Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,666 of 8,051
Why would you think that? I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

THIS!

Mine require a FIRM push.

You are both exactly right. I have never encountered any plug that required this sort of effort, but here it is.
Now, how do I disconnect these plugs WITHOUT using a pair of pliers!
LOL.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,668 of 8,051
Hey are there already recommended mods on the M1060 ? Also a question does the black grill is black metal or is it painted black ? because i thought removing the paint to clean the edges out and reveal pretty brushed metal look if using aggressive sand paper

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #4,669 of 8,051
You are both exactly right. I have never encountered any plug that required this sort of effort, but here it is.
Now, how do I disconnect these plugs WITHOUT using a pair of pliers!
LOL.
Yeah, it hurt to remove them with my fingers. Haha. I hated that. No reason for it. They need to supply better fitting connectors. I made an aftermarket cable for mine with 2.5mm jacks from eBay. They snap in with a nice click now, and remove easily with just the right amount of tension. So it must be the male jack that is the culprit.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,670 of 8,051
I agree, it's the male plug on the cable. I got an aftermarket cable with inline mic to use the M1060 for gaming and it fits well, but it isn't a fight plugging it in or unplugging it.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,671 of 8,051
Thanks for quick response.

Not sure I'm gonna wait six months for this bargain.
HD650 stock is kinda of dark and muddy sounding, even out of a good amp such as Zana Deux. I found that there was too much mid bass bloat and not quite enough treble for my tastes. Doing the coin mod to the front foam, and removing the back foam piece and adding custom damping make them quite the force to be reckoned with, IMO.

The HD650 easily wins on positional cues and staging, as in how far away the instrument or sound is presented in the audio. It's there with the M1060 but you really have to focus as the nuances get lost in the wall of sound. Really it has to do with the excellent driver setup of the HD650 pointing right into your ear. Planars have better frequency extension in the bass but their downfall is the left-center-right presentation. It's a startling change coming from speakers. HD650 is much closer to my reference speakers and makes mixing easier for positional cues and putting instruments in the appropriate place. M1060 give a different perspective and can let you see inside the music in a different way, which can be nice but overall I prefer the modded HD650.

I think you need to share the 650 "coin mod" skippy :) Is there a thread to find it in ?? Thanks ...

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,672 of 8,051
Just canceled the Audeze pad from B&H. Two month and they can't don't know when they will be in stock. You'd think they could get Audeze to give them some kind of answer.

Looks like I'm going stock, so I'll never know what the difference is.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4,675 of 8,051
True. I have two T50RP MKIIIs and M560 was sent packing.

I think it's highly likely now that I have the M560 that it will be sent packing. When people said the bass was lacking they weren't kidding and should have dragged it though the mud even more than the reviews I read/saw. I can't even believe that they designed it this way as even with EQ turning it up to %100 on bass boost it's still not good and then well it's just muddy when you do that. I am not into the headphones that beat the crap out of your hears with bass but %100 dead bass just kind of sucks. Also it's factory smell was really strongly bad I thought I was going to puke from it was so strong and frankly bad. It went away after a few hours but someone should tell them to figure out a way to tone it down because it was too much, way too much and never in my life have I made a complaint about the factory smell of something I have bought. Sure some where on the strong side but for a set of headphones this was monster overkill. It's like they figured out a way to take one of those gross kind of deodorant and monster size it's odor onto the headphones. I quickly set them up and let them run for 5 hours before I even used them or went back into the room I opened them in.

So after the M560 is sent packing, My Gemini HSR-1000 shall likely be good enough as it doesn't lack in other areas all that much because I don't really feel like I need anything better at this point. Unless someone wants to make a recommendation on what would be noticeable upgrade over those that is. I can't seem to make good audio choices if left to my own devices.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #4,676 of 8,051
I think it's highly likely now that I have the M560 that it will be sent packing. When people said the bass was lacking they weren't kidding and should have dragged it though the mud even more than the reviews I read/saw. I can't even believe that they designed it this way as even with EQ turning it up to %100 on bass boost it's still not good and then well it's just muddy when you do that. I am not into the headphones that beat the crap out of your hears with bass but %100 dead bass just kind of sucks. Also it's factory smell was really strongly bad I thought I was going to puke from it was so strong and frankly bad. It went away after a few hours but someone should tell them to figure out a way to tone it down because it was too much, way too much and never in my life have I made a complaint about the factory smell of something I have bought. Sure some where on the strong side but for a set of headphones this was monster overkill. It's like they figured out a way to take one of those gross kind of deodorant and monster size it's odor onto the headphones. I quickly set them up and let them run for 5 hours before I even used them or went back into the room I opened them in.

So after the M560 is sent packing, My Gemini HSR-1000 shall likely be good enough as it doesn't lack in other areas all that much because I don't really feel like I need anything better at this point. Unless someone wants to make a recommendation on what would be noticeable upgrade over those that is. I can't seem to make good audio choices if left to my own devices.

Haha... I saw three video reviews of the M560 and two where very positive. Needles to say I was sorely disappointed. Probably the least favorite headphone I have ever owned, about 20 or more over the last 1.5 to 2 years.

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,677 of 8,051
Haha... I saw three video reviews of the M560 and two where very positive. Needles to say I was sorely disappointed. Probably the least favorite headphone I have ever owned, about 20 or more over the last 1.5 to 2 years.

I haven't owned that many but yeah I could see it being fairly low on the list. If it had a little more power I might say it's good for some kinds of music but not other's but it's so weak on bass that it's truly limited in what it's good at. For $200 that just shouldn't happen. I will say that at lest they are comfortable and that the cord is of high quality that doesn't allow interface like my other wired set's do. But the overall sound quality just isn't there due to the lack of bass that just ruin's the whole thing even in non-bass heavy song's.

I just hope monoprice isn't a jerk about it when I request a return on the m560. I ordered on Newegg but Monoprice handled the order and is the one that decides how returns are handled.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #4,679 of 8,051
foam/felt etc. on the ear side of the driver really helps contain some of the problems regarding metallic/unpleasent sounds when listening to complicated tracks on the m1060's at loud volumes. Seems to absorb some of the anomalies and creates a more "listenable" result. Highly recommended. Currently I use two layers of foam (cheap from ebay and from some dt770 pads) + the stock driver felt on the Audeze leather pads.

edit: Also seems to make the cans "harder to drive", but I think this is because there are more material blocking the sound from reaching your ears. As a result, there seems to be more bass-volume. Very satisfied :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back