Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #648 of 2,269
Yes, do let them burn-in.  I really liked mine straight out of the box, but I think they are even better now.  I am not sure how much time I have on them, but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 hours.  A few days ago I noticed a change, and I think they are smoother now, the bass is a little tighter, and there may even be slightly more detail.  It isn't huge, but they are definitely different and for the better IMO.  I have never been a big believer of burn-in, since none of my other earphones did.  Those all had balanced armatures though.

I still need to try the Meelec tips you mentioned.  Right now I am using the foam supertips, since those seem to offer the best balance between fit, isolation, and sound quality.  The gel supertips always slide out slightly and break the seal.

Quote:
No rush.  Give em a gentle burn for a few days and get your tips sorted.  

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #649 of 2,269
Yeah, dynamic driver IEM's seem to exhibit much more burn in effects than BA. Just about every dynamic driver I've owned showed a fair amount of opening up over the first 24 hours especially. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #650 of 2,269
I'm listening to my MD for first time for about 2 hours straight now.  I'm using the foam super tip and playing straight out of my desktop pc, (my pc is better than most MP3 players by the way).  So far I'm very enjoying what I'm hearing.  The impact of bass (without burn in) isn't up to my full size cans, but none-the-less very good.  I'm especially enjoying the tones of MD.  Soft treble, generous but not overly loose bass, very good mid and some warmness.  So far the best tone I heard from an IEM. After playing with tips and listening to my regular music for about two hours, now I'm listening to the included CD, Kind of Blues.  Very good music I must say.  I used to like Miles Davis, but, by no mean, I was a fan.  I think I'm becoming a fan now
smile.gif
.  I'm not sure if these CD's were re-mastered, but very good recording quality for 1959 music.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #651 of 2,269
If anyone gets the chance, I would LOVE TO KNOW how a few artists and their songs sound on the MD.  

I'd really like a small review on Bireli Lagrene - Acoustic Moments
Stochelo Rosenbergs - For Sephora and Spain as seen on youtube ( hopefully you can get a real copy of the audio )

and finally some random Django songs

if anyone has the ability to do this pleaseeee let me know how it goes

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #654 of 2,269
The medium size super tips are nice, I also have bi flange meelec tips that work really well to.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #657 of 2,269
the hybrid foam tips are ok, but they take a bit of treble. When I used the MDs I liked the UE single flange silicones and Auveo tips the best.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #658 of 2,269
@moonsurf; you need to save up for a portable amp/dac  to use if you have a laptop PC. I have the Headamp Pico in gold (it comes in other cool colors too) which sounds as good as it looks. It is a DAC as well as an amp, so you will hear better sound from an external DAC than any internal sound card. I use my MD's at the library plugged into my Pico like I'm listening now (to Oscar Peterson's Night Train), and man, the bass is just awesome! 

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #659 of 2,269

Quote:
@moonsurf; you need to save up for a portable amp/dac  to use if you have a laptop PC. I have the Headamp Pico in gold (it comes in other cool colors too) which sounds as good as it looks. It is a DAC as well as an amp, so you will hear better sound from an external DAC than any internal sound card. I use my MD's at the library plugged into my Pico like I'm listening now (to Oscar Peterson's Night Train), and man, the bass is just awesome! 

Centrance DACport is getting a lot of love from some good ears.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #660 of 2,269
Thanks for recommendation for DAC's!  I was actually checking out both uDAC2 and forthcoming Headphonia Stick amp to use with MD.  Pico and Centrance DACport looks very nice, but a little too expensive for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back