Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jun 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,351 of 2,269
How does the midrange of these compare to the Coppers? One of the things I love about the Coppers over the Golds is just how much more resolving and detailed the mids are.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,352 of 2,269

Got an unknown set of MDs today to compare and ran them side by side on the dual HO of my Arrow.  They look and feel like real MD's.  They also virtually sound identical or at least they are on the same tier and are not deficient.  They lack filters and as far as I can tell have a smidge of increased brightness but also leaves the upper mids more susceptible to sibilance and/or splashiness.  Nothing really bothersome and if you are used to CK10s then these filterless MDs are no prob.  If one wanted to they could also play around with adding some various foams or using some Head Direct filters like on the RE0 or RE262.  If one felt the need.  IMO, they are real MD's.  The MDs have great synergy w/ the AD8397 opamps on the Arrow 4G and I would guess the Stepdance would be even more awesome for similar reasons.  They don't get along w/ OPA627 opamps I can say that much.  Rich+rich=too much.  Even the AD8610 on the UHA4 is too much.  Estreeter was right, the bass on the UHA4 is not exactly neutral.  Now I can understand how some might get absolutely blown away by the bass on the MDs.  Check your chain folks or get another phone.    

I forgot how much I enjoyed these fun phones.  Colored/fun IEMs don't usually have the same level of proficiency the MDs do.  They also have unique mid and SS presentations with width and depth of equal and intimate proportions.  I was thinking of selling them but they sure do sound good.  Yes the bass is heavy but w/ good power and decent volume everything falls more inline.  Definitely not a low volume IEM.  Bass would just be flabby, muddy and bleed all over the place.  I also remembered them to be slower than they are.  But it's only true for speed metal and fast electronic.  They have plenty of speed for Classic rock like Supertramp or Rush.  They never fall behind on Supertramp's 'Cannonball'.  Not even on stuff from New Order or the Happy Mondays for example.  They are staying.  
biggrin.gif

@Selenium

Copper Mids to me are hint recessed and a bit too dry and analytical for my tastes.  They do have nice detail though.  The MDs have great mid detail as well but are more forward and much lusher.  I prefer them over the Golds for most everything.  The choice between the two is mostly a matter of preference.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #1,354 of 2,269
Hey guys, It's been about 3 weeks since I sent my pair into Monster for warranty replacement, and they've not contacted me in regards to when my new pair will be sent or anything like that, how long does it usually take to process? I'm getting a little worried I might not even get them back. Cheers.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,355 of 2,269
I'm expecting delivery of my set of these from Amazon on Monday.  I just want to thank head-fi.org for quickly jumping into my wallet.  I thought I was happy with my original headphones, the Beats tours, but no.  I had to read around the forum, and decided that I needed to upgrade.  If it were not for this place, I would be $300 richer.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I can't wait to test out the new set though.

btw, I originally came here to find out opinions on the comply foam tips, that's all.  And now I have new headphones.  It's addictive. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,356 of 2,269

Quote:
Hey guys, It's been about 3 weeks since I sent my pair into Monster for warranty replacement, and they've not contacted me in regards to when my new pair will be sent or anything like that, how long does it usually take to process? I'm getting a little worried I might not even get them back. Cheers.

the turnaround can be painfully long. it took them 4 weeks to send out my replacement turbines; although they were quicker with the MD's. did they have you ship them to the US?

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,358 of 2,269
Ouch, that's alarming. I'd be pissed too if $500 merch went missing; you have all the right..
Did you give them your name and adress when they couldnt find your RMA #? I'm guessing somewhere between the rep reading the computer screen and you writing the info, a number was missed(this is why I always ask for an e-mail confirmation). Hopefully your package is just sitting in their warehouse, at the top of an unconfirmed pile.
G/L man

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,359 of 2,269
Cheers Aleki, ah crap, um well I kept the original email of the RMA no. that the monster rep gave me and I've forwarded it to the other one so hopefully she can work something out or other wise I'm screwed.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,360 of 2,269

Quote:
Cheers Aleki, ah crap, um well I kept the original email of the RMA no. that the monster rep gave me and I've forwarded it to the other one so hopefully she can work something out or other wise I'm screwed.

They'll take care of you in the end.  Sometimes they have a few monkeys pounding on keyboards over there but they won't shaft you in the end. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,361 of 2,269
My MDT's came today, and I'm currently listening to Led Zeppelin IV using comply Tx400 tips.  Fantastic!  Much more detail than the Beats Tours I was using.  I'll probably hold onto the Beats, use them when I'm cutting grass or working in the yard.  

The MDT's.  What's to say, they sound wonderful.  The detail is great.  I didn't think I'd hear a huge difference between my IEM's, seeing as they are made by the same company, but wow.  The mids are more forward and detailed.  Everything sounds more lush and open.  Even the soundstage is improved.  I've wanted these for a while, but the initial cost, and then me being indecisive, I held off.  But I'm glad I have them now.  I'm going to give them some time to "burn in", but out of the box, they sound great.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,362 of 2,269

Quote:
My MDT's came today, and I'm currently listening to Led Zeppelin IV using comply Tx400 tips.  Fantastic!  Much more detail than the Beats Tours I was using.  I'll probably hold onto the Beats, use them when I'm cutting grass or working in the yard.  

The MDT's.  What's to say, they sound wonderful.  The detail is great.  I didn't think I'd hear a huge difference between my IEM's, seeing as they are made by the same company, but wow.  The mids are more forward and detailed.  Everything sounds more lush and open.  Even the soundstage is improved.  I've wanted these for a while, but the initial cost, and then me being indecisive, I held off.  But I'm glad I have them now.  I'm going to give them some time to "burn in", but out of the box, they sound great.

Glad you like them
wink.gif

From experience, or maybe it was luck, I would discourage using the any of the color noise tracks(especially pink) for the MD's. after several exchanges, I think I have found a pair that didnt end up sounding out of balance. The only difference between this pair and my previous is the lack of burn-in tracks. Just listen to your music and let them settle in
gs1000.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,363 of 2,269

Quote:
Glad you like them
wink.gif

From experience, or maybe it was luck, I would discourage using the any of the color noise tracks(especially pink) for the MD's. after several exchanges, I think I have found a pair that didnt end up sounding out of balance. The only difference between this pair and my previous is the lack of burn-in tracks. Just listen to your music and let them settle in
gs1000.gif

Okay, thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.  Right now I'm rocking to "Wasting Light" from the Foo Fighters.  Sounds soooo good.  

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #1,365 of 2,269
I havent encountered any nozzle separation with the MD's. However, keep in mind that the glue separation was more of a batch problem with the earlier builds than anything else; so it shouldnt affect any of the newer Monster IEM's. As for durability of the drivers, I have gone through 4 or 5 pairs of MD's(lost count, lol) because of how out of balance they sounded; where I have yet to experience a significant issue with the coppers(they sound slightly out of balance, however it wasnt as obvious as the MD's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back