDT compare to the eph100? The eph100 appreciation thread has a lot of rave reviews about them (of course), but it really makes me want to try them out.  If i hear from another MDT member that these are better then it will ease my mind and wanting another pair LOL.

Quote:
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back