Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 23, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5,326 of 8,051
IMO if you buy this headphone you have to be willing to mod it. Maybe you'll like it stock, which is okay, but you at least should be prepared to mod if necessary. Luckily, the mods are very easy. But you should factor in the cost of the replacement pads. "I just can't be bothered to mod this thing" is totally the wrong attitude to take toward these headphones. People should realize that before buying.
I agree with that. After reading about them for a good while, I decided to go with the V2 and was prepared to do the pads, paper towel and fuzzor mods when I got them. I ended up loving them stock and didn't mod them a bit, but I was prepared to from the start.
While I'm a modder/tinkerer at heart I can also understand those that don't have the confidence, time, tools or skills to take on the challenge of mods. An example would be my friend who bought the M1060 that I got to listen to, for her its a lack of tools and confidence to open up the M1060 so she asked me for help.
Agree that its a rather poor attitude to have since listening to music to me is for enjoyment and I would think one would spend the time to get that enjoyment but we all have different priorities in life, c'est la vie.

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #5,327 of 8,051
Hi guys!

I have been checking headphones the last few days, opened a thread, asked on one specific for metal... And now I've come across these headphones and I have two doubts about them:
  1. M560 can be closed... If you close them, do they actually feel genuinely close? You actually don't hear the people and your music doesn't leak to them?
  2. I searched the thread but only found a few comments that barely grasped it (one positive, one negative): Are these headphones good for metal (both 560 an 1060)? I would care the most for them to sound good with Progressive, Death, Thrash, Power, Black and then it would desirable, though not as important, that they are good with Heavy and Symphonic. Other styles I don't even care about, lol.
Thanks in advance!
No one? On either? :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #5,328 of 8,051
Hi guys!

I have been checking headphones the last few days, opened a thread, asked on one specific for metal... And now I've come across these headphones and I have two doubts about them:
  1. M560 can be closed... If you close them, do they actually feel genuinely close? You actually don't hear the people and your music doesn't leak to them?
  2. I searched the thread but only found a few comments that barely grasped it (one positive, one negative): Are these headphones good for metal (both 560 an 1060)? I would care the most for them to sound good with Progressive, Death, Thrash, Power, Black and then it would desirable, though not as important, that they are good with Heavy and Symphonic. Other styles I don't even care about, lol.
Thanks in advance!
I'm so far not really enjoying them much for metal. It's the one genre that has let me down, but also happens to be my genre of choice.

To my untrained ears the recessed highs and strong mids leave heavy guitars sounding very harsh but without that crisp bite on cymbals. For example, Lamb of God's Sturm und Drang sounds particularly thin. I also tried a few other tracks, the heavy tone was much the same for all of the following: Lamb of God - Reclamation, Babymetal - The One, Meshuggah - Clockworks, Allegaeon - Gray Matter Mechanics, Mick Gordon - Rip & Tear/BFG Division (Doom 2016 soundtrack), Slipknot - The Negative One.

On the flip side, I tended to really enjoy a lot of softer, subdued tracks with these. Stuff like modern Opeth (particularly Sorceress) sound phenomenal and wonderfully detailed. Orchestral tracks (Witcher 3/Bloodborne soundtracks) also sound awesome.

I really only get turned off by the sound of heavy tracks with these cans. I'm guessing this is more than anything down to my personal taste in sound signature. I now realize I do really like a bit of sparkle up top even if the bass can give you a nice kick in the gut.

While I'm a modder/tinkerer at heart I can also understand those that don't have the confidence, time, tools or skills to take on the challenge of mods. An example would be my friend who bought the M1060 that I got to listen to, for her its a lack of tools and confidence to open up the M1060 so she asked me for help.
Agree that its a rather poor attitude to have since listening to music to me is for enjoyment and I would think one would spend the time to get that enjoyment but we all have different priorities in life, c'est la vie.
For me, I'm not deterred by the actual process of modding, but by the uncertainty of whether or not those modifications would resolve my personal issues with the sound. If my ability to refund the cans was void due to the mods and the sound isn't fixed, I'd be pretty sad.

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5,329 of 8,051
I'm so far not really enjoying them much for metal. It's the one genre that has let me down, but also happens to be my genre of choice.

To my untrained ears the recessed highs and strong mids leave heavy guitars sounding very harsh but without that crisp bite on cymbals. For example, Lamb of God's Sturm und Drang sounds particularly thin. I also tried a few other tracks, the heavy tone was much the same for all of the following: Lamb of God - Reclamation, Babymetal - The One, Meshuggah - Clockworks, Allegaeon - Gray Matter Mechanics, Mick Gordon - Rip & Tear/BFG Division (Doom 2016 soundtrack), Slipknot - The Negative One.

On the flip side, I tended to really enjoy a lot of softer, subdued tracks with these. Stuff like modern Opeth (particularly Sorceress) sound phenomenal and wonderfully detailed. Orchestral tracks (Witcher 3/Bloodborne soundtracks) also sound awesome.

I really only get turned off by the sound of heavy tracks with these cans. I'm guessing this is more than anything down to my personal taste in sound signature. I now realize I do really like a bit of sparkle up top even if the bass can give you a nice kick in the gut.
Damn! Out of all the albums you mentioned, I think I only listened to Meshuggah's and Opeth's, though I do know most of the rest. I'm struggling to find appropiate (closed) headphones for heavier genres under 350 euros... I tried some, such as AKG K550 and they really sound nice with Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Haken, Pain Of Salvation... But very plain or thin as you said when I go into early Opeth, Dark Tranquillity or Emperor.

Btw, which ones are you talking about? 1060 or 560? I'm guessing 560 since you didn't mention anything about closing them.

Oh well, thank you very much for your feedback anyway!

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #5,330 of 8,051
I just got the M1060 and after listening them for a short while, its main problem became immediately apparent. The main problem with the stock M1060 is that the stock pads are too thick. These large, plush pillows push your ear too far from the drivers and as a consequence create too large of a "room" in each ear that allows for all sorts of sonic reverberating madness.

You can easily test this by pushing the M1060's closer to your ear. Be sure to not to block the grills with your palms, however; simply push them using your finger tips holding the outer edges of the cup. As you compress the cups closer to your ear with music playing, you should quite easily hear how separation increases and midrange clears up. My pair sounds best when my ears are actually touching the inner driver protector.

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #5,331 of 8,051
For heavier genres I'd take a modded Fostex TH-X00 over a modded M1060...should be able to find a used one near what you are looking at. The mod would be the Lawton Tuneup kit driver dampening, because stock just won't cut it. I don't listen to much heavy stuff, but when I do it's definitely with my TH-X00 PH over the M1060.

The heavy I do listen to is more along the lines of LIQ or Utsu-P songs like these:

LIQ

Utsu-P

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #5,332 of 8,051
I just got the M1060 and after listening them for a short while, its main problem became immediately apparent. The main problem with the stock M1060 is that the stock pads are too thick. These large, plush pillows push your ear too far from the drivers and as a consequence create too large of a "room" in each ear that allows for all sorts of sonic reverberating madness.

You can easily test this by pushing the M1060's closer to your ear. Be sure to not to block the grills with your palms, however; simply push them using your finger tips holding the outer edges of the cup. As you compress the cups closer to your ear with music playing, you should quite easily hear how separation increases and midrange clears up. My pair sounds best when my ears are actually touching the inner driver protector.
Hence the reason I suggested using the Audeze Vegan pads. Although they are a similar depth, slightly less, the microfiber material absorbs the reverberant frequencies much better. The Audeze Lamskin pads seem to be what you want as they place your ears closer to the driver. I would recommend the "Fazzor" felt mod though.

Aug 23, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #5,333 of 8,051
Hence the reason I suggested using the Audeze Vegan pads. Although they are a similar depth, slightly less, the microfiber material absorbs the reverberant frequencies much better. The Audeze Lamskin pads seem to be what you want as they place your ears closer to the driver. I would recommend the "Fazzor" felt mod though.

Yes I have the felt ready and am waiting for the Audeze Vegans in the mail. In the meantime, the attached EQ makes the stock sound... astonishingly good.

Mf1GYB8.png

UPDATE: After lots of music and frequency ear checks, my finalized EQ for the stock M1060:

yXUlMJI.png

The sound is so clean now!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #5,334 of 8,051
If that sounds good to you than great! One thing I would suggest is drop the preamplifying level to -10dB to compensate for the boosted low frequencies to avoid clipping.

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5,335 of 8,051
If that sounds good to you than great! One thing I would suggest is drop the preamplifying level to -10dB to compensate for the boosted low frequencies to avoid clipping.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice! Done.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #5,336 of 8,051
IMO if you buy this headphone you have to be willing to mod it. Maybe you'll like it stock, which is okay, but you at least should be prepared to mod if necessary. Luckily, the mods are very easy. But you should factor in the cost of the replacement pads. "I just can't be bothered to mod this thing" is totally the wrong attitude to take toward these headphones. People should realize that before buying.

Well maybe Monoprice need to update their marketing to indicate "You have to be willing to spend more money and time to mod this headphone as it may have ringing in the 5kHz region."

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #5,337 of 8,051
Yes I have the felt ready and am waiting for the Audeze Vegans in the mail. In the meantime, the attached EQ makes the stock sound... astonishingly good.

The sound is so clean now!

So I installed that equalizer after seeing your post and what a difference it makes!! The image attached is the settings I have it at now, Christ this is amazing! I may reduce the bass as my m1060's are rumbling so much I'm afraid they'll come apart lol. I have mine paired with an Aune X1s and the vegan pads. The sound is on another level now, the highs aren't harsh anymore and the sound is much meatier as well while remaining clean, love it!

m1060.png

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #5,338 of 8,051
Well maybe Monoprice need to update their marketing to indicate "You have to be willing to spend more money and time to mod this headphone as it may have ringing in the 5kHz region."
How do you feel about headphones that the manufacturer says you need to burn them in for 150 hours before they will sound as intended? Granted there is no money involved but it means you will still have to spend some time with them before you really know what they will sound like. I'm curious to the why of "I can't be bothered" statement.

@junki , @johanchandy while I don't use EQ due to logistical reasons I look at the changes both of you do with EQ and can't help but think a different headphone (bass heavy) might suit you better since that is where most of your EQ is being focused.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #5,339 of 8,051
@junki , @johanchandy while I don't use EQ due to logistical reasons I look at the changes both of you do with EQ and can't help but think a different headphone (bass heavy) might suit you better since that is where most of your EQ is being focused.

I do love my sub-bass. These planars respond to EQ well given their very low distortion. But, yes I also rock a RBH HP-2 and an E-MU Teak. My thoughts on the RBH HP-2.

Since my Vegans are still in the mail (international shipping), I decided to put my felt to use and just did this:

cuOtCfn.jpg

Uhm, I think this fixed the sound for me. When I push the pads closer to my ears, I literally hear no change in sound besides everything getting a little closer and louder. Before, I could clearly hear the separation and midrange clarity coming into focus. It was a very obvious transition as I compressed the cups...

Now, these sound like a million bucks. Airy, clear, natural. Wow.

UPDATE:

I cannot BELIEVE how amazing these sound now. OMG. The midrange clarity, and this airiness, and the right amount bass, OH. My. GOD. I'm so thrilled.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #5,340 of 8,051
How do you feel about headphones that the manufacturer says you need to burn them in for 150 hours before they will sound as intended? Granted there is no money involved but it means you will still have to spend some time with them before you really know what they will sound like. I'm curious to the why of "I can't be bothered" statement.

I have yet to hear a bass heavy headphone I like as the upper mids and highs lack the energy and airiness I want, or it'll sound too meaty or the bass is just too much for the classical and metal I listen to, or it'll have some other reason for me to dislike it. The headphones I used before my m1060's are a pair of q701's bass port modded with a ADL iHP 35x cable, the stock m1060's were just a side grade for me but the m1060's with the vegan pads and the foam behind the grills taken out sound a step above, retains a lot of qualities of the q701s I like while adding bass. I also find the Aune x1s to be on the brighter side of neutral while being thinner sounding as well and I find the equalizer setting corrects this, I have only reduced the highs to remove the harshness I hear but I may try the Fazor mod as well. I'm still messing around with the equalizer to find out what works best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back