Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4,607 of 8,051
Well, think I'm going to cancel the Audeze Vegan pads from B&H, It been a while and they still don't know when they will get them. I've b arly touched them since getting the iSine, as they sound great and are so convenient.

Part of me says cancel, the other parts says wait.... decisions... decisions...

I have some on order from B&H also. I have also thought about canceling. The conformation email I received when ordering says that no monies would be withdrawn until the order ships but the money was withdrawn from PayPal right away. So I need reimbursement.
I've canceled orders from B&H. Not a bad experience. True, they charged my card immediately. But after I canceled the only delay was the five days it took my bank to redeposit the money in my account. I also ordered my DragonFly Red from them. Free shipping. Got it fast. And the DFR works just fine. I'd definitely buy from B&H again. Discovered them on this thread.

My sense is that those Audeze pads have ceased to be made but don't base any decision on that since I know as much as you do.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,608 of 8,051
I've canceled orders from B&H. Not a bad experience. True, they charged my card immediately. But after I canceled the only delay was the five days it took my bank to redeposit the money in my account. I also ordered my DragonFly Red from them. Free shipping. Got it fast. And the DFR works just fine. I'd definitely buy from B&H again. Discovered them on this thread.

My sense is that those Audeze pads have ceased to be made but don't base any decision on that since I know as much as you do.

Yeah, B&H is fantastic. Them and Newegg have been great for me over many years now.

I have a hard time understanding the shipping delay. Audeze should be able to tell them, "yes or no", especially TWO month in. I'm leaning towards canceling tomorrow.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,609 of 8,051
anyone know how many mods you can do before you void your warranty?

Exactly three, and Monoprice is always watching.

You'll be fine as long as you can return them back to stock if you need to send them in.

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #4,610 of 8,051
The HE400i isn't doing ambient noise very well. I'm listening to

This is an outdoor panel on the future of planars. My M1060 is placing me there at the venue in a way that the 400i just isn't. It's not a great recording by any means; nevertheless, things are being picked up: background conversations, the birds chirping in the trees, airplanes flying overhead, the wind hitting the microphone, stray noises. All this sounds and feels relatively lifelike on the M1060. At least there's a sense of space, of situational awareness. By comparison, the 400i is just not placing me there. The ambient sounds are scrunched up and unclear. On the M1060, they sound magnified, more fully resolved. Just more real.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #4,611 of 8,051
The HE400i isn't doing ambient noise very well. I'm listening to

This is an outdoor panel on the future of planars. My M1060 is placing me there at the venue in a way that the 400i just isn't. It's not a great recording by any means; nevertheless, things are being picked up: background conversations, the birds chirping in the trees, airplanes flying overhead, the wind hitting the microphone, stray noises. All this sounds and feels relatively lifelike on the M1060. At least there's a sense of space, of situational awareness. By comparison, the 400i is just not placing me there. The ambient sounds are scrunched up and unclear. On the M1060, they sound magnified, more fully resolved. Just more real.

Fang's way to push he560 I guess. Personally I'd take HE400 over both since IMO 400i's a huge stepback in terms of bass and soundstage.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,612 of 8,051
Fang's way to push he560 I guess. Personally I'd take HE400 over both since IMO 400i's a huge stepback in terms of bass and soundstage.

You prefer the HE400 over the HE400i and HE560 since the sound stage of the HE400 is better than the HE400i and HE560? I have all three and to me the HE560 has the best sound stage but a fairly large margin but for the genres I use the HE400i and HE400 sound stage is it really is not important.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,613 of 8,051
You prefer the HE400 over the HE400i and HE560 since the sound stage of the HE400 is better than the HE400i and HE560? I have all three and to me the HE560 has the best sound stage but a fairly large margin but for the genres I use the HE400i and HE400 sound stage is it really is not important.
Nah, by 'both' I mean 1060 and 400i, not 560 and 400i. Completely agree with yer 560 vs 400 comparison tho, there's no comparison.
Another note, 1060 has the most compressed dynamics among the four, Couldn't believe where all that praise come from.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,614 of 8,051
No, I had removed my cloth cover on the Audeze pads so I needed the stock cloth cover to stay. You just want some kind of cover to protect the drivers from dust and hairs.
One of the things I noticed on my un-modded M1060s is that if I apply slight pressure to the earcups (starting at 12:00, then 1:00 and working all the way around them), the sound signature changes slightly at each position. I don't understand why people rush out to mod them before the pads have had a chance to break in. As they soften, the sound will change on its own. I'm strictly a classical music listener and so, perhaps, the music I listen to isn't as heavily produced and the sound is more natural, but I find the M1060s un-modded to be very accurate and warm. If I compare them to my HD650s, it's like the difference between listening to a concert in a warm hall (650s) vs a live hall (M1060s). I like having the option of two different, but highly accurate, sound signatures. Maybe it's a different story with pop music and hip-hop / rock. I don't know. But maybe everyone shouldn't be in a hurry to mod a new set of headphones before they've fully broken in? Just my $0.02.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #4,615 of 8,051
1060 has the most compressed dynamics among the four, Couldn't believe where all that praise come from.
I can easily understand the praise for the M1060 since I recently purchased it and the HE400i together and find that the former is more impressive in certain areas, such as what I said above about rendering ambient noise and giving one a better feel for the venue.

I purchased these headphones as entry level planar magnetics. They're my first. As such, I'm impressed with both and absolutely love listening to music through them. I also find that they sound very different from each other to the point that I have to ask what sound characteristics they have in common as planars.

By the way, I think I was unfair to the M1060 as to their comfort. After wearing it and the 400i over an extended period of time I have to say that I've changed my mind about which one is more comfortable. For me, it's the M1060. It's really remarkable what a light touch it has given its weight and size.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,616 of 8,051
One of the things I noticed on my un-modded M1060s is that if I apply slight pressure to the earcups (starting at 12:00, then 1:00 and working all the way around them), the sound signature changes slightly at each position. I don't understand why people rush out to mod them before the pads have had a chance to break in. As they soften, the sound will change on its own. I'm strictly a classical music listener and so, perhaps, the music I listen to isn't as heavily produced and the sound is more natural, but I find the M1060s un-modded to be very accurate and warm. If I compare them to my HD650s, it's like the difference between listening to a concert in a warm hall (650s) vs a live hall (M1060s). I like having the option of two different, but highly accurate, sound signatures. Maybe it's a different story with pop music and hip-hop / rock. I don't know. But maybe everyone shouldn't be in a hurry to mod a new set of headphones before they've fully broken in? Just my $0.02.

I actually think many of us with modded M1060's have listened to them both stock and modded. When I first got my M1060's I used them exclusively in stock form for a few weeks, probably 100+ hours of listening time (after 50 hours of burn-in time). I agree, they are great stock and I would be perfectly happy using them that way. I also have HD650's and agree with your comparisons. And I also listen to classical and jazz, as well as modern pop, hip hop, rock, electronic, etc. But honestly, there are some real imperfections with the upper mids and treble (peaks and unevenness) that are objectively shown in frequency response confirmed by many different peoples' measurements. The vegan pad + paper towel mods has shown to correct those issues quite well. I'm not saying everyone will prefer the changed sound that mods provide over stock as that is personal preference. But for me, I really prefer the modded sound. I'm very cautious of exaggerated differences in the headphone world--DAC/amp differences (even tubes) are very small and subtle to me. Even the differences between HD600 and HD650 (I have both) are very small to me. But the modded M1060 was a noticeable change and not just subtle to me. I just feel like the modded M1060 is improved in every area. And even though I found the stock pads to be really comfortable and plush, the comfort of the vegan pads is even better. As a bonus the stock pleather pads could get sweaty out here in the Midwest summers, but the vegan pads are also running much cooler. All I can say is the vegan pads were absolutely worth the price to me and I wouldn't knock it until you try it yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,617 of 8,051
I just received the M1060 from one of the head-fier (ver.2) fully intended to sell the headphone if I am not satisfied and get something else as planar magnetic driver headphones from such companies Hifiman, Audeze, etc. This is my first time for planar headphone listening session and I must confess it sounds wonderful. Monoprice definitely done something right with this M1060. My source is Emotiva Stealth DC-1 feeding from optical line from the Teac PD-H300 Mk III cd player as transport duty. I listened to entire cd album of BB King Blues On The Bayou TWICE straight through. This album sounded so good from this combo! And it is so comfortable to wear long period of time too. LaRocco PPA is hooked up at the moment but can't wait to try different desk amps in the future. I am sure given a chance, I like to try different planar headphones but for now this remarkable M1060 will stay with me for a very long time. This much refined sound from $300 pair is truly special!

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,618 of 8,051
any suggestions for a DAC that is a bit less harsh in the treble? Love the sound of the m1060, but I really like to listen loudly, and the DAC in the Aune x1s is too bright for my taste (or too flat/transparent/perfect if that is more of a "accepted" term). Voices tend to irritate me from time to time (Sssss sounds piercing and yuk). Looking for a nice musical, real sounding DAC that isn't as "perfect" in the treble as the x1s.

I also got a more powerful amp yesterday, and a better amp for sure helps the bass in these puppy's (or should I say bulldogs atm, hoho). Really engaging and more fun to listen to.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,619 of 8,051
any suggestions for a DAC that is a bit less harsh in the treble? Love the sound of the m1060, but I really like to listen loudly, and the DAC in the Aune x1s is too bright for my taste (or too flat/transparent/perfect if that is more of a "accepted" term). Voices tend to irritate me from time to time (Sssss sounds piercing and yuk). Looking for a nice musical, real sounding DAC that isn't as "perfect" in the treble as the x1s.

I also got a more powerful amp yesterday, and a better amp for sure helps the bass in these puppy's (or should I say bulldogs atm, hoho). Really engaging and more fun to listen to.

I love the DAC in my iFi Micro iDSD with the M1060, very musical. Since you just bought an amp you seem happy with, you can get the same DAC that is in the iDSD DAC/Amp by getting iFi's Micro iDAC2.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,620 of 8,051

Any FIIO portable dac should do. I find my Q1 a bit smoother (less detailed) using the line out to Magni 2 than the Mimby and a DYI AK4490EQ, hence less harsh. I think a warmer amp can do a better job taming the highs on high volume levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back