Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Aug 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #631 of 2,269
Just call J&R and I bet they will sell them to you for the same price.  If not, I bet they will come very close, since I bought mine for close to that price when they were listed as $399.

Quote:
$369 now 
mad.gif

I have had mine for about two weeks now, and I really love them.  I have heard SE530's, ER4P's, IE8's, and own Custom 3's and Image X10's, and I like these better than all of them.  There is nothing that is perfect, but this is the closest I have got in an IEM.  I had strongly considered the SM3's, and the FX700's, but the poor isolation in the FX700's and the build quality in the SM3's really turned me off.  Plus all that talk about people needing their ears to adjust to the SM3's really had me concerned it was another head-fi fad.  I am glad I went the route I did, because the MD's are great and I can't believe there isn't a larger following.  Maybe people get the false impression that they are suited primarily for Jazz which is terribly incorrect.  I know that had crossed my mind before I spent more time reading about them.  Maybe it has to do with the Golds and Coppers being cheaper.  Who knows, but I think they are well worth the $300 or less people are getting these for.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #632 of 2,269
That's the good thing about J&R. You can always call them for a lower price.

I had them for a couple weeks a while back for an extended loan and they were nice. I'm not a fan of the cable but their housing is better than the Coppers/Golds imo. I remember really liking them but wasn't at the point where I had to go and buy them since they are overpriced and well I think every universal over $200 is overpriced as well :p They probably have one of the best bass I've heard and their midrange was quite nice although a bit forward.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #633 of 2,269
I got off the phone with J&R a few minutes ago and explained to them that I was planning on buying the miles davis for 269.99 and they matched the price.  I also asked to use the geico10 coupon, and was approved after the salesman asked his manager.  total price with shipping 259.99.  I probably could have gotten it cheaper yesterday when the price was officially 269.99, but hey still not bad.  I was planning on buying these anyway :).

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #634 of 2,269
In what way are these IEMs limited edition.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #635 of 2,269
I think the limited edition came with a book and a set of CDs.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #636 of 2,269
Aug 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #638 of 2,269
I believe they still come with all of the things that the first set came with.  My pair and a few others are no longer serialized, so that may be the only difference.  I got:
  1. The 2 CD "Kind of Blue" set
  2. One set of silicone tips
  3. One set of silicone super tips
  4. One set of foam super tips
  5. Two soft cases
  6. One hard clam shell case
  7. One revolver ear tip holder

I think that's it.  I am going off of memory, so I might have left something off.

The build quality on the earphones and accessories is really impressive.  Unfortunately, I think the weight of the earphone causes them to not be as comfortable as they could if they were lighter.  Some of the lighter headphones I have tried disappear in my ears better.  With that said, I will take the build quality, because they are still quite comfortable.  I also don't think they look gaudy in the ear, blue cable or not, and unlike the golds.  In fact, the blue cable is starting to grow on me.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #639 of 2,269

Quote:
I believe they still come with all of the things that the first set came with.  My pair and a few others are no longer serialized, so that may be the only difference.  I got:
  1. The 2 CD "Kind of Blue" set
  2. One set of silicone tips
  3. One set of silicone super tips
  4. One set of foam super tips
  5. Two soft cases
  6. One hard clam shell case
  7. One revolver ear tip holder

I think that's it.  I am going off of memory, so I might have left something off.

The build quality on the earphones and accessories is really impressive.  Unfortunately, I think the weight of the earphone causes them to not be as comfortable as they could if they were lighter.  Some of the lighter headphones I have tried disappear in my ears better.  With that said, I will take the build quality, because they are still quite comfortable.  I also don't think they look gaudy in the ear, blue cable or not, and unlike the golds.  In fact, the blue cable is starting to grow on me.

Try some earhooks and wear them over the ear if you feel they are too weighty for your ears.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #641 of 2,269

Quote:
Hmm I believe they should also include a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, I remember a user getting one for these

Actually I think the MDs have always lacked the adapter for some reason.  Interesting decision on Monster's part.  

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #643 of 2,269

Quote:
I remember of a user getting one..too lazy to double check, i believe it was in this thread.

I'm sure it would have been a packaging error from the factory lol.  I think when Monster started the first batches they used a dart board to figure out what accessories to include.  

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #645 of 2,269
Mines is coming tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back