Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #6,496 of 8,051
Wonder what they did differently with the closed version other than slap some cups on it. Surely they changed something with the dampening layout? Just wondering if should design a cup and slap it on my M1060... LOL
I would hope they added some dampening to the cups and maybe re-tuned the drivers considering the amount of polarizing impressions that were out there for the openbacks.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #6,498 of 8,051
M1060C looks like a really crappy LCD-XC... I wouldn't buy it but If I did, I would want to swap the metal grill on my 1060 with the wooden cups on the 1060C and visa versa. Wood on wood and metal on metal. hahaha. On a side note, I think the most interesting closed headphones for me for 2018 might be the HD820.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #6,499 of 8,051
I kinda wish they revised the M1060 open backs to have metal ring options since I still don't know if I trust the wood rings on my M1060. And some more tuning.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #6,501 of 8,051
Is there truly a reason to bother with M1060s when Senheiser HD650s a great unmodded?

Yes, if you like the different sound signature of the M1060. I love my HD 650 but I’m still keen to get a M1060 to experience a different flavor, but I may now decide to instead wait for the closed variant, the forthcoming M1060C.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #6,502 of 8,051
Is there truly a reason to bother with M1060s when Senheiser HD650s a great unmodded?

Two distinct listening experiences to my ears. The planar vs dynamic sound feels different.

Edit: also the 1060s don’t need as much amp.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6,503 of 8,051

M1060 is a good modding platform and is great for movie listening. I do like the sound presentation of the HD6XX better for music though...I have a magnetic planar in my collection more for a representation of the technology than a phone I actually like to listen to (except for movies...it's my goto movie phone). Dynamics and electrostatics are my preference. TH-X00PH FO LYFE!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6,504 of 8,051

For sure! It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #6,507 of 8,051
Agree with the others its a different sound, dynamic vs planar

Two distinct listening experiences to my ears. The planar vs dynamic sound feels different.
Edit: also the 1060s don’t need as much amp.
Agree, the M1060 didn't seem to scale much if any

No Sennheiser veil for one, also subbass and soundstage
There is no "veil" if you properly amp the HD650, to me the M1060 was the one with the "veil" and had a boring lifeless sound IMO which shows how we all hear differently.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #6,508 of 8,051
Agree with the others its a different sound, dynamic vs planar

Agree, the M1060 didn't seem to scale much if any

There is no "veil" if you properly amp the HD650, to me the M1060 was the one with the "veil" and had a boring lifeless sound IMO which shows how we all hear differently.
So are you saying the HD650's treble is neutral? because if so, then that means the HD600 is bright, which is obviously not the case.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #6,509 of 8,051
So are you saying the HD650's treble is neutral? because if so, then that means the HD600 is bright, which is obviously not the case.

I didn't say the HD650 is treble neutral but its not "veiled" either, it has a slight roll off in the highs which is incorrectly called a "veil". The HD600 is on the brighter side to me since it has a small peak that bothered me at times and is one of the reasons I sold it. The interesting part is headphones like the HD700, most Grado and many Beyer headphones are considered brighter than the HD600 but because they have treble peaks/spikes that are higher up in frequency they don't bother me.

The M1060 is what I'd consider "veiled" since to me it sounds like I'm listening with a few layers of material between me and the driver.

This is why I say that we all hear differently, have different experiences, different gear, different preferences and I also I think there are many who read what others say without hearing a headphone and just assume that is how it will sound to them or just assume what a headphone will sound like based on graphs without trusting their ears.

FWIW I like and have many different headphones, I love them due to their differences and how they each present music in its own unique way but there are some headphones like the M1060 that don't make my foot tap or get my head bobbin' due to one reason or another and then there are those like the HD600 which had some issues for me. Another thing I've noticed is that my taste in music/sound has changed over the past few years and I've started to sell or trade a few that don't get much use: SR009 (traded), HD800 (sold), Ypsilon G1 custom build (sold), HD600 (sold), SHP9500 (gave away), M50s (gave away), HD598 (gave away) and a few others.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #6,510 of 8,051
I have to agree with @DavidA that the m1060 is a bit more veiled than the HD650. That said, I do really enjoy the m1060 quite a bit.
I think the issue here might be the lack of fully understanding the definition of words used to describe the sound. It took me a while to figure it out too as I realized later that many used the words incorrectly which confused me.
Sennheiser has always had that roll off in the highs (with most products) as it tends to be their signature sound. It's not my favorite but they do it so well that I just can't say no, which is why 1/3 of my headphone inventory has now become Sennheiser..
I don't know if I can say we all hear differently but rather we all have our own preferences which results in likes or dislikes of products. And of course as we start to get older, we begin to lose our hearing but I don't consider that hearing differently because at certain frequencies, you just can't hear anymore.
Also, my other 2 cents: I'm really getting annoyed with the word neutral since that also doesn't have a standard definition (at least that I know of). Some refer to neutral as being flat, some refer to it as it being close to the harman response curve, and some compare with specific models of headphones because someone else claimed it as neutral. I for one previously referred to it as anything that is flat but flat also sound super boring. Now, I just don't use the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back