Monster Gratitude live music IEMs
Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #16 of 148

Quote:
The Diesels and the diamond tears are both $280 retail. 
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6117
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6544

Somethings telling me that the price for these headphones are a bit off. They will probably drop the price in places like Amazon...

The diamond tears were designed by K-Pop producer JYP. And as many know.. Korean K-pop fashion is well.... different...

Both seem more like a fashion accessory then a audio equipment..

Thanks for the prices! They aren't as expensive as I thought they were going to be (~$350), so I guess that's good.

Does anyone know what audio engineers are working on Monster's headphone line? Are they the same people that worked in conjunction with Dre? 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 148
An excerpt from the very first Amazon review:

[size=small]As best I can tell, these headphones greatly enhance voice and the mid-range at the expense of bass response. I also played some collegiate a cappella. Suddenly I was transported back to the college quad standing under an arch listening to vocal harmonies. The voices were sharper and as advertised, sounded "live".[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Country music didn't turn out as well. I decided to test a vocal-heavy artist by listening to some Taylor Swift, and I found her voice harsh and frankly unpleasant (whereas normally I enjoy her music). It seems that there is a bit too much treble response here.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]My conclusion for sound quality is that the advertising is true - they really did tune these for a live sound, and perhaps one optimized for certain types of music. I tried a few other pieces and it seems that not only are these tuned for vocals, but only male vocals as female vocals sound harsh. I would say they are quite unique headphones and cool for some sounds, but not good all-around.[/size]

Hmm... although I've found no specifications of the Gratitude listed online, the above description seems to match the live preset I've encountered in the past, with media players such as VLC, where the bass is rolled off, the midrange is boosted, and the highs also boosted to a much lesser extent, with peaks here or there, I'm sure. Hence, I presume they sound great, where midrange vocals are concerned for instance, but not so great otherwise. jm2c, of course. In any case, I'll pass...

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 148
Hm...  What do we have here? 

Bigger size here (still web-sized though): https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_qQYKRJxdEQ/TyMIHTLYUuI/AAAAAAAACi8/fSrdUZwXi44/s640/Teaser.jpg

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 148
Taken straight from Monsters page about the "Gratitude
"These are really incredible! You hear a lot of detail with these headphones…amazing separation and articulation. I clearly hear details in the music that I don't with other earbuds. It's impressive."

Philip Bailey confirmed for casual.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 148

Quote:
Taken straight from Monsters page about the "Gratitude
"These are really incredible! You hear a lot of detail with these headphones…amazing separation and articulation. I clearly hear details in the music that I don't with other earbuds. It's impressive."

Philip Bailey confirmed for casual.

I do have to agree with that with only my initial impressions of them.  They are burning as I listen to them.  I was pleasantly surprised to see these didn't have a bass emphasis.  The midrange is as balanced as the low end.  Highs aren't rolled off, but extremely crunchy right now, a little too crunchy.  Low end does have a mid-bass focus though over deep bass (deep bass is there, just not focused as much as I'd like).

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 148
I must be one of the few people that thinks all headphones look a little silly worn out in public.  There's no such thing as a stylish headphone.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 148

Quote:
I must be one of the few people that thinks all headphones look a little silly worn out in public.  There's no such thing as a stylish headphone.

LOL...  Stylish is really a subjective term.  Eye-catching may not though.  However, I don't know whether or not these are "eye-catching" as I haven't worn them in public yet.  I know the Westone 4Rs were eye-catching due to their size and the boldly written 4R on each earpiece.  Phonaks weren't as eye-catching. I do have a feeling these will be eye-catching though.

Listening to these IEMs really makes me think that it was Monster that left Beats instead of Beats leaving Monster.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #25 of 148
Apparently Steve Guttenberg likes them... but I've learned to take his comments with a grain of salt when it comes to in-ears... I can believe his comments about speakers, amps, and other big things, but he has written a lot of questionable things when it comes to the portable segment.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #26 of 148
Apparently Steve Guttenberg likes them... but I've learned to take his comments with a grain of salt when it comes to in-ears... I can believe his comments about speakers, amps, and other big things, but he has written a lot of questionable things when it comes to the portable segment.

I actually like them a lot too. They have a nice balance, with the bass boosted just a tad bit (not enough to call theme bass heavy for me). Mids are really solid though.

I do want to add that I will be writing a review o nthese. I will post here when finished.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #29 of 148
Quote:
I actually like them a lot too. They have a nice balance, with the bass boosted just a tad bit (not enough to call theme bass heavy for me). Mids are really solid though.
I do want to add that I will be writing a review o nthese. I will post here when finished.

I got to hear them last week; they are very well balanced --- and probably one of the least bass-heavy Monsters I've heard! I'd say it's as close to neutral in tonality as Monster will ever get (as of now).

I'm a little disappointed with the materials they used, though. It's noticeably plasticky, though they have a collection of really unique gel Supertips shaped just for the Gratitudes (and color-matched too!)

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 148

Quote:
Anyone else think it's strange how many new ones are available in the Amazon user section from third party sellers (Mostly located in California) ?  Did Monster have a give away on these?

They gave away a ton of these phones on the Ellen show awhile back when EWaF were on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back