Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Aug 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #607 of 2,269
How does one get the Ear Guides on the cable? Does it have a slit on the side which enables it to be pressed in? Also did you have to try alot of different eartips or did you get lucky early on? I'm using the Comply foams which finally feel secure, after trying about three types of silicone sleeves from Monster, Sennheiser and Radio Shack. The Sennheiser CX-(?) were the best but still started to come out after awhile.
I'd like silicone over the foam because I think the foam absorbs the highs rather than reflects them back to your ear canal, but maybe it's just my imagination, as I have been using the foams for a couple months now so just remembering how the silicones were like.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #609 of 2,269

Quote:
How does one get the Ear Guides on the cable? Does it have a slit on the side which enables it to be pressed in? Also did you have to try alot of different eartips or did you get lucky early on? I'm using the Comply foams which finally feel secure, after trying about three types of silicone sleeves from Monster, Sennheiser and Radio Shack. The Sennheiser CX-(?) were the best but still started to come out after awhile.
I'd like silicone over the foam because I think the foam absorbs the highs rather than reflects them back to your ear canal, but maybe it's just my imagination, as I have been using the foams for a couple months now so just remembering how the silicones were like.

Yes they have a slit in back of the guides.  I've never liked the sound of comply or Ety foams or any foam not a Monster Hybrid.

I used the gel tips for awhile when they were still shipping w/ missing hybrid tips.  Once I got the hybrid foams I went w/ them for the best sound, isolation, comfort compromise.  I noticed that the sound would kinda change each time I inserted them and as they settled over time.  It was a pain to get it consistent.  The ear guides were more for stabilizing the position in-ear and getting a consistent insertion each time rather than for microphonics.  It also keeps them from shifting around during listening.  Then I got the DDM's and noticed most of the time the MD's sounded overly warm compared to when they sounded their best.  Looking at the DDM tips I noticed the HUGE aperture.  Noticing the DDM nozzle had about the same diameter as the MDs the light bulb went off.  Putting the larger aperture tips on the MDs brought more air, clarity, treble and the annoying random overwarmness was gone.  The Biflanges also spaced the phones out better for my ears giving the music better air.  So far this is the best most consistent setup I have found for me.  I tried the new Meelec balanced tip but the silicone was a touch softer and bass was a tad looser.  I still keep some hybrid foam tips together if i need more isolation or feel the need to get crazy w/ the bass.    

Edit - I'm going to PM monster to ask them about the serial number situation.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #610 of 2,269

Quote:
I'm going to PM monster to ask them about the serial number situation.

Hopefully Monster decided to crank out another batch of these, and they aren't so "limited" anymore. That would be the best case scenario, IMO. If you purchased them new, did you get the music collection and book also? That is how they were sold originally.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #612 of 2,269
Ohh..I had no idea there was a serial number on the Y split area. I had them for like a month too on loan lol

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #615 of 2,269

Quote:

Cut the end of the foamies back to the inner support tube and your highs will come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back