Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 24, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #5,371 of 8,051
Redesigned the grill with a more robust structure that I tried to line up with the magnetic bars.
sYROt2A.png

PEjmwc3.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpvk9ssd95fgmgk/M1060-Grill-V2.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #5,372 of 8,051
For the mod, is there a specific felt pad that is recommended? I ordered some last night from amazon. I just got whatever pushed me my total to qualify for the next day delivery.

Ah man you should have taken me up on the offer a couple weeks ago to send my extra felt to whoever wants it. I have a few more sets ready to be snail mailed out to anyone that is interested. It is the cheap stuff at Michaels so I'd prefer to send it to people that don't live anywhere near a Michaels.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #5,373 of 8,051
T50 modded is also awesome for metal, also keep in mind, lamb of God tracks listed have a TON of distortion on the production, and dont really ever sound great. Love reclamation but it was not produced well tp my ears. I don't like how they were done at all. Meshuggah clockwork album is done pretty well, and opeth sorceress sounds phenomenal on just about anything! I would suggest if you really don't like the 1060 looking at the hifiman he4, if you can find one and have an amp capable of driving them. I havnt heard the 1060 YET, but from this entire thread the sound sig may not be what you're looking for just for those genres. Planar sound is also something you have to get used to. I do have a ticket started w monoprice to see if they'll let me just buy the drivers, doubt it. If not I'll probably buy them on sale and rip them apart to try a semi closed mod based on everything I've read on their sound signature. Not trying to detour you from the 1060 at all, just thought I'd let you know the he4 sounds like it would be what you're looking for.
I do love the tone of reclamation, along with a few low drum hits I notice some cans don't emphasize very well. Recording quality aside, it's one of my goto tests :)

I use DT 770's at work and despite the bass being noticeably slower on them compared to the M1060's, they just do metal so god damn wel to my ears.

Aug 24, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #5,374 of 8,051
After about 100+ hrs with the fuzzor mod and stock pad i am happy to say, there is no more 5k ringing and the harshness in the highs is gone too. It does lose some lows but I increased them via EQ. Very happy. I was originally looking to the leather-free pad, now there is really no need. The stock pad is so comfortable i wish monopiece would sell them, would love them on my SHP9500 too.

Here is my PEACE
eEC9ULo.jpg)
eEC9ULo.jpg)
eEC9ULom.jpg

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #5,378 of 8,051
Yea. I noticed a white-ish spec on my headphones. Thinking it was just dust, i tried to rub it off with my finger and this happened.

k56nLYt.jpg

Seems like speck of something got trapped under the wood finish. Yay me, I submitted another RMA request. :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #5,381 of 8,051
@NTK1 , if the finish is an oil type you can fix the blemish quite easily with a Danish oil finish or even Shellac type finish. I've used the Danish oil finish to redo my RS2e, some wood flooring and a friends LCD-3

I was thinking but it seems there is a small speck under the finish. Since it's still under warranty I'll just exchange them again. Ground shipping time is only a day both ways.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,384 of 8,051
One more fazor design. This is for the ear side of the driver since I feel like the additional height wouldn't allow the pads to stick properly. I may need to make adjustments later for the little bumps on the driver.
Edit: Added an internal ridge to the underside to allow it to work as a pad adapter well.
Edit 2: Added notch for the peg on the driver. Flipped part for better stability while printing.
1753a842f6.jpg

d5853d137a.jpg

f9fbeb8823.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2501212

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #5,385 of 8,051
Anyone else having driver matching issues with the latest version of the m1060?

I've been trying to figure out why these headphones sound so off to me for a few months now. I finally got the urge to trying some frequency response tests to see if I could pin point the issue and found http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php to have what I needed. I did the "Driver Matching" test and found that there was some a weird added sound in the mid frequencies on the right driver only as well as some slight movement from side to side with the high frequencies. I've tried reversing the connections to the left and right speaker and got the same result. I've also tried multiple sources ( Schiit Modi2/Magni2 and HRT Microstreamer) and have gotten the same result. I've also tried the test with different headphones (HE-400, DN-1000, LZ-A4, M40x) and found that they perform as they should. I've already gotten 1 replacement set and I'm wondering if I should send they back for another. Both sets of m1060s I've tried have had the same issue, though the first set had the weird added sound in a slightly different place in the frequency sweep from what I remember. With the newer set I did the test before and after about 30hrs of burn-in and found them to be responding the same way.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back