Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Oct 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #706 of 2,269

Quote:
you're not getting a good seal it seems, the highs are not harsh at all. Another thing could be source, an amp is pretty much needed to balance out the bass with it's all-round sound.

well, I suppose I invested in the wrong pair of headphones. I'd love an amp, but most of the music listening which calls for IEM's is done with either my phone, or laptop. Its a shame, really, these look really slick and are the LFX kicks butt when watching movies, or playing games. I'll keep them a little longer incase these break in for the better

BTW: I am using the funky supertips and went as big as my ears can take. I still get sound leaks; its not awful, I just expected better isolation from a closed IEM

Edit: hmm, could they could be fakes? I bought them from best buy, and they took a little over a week before they were available for pickup. I remember reading how fakes have a plastic gold back, and the monster symbol is not perfectly lined up on the butt of the ear-sets. Mine could be described as such (the grey body is cold when first picking them up, but the gold part doesnt feel cold. also, it doesnt have that metal "tink" sound when touching them against each other). The only thing that tells me they could be real is how the package came with the cd inside the box and had two bags labeled super-tips (even though one of them was full of the silica-comply's).

Edit2: also, did anyone notice the packaging looked rushed? the plastic carrier/box had some obvious touch up paintwork, and inside there were loose strands of thread. for a pair of $400 headphones, they definitely could have taken their time on them

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #707 of 2,269
Got pics of the discrepanices?  Shrill highs sounds nigh impossible w/ MDs.  Especially w/ Supertips which actually warm up the signature.  Let em burn 3-4 days and keep us posted.  You aren't using any EQ or sound effects like BBE right?  Also read the instructions on how to insert the tips.  I've rocked out to mine on long flights and never one complaint from a neighbor about leakage.  The FX700 is open backed fyi.  If you liked the TF10 V-shape you should like the FX700 by a long shot.

Also show a pic of the filter in the nozzle.  Haven't seen a fake do the filter right that we know of.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #708 of 2,269
Sorry about the crappy pics. Unlike a good amount of you here, I dont have a macro camera
smily_headphones1.gif

I used my phone. hopefully these pictures work for you

The first two pictures are of the right ear piece. The others showing the nozzle are the left. If you take a close enough look, you can see on the left piece that the grille has some imperfections(the mesh wasnt perfectly layed down, came with a small dent from what looks like the tool they use to stuff the grille into the nozzle). I really hope these arent knockoffs (bought them at best-buy, and they had to come in from a store/warehouse). If that's the case, finding a legit pair of MD's is going to require a lot more effor than I feel they are worth
confused_face.gif

PS: thank you for reviewing the pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: perhaps I should elaborate on the shrilly highs. What I meant to say was, while I dont hear intolerable amounts of sibilance, I find they are more prone to make that "thshhh" sound than my TF10's or hd555's. The highs sound a little metallic to me. For example, tracks that have rhythmatic clapping in the background do not sound natural; and have, what I feel, an over-emphasised "clack" to them (yes, more of a clack, than a poppy clap; if that makes any sense). the HD555's sound more warm and natural, while still retaining that crisp, pleasant "POP" that you get with snares and claps.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #709 of 2,269
Those look legit to me. I have the same imperfections on the grille.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #710 of 2,269
Looks pretty real.  The accessories look spot on.  My grills are the same but no denting and my rear logo is straight.  I have an older pair.  That is bad work on the box.  I suggest you take them back to Best Buy and exchange for another pair.  That box is unacceptable.  You should not be left holding the bag on a poorly made Monster product.  Return it so they know something is wrong w/ QC.  If the new pair still sounds bad to you after the first week get something else.  Give them a good week.  Weird about the highs though.  One of the strengths for me is the ability to tame bad recordings and expand your library.  They do great taming sibilance w/ The Eagles and The Darkness on mine.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #711 of 2,269
I have tried that route, and it did not work for me.  I think that too tips too large will cause leaks.  Perhaps the foam or silicone is creasing and causing an air leak.  I am not sure what it is, but it doesn't work for me.  I have experienced bright or harsh treble when the seal isn't perfect with tips that are too big and too small.  The interesting thing is that the bass still sounds nice and full even with a less than perfect seal.  In my experience, the treble definitely requires a perfect seal for the MDs to sound their best.  I use the foam supertips and meelec single flange depending on my preference of isolation or sound quality.

Quote:
BTW: I am using the funky supertips and went as big as my ears can take. I still get sound leaks; its not awful, I just expected better isolation from a closed IEM

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #712 of 2,269
The grill looks fine to me. Interesting about the plastic back though. I saw a YouTube video that stated that the fakes have a plastic gold back (you may of seen the same video). I honestly can't tell if mine is plastic or metal. When I click together the gray parts of the enclosures, I get a definite metal sound. Not so much with the gold back. Can anyone else confirm the sound and feel of clicking together the gold backs?

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #713 of 2,269

Quote:
Looks pretty real.  The accessories look spot on.  My grills are the same but no denting and my rear logo is straight.  I have an older pair.  That is bad work on the box.  I suggest you take them back to Best Buy and exchange for another pair.  That box is unacceptable.  You should not be left holding the bag on a poorly made Monster product.  Return it so they know something is wrong w/ QC.  If the new pair still sounds bad to you after the first week get something else.  Give them a good week.  Weird about the highs though.  One of the strengths for me is the ability to tame bad recordings and expand your library.  They do great taming sibilance w/ The Eagles and The Darkness on mine.

I think he meant the highs were harsh under louder volumes, Which i similarly encountered while my MDs are still newbie-fresh. Now that My New MDs has undergo around 30~40 hours of burn-in, i am still giving them the workout for around 15~24 hours more before i swap the FA-003 in to commence its rumored golden 100 hours of burn-in to the sound transformation of fame. I cant wait for these babies to burn-in finish, not to left out the fresh e-Q7.

While sibilant wise- So far my shallow ears heard none. And talk about sibilance, talk about Final Audio Heaven S lolx, I never really heard alot of IEMs before but they were certainly one of the most sibilant IEMs despite the good points of efficiency in volume.

Lastly, I second that the Miles Davis were really really forgiving of the low quality MP3 / WMA rips, Though My own Cd Collections were all ripped into FLAC via Exact CD Rip strictly, Most of my K-POP were in 320kbps, with a minority 5% library collection of the 64kbps ~ 128kbps ~ 192 kbps which are inherited from my good old casual listening days, I am surprised how MDs dished out excellent caveats and timbre even for a 64Kbps acoustic ---  Something i believe not much IEMs among the flagships would be equally capable of.

(P.S. I Like how you can turn Miles Davis Tributes from In-Ear Monitors to In-Ear Massagers when you play upbeat songs and switch to X-Bass on Cowon Players, When i just wanna massage my ears with the bass and not even trying to listen to musics i does that once in awhile xD)

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #714 of 2,269

Quote:
I have tried that route, and it did not work for me.  I think that too tips too large will cause leaks.  Perhaps the foam or silicone is creasing and causing an air leak.  I am not sure what it is, but it doesn't work for me.  I have experienced bright or harsh treble when the seal isn't perfect with tips that are too big and too small.  The interesting thing is that the bass still sounds nice and full even with a less than perfect seal.  In my experience, the treble definitely requires a perfect seal for the MDs to sound their best.  I use the foam supertips and meelec single flange depending on my preference of isolation or sound quality.

I not sure if its the same for you guys, But the supertips that came along with my MDs were namely Medium Size and a Small Size? I bought a seperate Small-Medium size super-tips and those things fit in real nice and isolates better than the stock supertips, LOL Did i see a 'tales of the 2 supertips' =S

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #715 of 2,269

Quote:

That, makes insanely good sense...
Taking your advice, I found out I am somewhere in between the smallest black supertips and the white ones(about 1-2 sizes smaller!). The sound definitely changed, still a little shrilly by comparison to the hd555's, but not as intrusive. I'm still thinking about exchanging them because of the build quality, but I may actually end up keeping these depending on how they loosen up after burn in.
My ears thank you bjb
smile_phones.gif

Oh, and everyone else too! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #718 of 2,269
The Headstage Arrow has received favorable reviews with the MD Tributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back