Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,251 of 2,269
  how do the monster miles davis tributes compare to ie80's? 

I actually still have my MMDTs, though not with me right now so I'll have to do this by memory.  IE80s are generally better and therefore the MMDTs have gone to my wife.  IE80s have better extension for both bass and treble, but MMDTs have more treble by default.  Both have plenty of bass, though at max you actually can get MORE out of the IE80s.  Soundstage on the IE80s really blows away the MMDTs.  Then there are other advantages like the cable in terms of both durability and microphonics.  That said, the MMDTs are great headphones and at $135 or $150 I can't think of anything nearly as good. 

Oh, and of course I have to plug for my real favorites in this genre: the JVC FX850s.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,252 of 2,269
i think the mmdt's arent a good investment.
have them for a year now.
the first months shows sign of paint fading.
after a year, with rare use, the wires and some parts started to break by itself. the iem is kept in a small box with cottons on it inside.
the wires started to have cuts on itself, due to brittleness i think, its on its way right now to a friend who will recable it.
in time, i find the miles tributes to be bass monster, its too much now for my liking... its a surprise, because from the beginning i find the sound to be balance, sweet and great.... maybe the sound changes through time, and the bass is already too much for me.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #2,253 of 2,269
It makes me sad to see this thread dead.

I've been listening to my MDT with Meridian Explorer² powering it. Absolutely amazing combo. Visceral is the first word that comes to my mind. I love it.

Why did Monster have to discontinue the MDT? I consider this one of the best items they've ever produced... never to be repeated.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,254 of 2,269
ha.. bought my MMDT yeears ago. had them replaced once, damn good warranty.

got a fault again, this time with the wiring. monster still willing to replace, but their earphone lineup is *****.

I guess short of getting a new pair of something else, I guess I'll need to try and fix it.

Anybody with experience opening up the earbuds?

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,255 of 2,269
new remaster - 192 /24 MILAS DAVIS / KIND OF BLUE - all blues song - weird noise - particullary 9.30min to the end - right headphone - can you hear that as well or me / my headphones go crazy!? / akg 812 - akg 3003/

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,256 of 2,269
Resurrecting an ancient thread... The strain relief on one of mine just broke. Anyone know what Monster will do as far as warranty is concerne ? I'm not willing to trade them for the garbage they're selling right now.

I contacted them, will update when I hear back.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #2,257 of 2,269
Resurrecting an ancient thread... The strain relief on one of mine just broke. Anyone know what Monster will do as far as warranty is concerne ? I'm not willing to trade them for the garbage they're selling right now.

Please post back what they say I have a put that are on the verge of breaking so am curious what my options will be I have the receipt and all still.

Good luck!

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,258 of 2,269

I warranty swapped mine for Trumpets years ago. Monster is barely even still a company at this point and their headphone offerings are a shell of what they were in their Beats days. Kinda sad really. The Tributes were and are amazing but the build on them was garbage. The Trumpets are definitely better in that regard.

So long as it’s just the strain relief I say keep using those dudes. There’s nothing Monster makes nowadays that will even come close to comparing.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,259 of 2,269
I'm a little late to the game here but I have a set on the way in a sealed box. Having read this thread exhaustively, I know they will sound amazing, but self destruct very quickly in every way.

Question: What are the chances of getting these re-shelled with a detachable cord? Who does it? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,260 of 2,269
Mine brand new lasted 5 yrs and I've been careful. And like others said I have lifetime replacement but they dont make a single headphone worth piss now. So it's pointless. Me my cord has issues in couple places, but left ear piece now has VERY low volume now out of no where.

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #2,261 of 2,269
I'm a little late to the game here but I have a set on the way in a sealed box. Having read this thread exhaustively, I know they will sound amazing, but self destruct very quickly in every way.

Question: What are the chances of getting these re-shelled with a detachable cord? Who does it? Thanks.
I think that would be a worthwhile investment if you could have it done for less than you paid for them. How much did you pay for them, if you don't mind?

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #2,263 of 2,269
$130.00 on Ebay from Canada. They are still a couple days out. Re-shelling may be a couple hundies I've read. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That's a great deal. There were some morons asking like 1000USD for Trumpets months ago. Not that they actually got that for them but that's what they were asking.

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,265 of 2,269
The idiot is still on there trying to get $900 now for trumpets, they aren't even that good. For that you could get IE 800 and even save few hundred.
I swear LMAO. They're a great IEM but even the OG MSRP of $400 was pushing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back