Monster Miles Davis and Coppers - two bad right channels
Mar 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had a run of bad luck lately. I first picked up the Miles Davis Tributes, and was totally enamored with their sound, and got to enjoy about a week's worth of listening. Then one night I was doing a listening session with a good friend, and I started noticing the right earpiece sounding much quieter. I fiddled with the cable at the strain, pulled the sleeve off the nozzle, made sure nothing was blocking it up, and replaced the tip. Something seemed to have fixed it. I got to listen normally the rest of the night, and then most of the next day at work. Unfortunately later that day I noticed the volume back down on the right side. No fiddling has fixed it this time and sadly I've had to put in for a replacement from Monster Cable.

Now, this is where things get more disconcerting. In the meantime I picked up the Coppers (from a different retailer), and had been burning them in and listening from time to time. In my last couple sessions, I thought I'm hearing a slight drop in volume on the right earpiece on that set too! Well I kept burning them in, and listening from time to time, and now it is definitely not subtle, but significant. Switching up the L & R to the wrong ears really shows how bad it is. I also got out my IE8's to compare with, and they sound perfectly volume balanced. So the Coppers are getting returned as well. I won't try another set though. I just hope this is not indicative of Monster's quality control with this production batch. I REALLY like the sound of the MD's and will be very disappointed if I get another bad set.

Have any other Monster Turbine Pro line/ Miles Davis owners had any of the same issues?

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 38
Sorry to hear that.

I've been playing around w/ the Golds this week which I've been enjoying despite not considering myself a Basshead. Was gonna return them eventually and try out some Coppers and/or MD's depending on what I can find. I'll try to blow out a driver for ya.
tongue_smile.gif

Out of curiousity, do you sleep w/ your headphones on? Not a comfortable prospect w/ Monsters I know, just curious.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 38
Can't speak to the products you mentioned, but my Monster Tours fell apart fairly quickly. Not sure I'll get another Monster product after taking a chance on the Tours.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 38
Yes, I too havent had the best experience w/ the build quality of Monster iems. Very flaky durability imho.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a run of bad luck lately. I first picked up the Miles Davis Tributes, and was totally enamored with their sound, and got to enjoy about a week's worth of listening. Then one night I was doing a listening session with a good friend, and I started noticing the right earpiece sounding much quieter. I fiddled with the cable at the strain, pulled the sleeve off the nozzle, made sure nothing was blocking it up, and replaced the tip. Something seemed to have fixed it. I got to listen normally the rest of the night, and then most of the next day at work. Unfortunately later that day I noticed the volume back down on the right side. No fiddling has fixed it this time and sadly I've had to put in for a replacement from Monster Cable.

Now, this is where things get more disconcerting. In the meantime I picked up the Coppers (from a different retailer), and had been burning them in and listening from time to time. In my last couple sessions, I thought I'm hearing a slight drop in volume on the right earpiece on that set too! Well I kept burning them in, and listening from time to time, and now it is definitely not subtle, but significant. Switching up the L & R to the wrong ears really shows how bad it is. I also got out my IE8's to compare with, and they sound perfectly volume balanced. So the Coppers are getting returned as well. I won't try another set though. I just hope this is not indicative of Monster's quality control with this production batch. I REALLY like the sound of the MD's and will be very disappointed if I get another bad set.

Have any other Monster Turbine Pro line/ Miles Davis owners had any of the same issues?

Thoughts?

@ cn11 i also had this problem with my coppers for the first 2-3 days i used them, i realised that that these phones are very sensitive to the amount of power these thing are recieving, what i mean by that is that when the battery on either my ipod or my portable amp is within its last hour or so the sound in the right ear piece gets noticably lower ,they can play like this for around a hour and a half with left ear at normal sound level and right ear much lower, but as soon as i replace the batterys in the amp, or switch to another ipod the problem is solved untill the batterys are down to there last hour or so again, and ive been using the coppers exclusivly for about eight days now so i am satifyed that they are not faulty, i belive its just that they are very senstive to the amount of power there receiving and a small drop in in power causes this.

hope this helps
popcorn.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 38
^ that is quite odd. never heard of an iem to behave like that before.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear that.

I've been playing around w/ the Golds this week which I've been enjoying despite not considering myself a Basshead. Was gonna return them eventually and try out some Coppers and/or MD's depending on what I can find. I'll try to blow out a driver for ya.
tongue_smile.gif

Out of curiousity, do you sleep w/ your headphones on? Not a comfortable prospect w/ Monsters I know, just curious.

No, don't sleep at all with them in. They've only been used while sitting at my desk, or on my sofa. And they've had the utmost care in handling, being stored in thickly padded case, with the cables very loosely wrapped around my hand and then lightly set in the case.

It's very odd to me, and speaks to a possible QC issue on Monster's part.

I had a pair of standard Turbines a while back, and they never exhibited any of these issues!

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ that is quite odd. never heard of an iem to behave like that before.

Yes it is odd isnt it ,although i must admit in the last 2 days its only happening in the last 10 mins of battery power so maybe as the've burnt in they become less sensitive to the power they recieve
confused_face_2.gif
,like i said though ,as soon as i change batterys there fine.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 38
lucozade-
Well I can attest to the fact that that is not the culprit for my two instances. The MD's and Coppers sound this way whether I'm running them out of my iPhone with low battery, Sony X with good battery, or even the Arrow amp fully charged (should be NO shortage of power there!).

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucozade-
Well I can attest to the fact that that is not the culprit for my two instances. The MD's and Coppers sound this way whether I'm running them out of my iPhone with low battery, Sony X with good battery, or even the Arrow amp fully charged (should be NO shortage of power there!).

Im sorry i was'nt able to help,
confused.gif

Sounds like you just been very unlucky than,with both sets doing the same thing.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd run an ohm meter across your sources and see if one has some DC leaking out.

X2, I know my Starving Student is known to fry cheap DACs if you aren't careful, so that's definitely a possibility.
Other than that, maybe I will have a reason to keep my W2s after my Coppers arrive. I'm loving how the W2 sits flush in my ear and I absolutely love that Westone braided cord. Not to mention the stellar build quality. I've gotten used to sleeping with a hand under the side of my head (I sleep on my side) so that there is no pressure on IEMs that stick out, and it's certainly different not having to do that, and waking up with them still in your ear because they haven't fallen out.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd run an ohm meter across your sources and see if one has some DC leaking out.

Hmmmm, interesting thought. But wouldn't that be affecting any phone I listen with on those sources? My IE8's seem fine (sure hope it doesn't happen to them too!).....

The only things they've both been played through are my Sony X with the Headstage Arrow amp.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 38
Sorry you have had that problem Chris. No problem at of the sort with my Copper (knock on wood), and my MDs have yet to arrive. I do the no that the Copper is very sensitive to ear placement (determining if you get a wide soundstage, short one or no sound). That's been my only experience with the Copper, oh, and it being very sensitive to tips used. Well one more reason not to keep the Copper since it wasn't working out for you anyway. Best of luck with your next pair of MDs buddy.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 38
Are you totally sure its not internally caked with wax that you cant see because its under the screen?
I ask only because it is weird to have 2 IEMs do the exact same thing in such a short period of time. Its not impossible, but just strange, unless its that DC problem that was mentioned.

Ive only had my Monster Golds for a week now, but i been listening to it with different amps and players and comparing to other IEMs and phones that i have here, and so far no problems. I know Golds and Coppers have a ONE TIME Lifetime Replacement if they fail, i dont know about the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back