Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #5,296 of 8,051
Good shout! @cskippy, I read a few pages back that the Ori's were the way to go, though I wonder if they're angled enough? Leaves me thinking the Audeze Lambskins would be the best in this scenario? Leather pads are fine for me, I'm mostly focused on improving the sound for my preferred tunes (metal mainly). Eitherway, thanks for the heads up, that helps narrow it down to two options, neither of which I'm sure would be a terrible mistake.

I am open to advise re applying new pads to the M1060's though. How have people been doing it so far? Using the left over adhesive? Double sided tape? Glue?

I think this is probably a good place to start. I quite like the sound of them stock for some genres, however as I alluded to above, I'm not liking them much at all for metal, which I primarily listen to. A bit more brightness up high would be nice I think, not sure, I'm still new to the game :) The clarity and imaging is leagues ahead of my other cans though.

Thanks for the input thus far though. I'm happy to give them some more time stock. Apart from many metal tracks sounding almost muddy in the mids, I'm still very impressed with the sound otherwise, eg. they seem great for gaming!

One last question. If I were to apply the fuzzor mod/change pads, both of which would be reversible mods, would that void the 30 day return guarantee and/or warranty? Honestly, if the mods sort out my couple of issues, I'm more than happy to keep them. In stock form though I probably wouldn't. If these mods would void my return opportunity, I'd probably play it safe and return them.

Open to feedback from people's experience so far :)
oooh a treble-head!

some ppl think M1060 is a relatively darker headphone, and on top of that, most of the mods mentioned on this thread aimed at reducing the 5k Hz ringing, which I am guessing as a result would also smooth out the higher frequencies as well? maybe some of the advanced modders can chime in.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,297 of 8,051
on another note, I finally applied the fuzzor mod, to both pad side and grill side. grill side fuzzor fully covered the entire back side surface to the outer edges (darn, now I think about it, i should've cover the wooden ring part as well!). I am still on stock pads and after the fuzzor mode, I removed the paper towel mod, no complains. (but I didnt hear any 5k Hz ringing to begin with, that, or I don't know what to listen for...)

when I was removing my stock pads, on my first attempt, when removing one of the stock pads, stock felt material came half way off because I wasnt careful enough, so I removed pad and then felt separately. then on the put back, the felt material stuck back ok, but the pad wouldnt catch enough of the adhesive around the edges to stick, so I had to use double sided tape.

so then removing the other pad, I made sure the stock felt material and that pad stayed in tack, and the put back was easy using the original adhesive left on the driver.

just a heads up.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #5,298 of 8,051
oooh a treble-head!

some ppl think M1060 is a relatively darker headphone, and on top of that, most of the mods mentioned on this thread aimed at reducing the 5k Hz ringing, which I am guessing as a result would also smooth out the higher frequencies as well? maybe some of the advanced modders can chime in.

Cleaning up the treble is exactly a big part of what the vegan + fuzzor mod does:
CCWiwKT.png

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #5,301 of 8,051
Coming from the HD600, what should I expect from the M1060? If anyone has an opinion on both, I would love to see your impressions and comparisons.
I had the HD600 for about 8 months and sold them since there was a small peak in the 4-5khz range that bothered me at times but this is only because of my sensitivity to that frequency. I've only listened to the M1060 once so don't put too much weight on my comments. The M1060 was a bit boring to me with no sparkle in the highs, also bit on the heavy side so it wasn't very comfortable after 30-45 minutes for me. I also have an LCD-2f which I also consider too heavy but the sound of the LCD-2f is better to me due to the highs having a little sparkle and the mids being more life like to me.

FYI, the M1060 was stock so if you intend to do any of the mods that are discussed in this thread then the M1060 might be a very different sounding headphone and it has also been noted that the level you listen at has some influence in how the M1060 will sound, I listen at relatively low levels (65-75dB) so it might be the reason that the M1060 sounds boring with no life in them.

I suggest you fill out your profile so when asking questions other can refer to your profile to provide a response tailored to your preferences.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,302 of 8,051
Cleaning up the treble is exactly a big part of what the vegan + fuzzor mod does:
I personally haven't noticed the 5k ringing issue with my pair, though being pretty fresh to the game, I wonder if I'm simply unaware of it happening. Are there any particular songs where the issue is more prevalent? It would be nice to a/b it with another set of cans.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,303 of 8,051
I personally haven't noticed the 5k ringing issue with my pair, though being pretty fresh to the game, I wonder if I'm simply unaware of it happening. Are there any particular songs where the issue is more prevalent? It would be nice to a/b it with another set of cans.
I mostly have the issue with jpop music.
Some of the more noticeable recent songs that I've noticed it on:
Itou Miku - Shocking Blue
Murakawa Rie - Tiny Tiny
Suzuki Konomi - Blow out

There are a bunch more but I tend to listen to newer anime songs lol

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #5,304 of 8,051
Coming from the HD600, what should I expect from the M1060? If anyone has an opinion on both, I would love to see your impressions and comparisons.

I owned both M1060 and HD600 at the same time (recently sold the HD600). They are fairly different headphones as the HD600 is more neutral and natural, even to the point of being analytical. I liked them quite a lot but already had HD650 and HD800 as well so I didn't really have a place for them. The M1060 (mine are fuzzor modded) are a bit warmer and much more extended in sub-bass. The soundstage is much bigger on M1060 and there is a lot more air and instrument separation, whereas the HD6x0 are more intimate and tightly layered. I also find the HD6x0 to be more laid back, but the M1060 is more energetic and fun. It just has a "bigger" sound to me. Comfort-wise varies for people, but I find the M1060 to be very comfortable despite its weight. The ear pads are more roomy than HD600 and with the vegan pads it feels like pillows pressed against your face.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #5,305 of 8,051

I have never heard it in my set as well. I tried for days to listen to lots of different music at high volumes and couldn't produce any ringing. Some people say it literally sounds like metal clanking. I did do sine wave sweeps and found that it is uneven around the 4-5kHz range with large channel imbalances around that region as well though.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #5,306 of 8,051
I had the HD600 for about 8 months and sold them since there was a small peak in the 4-5khz range that bothered me at times but this is only because of my sensitivity to that frequency. I've only listened to the M1060 once so don't put too much weight on my comments. The M1060 was a bit boring to me with no sparkle in the highs, also bit on the heavy side so it wasn't very comfortable after 30-45 minutes for me. I also have an LCD-2f which I also consider too heavy but the sound of the LCD-2f is better to me due to the highs having a little sparkle and the mids being more life like to me.

FYI, the M1060 was stock so if you intend to do any of the mods that are discussed in this thread then the M1060 might be a very different sounding headphone and it has also been noted that the level you listen at has some influence in how the M1060 will sound, I listen at relatively low levels (65-75dB) so it might be the reason that the M1060 sounds boring with no life in them.

I suggest you fill out your profile so when asking questions other can refer to your profile to provide a response tailored to your preferences.
I owned both M1060 and HD600 at the same time (recently sold the HD600). They are fairly different headphones as the HD600 is more neutral and natural, even to the point of being analytical. I liked them quite a lot but already had HD650 and HD800 as well so I didn't really have a place for them. The M1060 (mine are fuzzor modded) are a bit warmer and much more extended in sub-bass. The soundstage is much bigger on M1060 and there is a lot more air and instrument separation, whereas the HD6x0 are more intimate and tightly layered. I also find the HD6x0 to be more laid back, but the M1060 is more energetic and fun. It just has a "bigger" sound to me. Comfort-wise varies for people, but I find the M1060 to be very comfortable despite its weight. The ear pads are more roomy than HD600 and with the vegan pads it feels like pillows pressed against your face.

Thank you for your insights.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,307 of 8,051
I think the ringing may be down to power supplied to the headphone, when using a LD MK2 and every now and again with certain songs or talking that had a 5khz range to it I would get a ring, not a lot but it does happen even with the fuzzor mod.

I have gone back to using my Asus Xonar ST and it has stopped, I am playing the same tracks that made them ring in the past and no ringing.

I have the fuzzor mod with stock pads.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5,308 of 8,051
I may regret asking about this (I am not finding 5k Hz abnormal, aka not hearing the ringing, ignorance is a bliss right?) but what should I listen for this "5k Hz ringing"? is it like a distortion? some type of echo? a buzzing/hizzing noise? that "ringing" when you heard a loud sound that almost make you go deft and you say "my ears are ringing"? a piercing noise at 5k?

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5,309 of 8,051
I may regret asking about this (I am not finding 5k Hz abnormal, aka not hearing the ringing, ignorance is a bliss right?) but what should I listen for this "5k Hz ringing"? is it like a distortion? some type of echo? a buzzing/hizzing noise? that "ringing" when you heard a loud sound that almost make you go deft and you say "my ears are ringing"? a piercing noise at 5k?

Ringing in the audio world means when a frequency impulse is stretched out longer than it should. Pre-ringing indicates the duration of that frequency heard before it ought to be heard, and post-ringing indicates the frequency being heard after the frequency should have ended. Pre-ringing is unnatural in the real world and should thereby sound strange and noticeable, but you may not actually notice moderate post-ringing since reverberations are natural phenomena.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #5,310 of 8,051

The 5k frequency in the notes of the instrument or voice is amplified and it resonates with a decay and sustain for longer than the original note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back