Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,313 of 8,051
For me the "ringing" is between the abrupt 5k spike and the equally abrupt drop that causes high pitched female vocals to sound strident on sustained notes. I'd rather call it a rash than a ring.

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #5,314 of 8,051
Hi guys!

I have been checking headphones the last few days, opened a thread, asked on one specific for metal... And now I've come across these headphones and I have two doubts about them:
  1. M560 can be closed... If you close them, do they actually feel genuinely close? You actually don't hear the people and your music doesn't leak to them?
  2. I searched the thread but only found a few comments that barely grasped it (one positive, one negative): Are these headphones good for metal (both 560 an 1060)? I would care the most for them to sound good with Progressive, Death, Thrash, Power, Black and then it would desirable, though not as important, that they are good with Heavy and Symphonic. Other styles I don't even care about, lol.
Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #5,315 of 8,051
I mostly have the issue with jpop music.
Some of the more noticeable recent songs that I've noticed it on:
Itou Miku - Shocking Blue
Murakawa Rie - Tiny Tiny
Suzuki Konomi - Blow out

There are a bunch more but I tend to listen to newer anime songs lol
The songs you linked to have a lot of energy in the 5hkz region and are quite harsh even on my HD650 which is one of the more forgiving headphones around. I also asked my friend who has the M1060 that I listened to and she noted that the songs were almost unlistenable to her on the M1060, not so much for the ringing but for the grain and harshness in the treble.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #5,316 of 8,051
The songs you linked to have a lot of energy in the 5hkz region and are quite harsh even on my HD650 which is one of the more forgiving headphones around. I also asked my friend who has the M1060 that I listened to and she noted that the songs were almost unlistenable to her on the M1060, not so much for the ringing but for the grain and harshness in the treble.
Agree. I'd describe my issue not so much as spectral decay or resonance but more of a harsh, strident sound that occurs in that region. As my other comment, I'd much rather call it an abrasive rash than a ring.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #5,317 of 8,051
I also find the HD6x0 to be more laid back, but the M1060 is more energetic and fun. It just has a "bigger" sound to me. Comfort-wise varies for people, but I find the M1060 to be very comfortable despite its weight.
+1 That's exactly what I think about the M1060. Big. Fun. And I'd add the word crisp. It has a big, fun, crisp sound. I love the crispness. On the other hand, I would not describe them as either lush or sweet-toned like my HE400i.

I'd describe my issue not so much as spectral decay or resonance but more of a harsh, strident sound that occurs in that region. As my other comment, I'd much rather call it an abrasive rash than a ring.

And I called it a glare. All but gone now after the mods. Either that or I totally got used to it.

Aug 23, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #5,319 of 8,051
Has anyone done just the fuzzor mod with stock pads?
My M1060s will arrive this week and I'm open to trying to fuzzor mod but I would like to keep the stock pads if possible. Want some opinions on how they sound just with fuzzor mod
It definitely helps smooth out the treble, but personally there is still some harshness that I'm certain other pads can help reduce further. It's an excellent mod that is extremely cost effective and is good enough for some on this thread.
Stock pad with fuzzor:
rdMOtyMl.jpg

Completely stock:
HsVMipsl.jpg

Note the smoothing in the 5k range.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #5,321 of 8,051
I really wanted to like the M1060 but I'm going to have to return it. The ringing in the 4-5kHz region is ridiculous on some songs, it's not really there on most songs but I can't live with this type of behaviour that I don't hear on any of my other audio gear. Listened with the pads on and off and still bad, I just can't be bothered to mod this thing.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #5,322 of 8,051
It definitely helps smooth out the treble, but personally there is still some harshness that I'm certain other pads can help reduce further. It's an excellent mod that is extremely cost effective and is good enough for some on this thread.
Stock pad with fuzzor:
rdMOtyMl.jpg

Completely stock:
HsVMipsl.jpg

Note the smoothing in the 5k range.
looking at these charts, would you say the fuzzor mod reduced bass and sub-bass?

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #5,323 of 8,051
looking at these charts, would you say the fuzzor mod reduced bass and sub-bass?
Not really. The measurements in the sub-bass region probably isn't too accurate.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #5,324 of 8,051
I just can't be bothered to mod this thing.
IMO if you buy this headphone you have to be willing to mod it. Maybe you'll like it stock, which is okay, but you at least should be prepared to mod if necessary. Luckily, the mods are very easy. But you should factor in the cost of the replacement pads. "I just can't be bothered to mod this thing" is totally the wrong attitude to take toward these headphones. People should realize that before buying.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #5,325 of 8,051
IMO if you buy this headphone you have to be willing to mod it. Maybe you'll like it stock, which is okay, but you at least should be prepared to mod if necessary. Luckily, the mods are very easy. But you should factor in the cost of the replacement pads. "I just can't be bothered to mod this thing" is totally the wrong attitude to take toward these headphones. People should realize that before buying.

I agree with that. After reading about them for a good while, I decided to go with the V2 and was prepared to do the pads, paper towel and fuzzor mods when I got them. I ended up loving them stock and didn't mod them a bit, but I was prepared to from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back