Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #1,246 of 2,269
I only just recently listened to these, and boy was I impressed.  I had the UM3x, W3, SE535, SE425 on hand for comparisons, and the MMDs more than stood up to the competition.  They're the most expensive out of the five but dang, I was ready to hand over cash only to be told that I had to wait for stock to come in.  Let me explain.

The bass is sublimely powerful, deep, and very well controlled.  More importantly, it does not bleed into the midrange which means your vocal/instrumental texture and timbre are largely preserved.  The midrange in general sounds mellow, detailed and clear, yet not overly warm.  It will readily reproduce the rasp, husky voices of our favourite vocalists.  The high frequencies retain a particular sparkle which in turn is not overly sibilant.  Overall, these really impressed me.  Their powerful sound makes for a very entertaining listen, and the clarity was something I had previously not encountered in a dynamic driver IEM (including the IE8, high end Sony, etc).  I also enjoyed how alive recordings sounded, and the speaker-like presentation.

The W3 and SE425 sound pretty congested in comparison, and lacked in refinement.  The SE425 in particular was too bright.  The upper midrange stood out like a sore thumb.  Neither gave the impression that I was listening to a high-end earphone.  To be honest, I was very surprised given the glowing reviews that they received, and also the common assumption that balanced armature drivers tend to be more capable of reproducing detail.  I guess I was wrong.  As for the UM3x, these I thought were much more "neutral", but still lacked in overall refinement.  Sure, they were more detailed and more true-to-recording than the latter two, but I expected a lot more from them and was both surprised and underwhelmed given their lofty placement in Westone's UM lineup.  Lastly, the SE535 was the only earphone that really stood a chance against the MMD in terms of enjoyment and refinement.  The SE535 has a much more balanced sound signature and will suit a wider range of genres.  The bass, like the MMD's does not smear the midrange detail but isn't as powerful.  Boy Shure they improved the SE535 both physically (the cable!!) and sonically since the the questionable E500 PTH (which I have owned twice and subsequently sold, twice...).

Sadly, the MMD is not perfect.  Yes.  It is a very addictive, powerful sound.  Yes, instruments come alive.  And yes, the clarity and overall realism of the sound far exceeds even some of its more renowned rivals.  But the bass is too much for some genres, namely classical music.  Anything that involves a cello or lower pitched instrument simply sounds silly.  The emphasis put on the lower midrange/bass is inappropriate and renders the MMD pretty much unlistenable.  I'm a classically trained musician myself (amateur/serious "hobby" violinist) and whilst the MMD is great for solo violin - maybe still a tad too warm? - but I wouldn't be reaching for these for anything symphonic.  Having said that, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, general rock/pop/dance simply sound sublime.

Physically, the whole IEM looks pretty sweet, though the cable does look like it could be made a little sturdier.  I also like the presentation box and every extra "freebie" thrown into the package.  Lifetime warranty? Tick. 

For everyone who loves jazz, rock, Jap/Chinese pop and RnB, I urge you to go try the MMD.  Listen for yourself.  Even to those who come from a background of high-end audio and custom IEMs, these might be worth checking out.  For purveyors of the perfect, true-to-recording sound, these may not appeal as much.  However at this price range, true high-end refinement is really difficult to find and if you can accept the amplified bass, these will still wow you with their open, speaker-like, powerful presentation.  I will go as far in saying that to my ears, these are certainly more refined than the W3 and SE425.  The UM3x's more neutral presentation may be more appealing to some (does more things to an acceptable standard, but nothing really well) and the same goes for the SE535, though, the latter does come close in clarity and enjoyment.  I think what will put people of the MMD is its price and sound signature, especially fans of classical music.  It seems awfully expensive to buy this just for particular genre(s) of music, but heck, who cares if even 5 minutes of Louis Armstrong will make your spine tingle and your heart beat faster?! :D

Monster, you have outdone yourself.  I, like many others, have spurned Monster in the past.  Looking back at the early threads re: release of the Monster line of IEMs, I see many Head-Fiers bad-mouthing their products even before listening themselves.  Some even went as far as calling these pieces of ssss.  It's like what happens whenever Bose, B&O are mentioned.  Having finally auditioned these, I feel I have really learned a lesson in humility.  I didn't expect this level of quality from what I've always considered a pretty "consumer grade" company.  If these were cheaper, it should have the Westone management trembling in their beds at night.  Shure don't have as much to worry about as the SE535 is pretty solid and can be found at very reasonable prices. 

Got to go.  Hope I didn't go on for too long.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #1,247 of 2,269

Quote:
I only just recently listened to these, and boy was I impressed.  I had the UM3x, W3, SE535, SE425 on hand for comparisons, and the MMDs more than stood up to the competition.  They're the most expensive out of the five but dang, I was ready to hand over cash only to be told that I had to wait for stock to come in.  Let me explain.

The bass is sublimely powerful, deep, and very well controlled.  More importantly, it does not bleed into the midrange which means your vocal/instrumental texture and timbre are largely preserved.  The midrange in general sounds mellow, detailed and clear, yet not overly warm.  It will readily reproduce the rasp, husky voices of our favourite vocalists.  The high frequencies retain a particular sparkle which in turn is not overly sibilant.  Overall, these really impressed me.  Their powerful sound makes for a very entertaining listen, and the clarity was something I had previously not encountered in a dynamic driver IEM (including the IE8, high end Sony, etc).  I also enjoyed how alive recordings sounded, and the speaker-like presentation.

The W3 and SE425 sound pretty congested in comparison, and lacked in refinement.  The SE425 in particular was too bright.  The upper midrange stood out like a sore thumb.  Neither gave the impression that I was listening to a high-end earphone.  To be honest, I was very surprised given the glowing reviews that they received, and also the common assumption that balanced armature drivers tend to be more capable of reproducing detail.  I guess I was wrong.  As for the UM3x, these I thought were much more "neutral", but still lacked in overall refinement.  Sure, they were more detailed and more true-to-recording than the latter two, but I expected a lot more from them and was both surprised and underwhelmed given their lofty placement in Westone's UM lineup.  Lastly, the SE535 was the only earphone that really stood a chance against the MMD in terms of enjoyment and refinement.  The SE535 has a much more balanced sound signature and will suit a wider range of genres.  The bass, like the MMD's does not smear the midrange detail but isn't as powerful.  Boy Shure they improved the SE535 both physically (the cable!!) and sonically since the the questionable E500 PTH (which I have owned twice and subsequently sold, twice...).

Sadly, the MMD is not perfect.  Yes.  It is a very addictive, powerful sound.  Yes, instruments come alive.  And yes, the clarity and overall realism of the sound far exceeds even some of its more renowned rivals.  But the bass is too much for some genres, namely classical music.  Anything that involves a cello or lower pitched instrument simply sounds silly.  The emphasis put on the lower midrange/bass is inappropriate and renders the MMD pretty much unlistenable.  I'm a classically trained musician myself (amateur/serious "hobby" violinist) and whilst the MMD is great for solo violin - maybe still a tad too warm? - but I wouldn't be reaching for these for anything symphonic.  Having said that, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, general rock/pop/dance simply sound sublime.

Physically, the whole IEM looks pretty sweet, though the cable does look like it could be made a little sturdier.  I also like the presentation box and every extra "freebie" thrown into the package.  Lifetime warranty? Tick. 

For everyone who loves jazz, rock, Jap/Chinese pop and RnB, I urge you to go try the MMD.  Listen for yourself.  Even to those who come from a background of high-end audio and custom IEMs, these might be worth checking out.  For purveyors of the perfect, true-to-recording sound, these may not appeal as much.  However at this price range, true high-end refinement is really difficult to find and if you can accept the amplified bass, these will still wow you with their open, speaker-like, powerful presentation.  I will go as far in saying that to my ears, these are certainly more refined than the W3 and SE425.  The UM3x's more neutral presentation may be more appealing to some (does more things to an acceptable standard, but nothing really well) and the same goes for the SE535, though, the latter does come close in clarity and enjoyment.  I think what will put people of the MMD is its price and sound signature, especially fans of classical music.  It seems awfully expensive to buy this just for particular genre(s) of music, but heck, who cares if even 5 minutes of Louis Armstrong will make your spine tingle and your heart beat faster?! :D

Monster, you have outdone yourself.  I, like many others, have spurned Monster in the past.  Looking back at the early threads re: release of the Monster line of IEMs, I see many Head-Fiers bad-mouthing their products even before listening themselves.  Some even went as far as calling these pieces of ssss.  It's like what happens whenever Bose, B&O are mentioned.  Having finally auditioned these, I feel I have really learned a lesson in humility.  I didn't expect this level of quality from what I've always considered a pretty "consumer grade" company.  If these were cheaper, it should have the Westone management trembling in their beds at night.  Shure don't have as much to worry about as the SE535 is pretty solid and can be found at very reasonable prices. 

Hey Milkpowder,

Sure you didn't go on for too long, its very well-extended in fact. And i really agreed to most of what you have said. UM3X and MDs at times have pretty opposite side of listening effect. UM3X can get more and more boring over length listen, While the MD just keeps you going and going instead, easily the more 'fun & pleasurable' sound signature of the two.

And given the crudely "V" shaped sound signature of W3 (unless you happened to have the lucky chosen one to have a ears god-made or skilled to wear W3 at the right tip right way to listen to W3 at its best like ljokerl indirectly indicated in his massive iem review)

Their sound was a direct opposite too to MD with its slightly forward mid compared to its treble and (at times equal with) bass.

Conclusively these would quite rule the top end on the ranking charts of "Do No Wrong and includes Sonic Pleasure" with W4 coming close and at times top for those who are not demanding of the Bass in Quality and Quantity.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,248 of 2,269

Quote:

Great post, pretty spot on.  Whenever I think of what sounds good on the MDs it's anything you would find in a small Jazz club or House of Blues type setting.  I just can't quite part w/ them.  Using tips and various source synergies (DACPort is ideal) I can help to vary the bass quantity and give the MDs the power they deserve.  The phones are about intimacy, emotion and presence.  I'm glad you liked them.  Nice read.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,249 of 2,269

Quote:
Great post, pretty spot on.  Whenever I think of what sounds good on the MDs it's anything you would find in a small Jazz club or House of Blues type setting.  I just can't quite part w/ them.  Using tips and various source synergies (DACPort is ideal) I can help to vary the bass quantity and give the MDs the power they deserve.  The phones are about intimacy, emotion and presence.  I'm glad you liked them.  Nice read.

+1

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,250 of 2,269
Need to ask your opinion guys, now I want a new IEM well to be honest I just want a new IEM since i've spent the last week in my room writing this essay that I handed in at exactly 12:00AM so i didn't lose 10% thank god,

but anyway I'm considering the CK90 Pro after reading the review by mvwv2 or MTPC, or UM3x which is a fair stretch away. Reason as to why I'm considering 90pro is well it's much cheaper than UM3x and some one said it sounds similar, though i may just have to get the um3x..

AND was considering either the HD-25's or TMA1s, I can't handle the M50s they make my ears way to hot after like half an hour and now that I've been listening to the MD's for other genres apart from heavy metal, I can't stand the sibliance.

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #1,251 of 2,269

Quote:
Need to ask your opinion guys, now I want a new IEM well to be honest I just want a new IEM since i've spent the last week in my room writing this essay that I handed in at exactly 12:00AM so i didn't lose 10% thank god,

but anyway I'm considering the CK90 Pro after reading the review by mvwv2 or MTPC, or UM3x which is a fair stretch away. Reason as to why I'm considering 90pro is well it's much cheaper than UM3x and some one said it sounds similar, though i may just have to get the um3x..

AND was considering either the HD-25's or TMA1s, I can't handle the M50s they make my ears way to hot after like half an hour and now that I've been listening to the MD's for other genres apart from heavy metal, I can't stand the sibliance.

Hmm, assuming the M50's have been broken in after a few weeks and you still hear sibilance I would stay away from the Coppers.  Plus i think to be safe you might want even more speed than the Coppers despite them being faster than the MDs.  IEM wise you might consider the GR07, W4, 535 also.

Headphones the HD25 might be brighter than the M50's, not sure but ask joker on that one.  TMA1s sound like a very dark phone from my reading though I haven't heard them personally.  If you can go open phone I would get the HD558.  Sounds right up your alley.  Perhaps ask if the FA-003 users suffer from hot ears.

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,252 of 2,269

Quote:

Seconded your impression. I am a professional classical pianist by profession and I love my MD dearly. Strangely, although initially I find that the idea of listening to classical music (mainly solo piano works and chamber music) on MD is a little bit disconcerting due to peculiar sound signature, but I've somewhat grown to like it. Try listening to Chopin or Rachmaninov on MD, they sound somewhat more masculine. I still don't listen to symphonies on them though. As for other genres such as jazz and country, MD is totally the IEM for those genres.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #1,253 of 2,269
A week and a half ago I got a iQube V1 from another HFer and put 20 some odd hours through it so far. Initial impressions so far is that it is indeed the king of clarity and transparency helping out a little with the separation of instruments and a larger soundstage that still sounds as intimate as ever. Bass extension also got a boost too and over time I'll definitely write down more impressions and thoughts about bout the iQube and MDs once their burned in properly.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #1,254 of 2,269

Quote:
A week and a half ago I got a iQube V1 from another HFer and put 20 some odd hours through it so far. Initial impressions so far is that it is indeed the king of clarity and transparency helping out a little with the separation of instruments and a larger soundstage that still sounds as intimate as ever. Bass extension also got a boost too and over time I'll definitely write down more impressions and thoughts about bout the iQube and MDs once their burned in properly.

Wow sounds great! I will be waiting for it!
popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #1,255 of 2,269
Quote:
Hey Milkpowder,

Sure you didn't go on for too long, its very well-extended in fact. And i really agreed to most of what you have said. UM3X and MDs at times have pretty opposite side of listening effect. UM3X can get more and more boring over length listen, While the MD just keeps you going and going instead, easily the more 'fun & pleasurable' sound signature of the two.

And given the crudely "V" shaped sound signature of W3 (unless you happened to have the lucky chosen one to have a ears god-made or skilled to wear W3 at the right tip right way to listen to W3 at its best like ljokerl indirectly indicated in his massive iem review)

Their sound was a direct opposite too to MD with its slightly forward mid compared to its treble and (at times equal with) bass.

Conclusively these would quite rule the top end on the ranking charts of "Do No Wrong and includes Sonic Pleasure" with W4 coming close and at times top for those who are not demanding of the Bass in Quality and Quantity.

I was exceptionally disappointed by the W3.  It certainly isn't honest to the original recording and the sound was grainy, unrefined, bearing little resemblance to how the instruments actually sound together in real life.  Blame it on fit; blame it on the recording, but I find it hard to imagine that anything will change what I deem to be an inherently flawed design .  Even the friendly headphone shop owner (a pretty serious headphone enthusiast himself) also owned up to the fact that he was selling more SE535 than W3 despite their proximity in price in Hong Kong.  I'm curious to know how the W4 handles and want to audition a pair for myself.  There are too many rave (read: FOTM/hype) reviews, just like when the E500/SM3/W3 first came out.

Quote:

I didn't get a chance to try different tips or amplification.  I used the small mushroom tips and they seem to do wonders.  How do they rate in terms of bass response?  A few years ago when I used universal-fit IEMs I remember intentionally using slim Complys to tune down the bass response, my rationale being slightly looser fit = more bass leak.  It certainly worked.  I'm sure the porosity/density of the tip also matters too.

Quote:

Seconded your impression. I am a professional classical pianist by profession and I love my MD dearly. Strangely, although initially I find that the idea of listening to classical music (mainly solo piano works and chamber music) on MD is a little bit disconcerting due to peculiar sound signature, but I've somewhat grown to like it. Try listening to Chopin or Rachmaninov on MD, they sound somewhat more masculine. I still don't listen to symphonies on them though. As for other genres such as jazz and country, MD is totally the IEM for those genres.

I'm intrigued by its performance for chamber music, especially how the cellos, double basses sound.  The MD sure have a solid bass, but for symphonic works even the double basses can sound too dominant.  It's a real shame, because the midrange and highs are seemingly unaffected.  I was wondering whether the same is true in the context of chamber music.  I guess I consider myself a bit of a purist and like to hear instruments reproduced as they would sound in real life, ie realistic timbre, attack & decay.  Probably why I'm especially picky about classical music it is typically heard completely unamplified, meaning what you hear is how the instrument sounds.  Compared to rock, pop and even jazz, where almost everything is amplified, I am less fussy about how the headphone "colours" the sound because when hearing artists live, the sound is inherently coloured by the amplification process, most of the time intentionally so (eg guitar amps, EQ to boost the bass, etc)  I wonder whether there are others out their who share my sentiments.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #1,256 of 2,269
Just got my replacement MDs and I'm happy to say they have the bass that I was expecting !
L3000.gif

So something was definitely up with the pair I bought second-hand from the FS forum, but thanks to Monster's excellent warranty I got a brand new pair at the price of second hand ones.
biggrin.gif

I'm also liking the new brown box they come in and the selection of tips.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,257 of 2,269

Quote:
Just got my replacement MDs and I'm happy to say they have the bass that I was expecting !
L3000.gif

So something was definitely up with the pair I bought second-hand from the FS forum, but thanks to Monster's excellent warranty I got a brand new pair at the price of second hand ones.
biggrin.gif

I'm also liking the new brown box they come in and the selection of tips.

Congrats Shamrock! Glad you love them! Against FX700, MD's bass has more rumble and energy. And it compliments FX700 extremely well!!

MD's glossy smoothness over bad recordings and its comparably more smooth and intimately warm mids were in total contrast to FX700.

Hand-In-Hand i guess it wrapped up my need for Dynamic Universals! =D

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,258 of 2,269

Quote:
Congrats Shamrock! Glad you love them! Against FX700, MD's bass has more rumble and energy. And it compliments FX700 extremely well!!  
MD's glossy smoothness over bad recordings and its comparably more smooth and intimately warm mids were in total contrast to FX700.

Hand-In-Hand i guess it wrapped up my need for Dynamic Universals! =D

Thanks, I think I'm done with buying stuff for a while now. I've got pretty much every basshead-ish IEM and headphone I've read about so unless anyone can recommend more? Actually don't!
tongue.gif

I was looking at the JVC DX1000 or Thunderpants, but I'm not sure I really can afford to get any more for now.

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,259 of 2,269

Quote:

Thanks, I think I'm done with buying stuff for a while now. I've got pretty much every basshead-ish IEM and headphone I've read about so unless anyone can recommend more? Actually don't!
tongue.gif

I was looking at the JVC DX1000 or Thunderpants, but I'm not sure I really can afford to get any more for now.

Yeah! Especially when witnessing the spatial cueing capability of FX700, it does makes me curious to see how DX1000 fares, and i forgot was it Skylabs or who that reviewed the DX1000 and quoted "It can FORCEFULLY reproduce 25hz, something not a lot of headphones are capable of" that got the basshead in me hooked.

Maybe that would be the next after i get my next mini tube amp purchased.. hmm

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,260 of 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! Especially when witnessing the spatial cueing capability of FX700, it does makes me curious to see how DX1000 fares, and i forgot was it Skylabs or who that reviewed the DX1000 and quoted "It can FORCEFULLY reproduce 25hz, something not a lot of headphones are capable of" that got the basshead in me hooked.

Maybe that would be the next after i get my next mini tube amp purchased.. hmm

I was about to PM a guy selling his DX1000 last night, but I couldn't bring myself to sink 550 euros into it, based on some of the impressions I read about it.

I was researching it on here and there are conflicting reports about the bass response in comparison to the D7000. The 25Hz on my D7000 and Pro900 is nothing to scoff at, but I'll always be curious until I hear the DX1000 too.

Anyway, this thread is about the MD so I'll try not to derail it! The MD can definitely reproduce 25Hz forcefully that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back