Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,261 of 8,051
So it looks like I am not alone in searching for a bright, clear sound. So after reading your post today, I was curious about what is under the pad. I did not intend for this to happen, but it did.

When I pulled off the earpad to see what was underneath, the bottom side of the pad, that driver cover, came off. Again, I didn't intend for this to happen, but I figured since it did... I would do it on the other side too.

It is definitely brighter. It's borderline piercing, and the soundstage is a bit different honestly. But it's not all bad. I have done this on purpose on other headphones and been pleased with the results. I might also try a bit of looser foam padding I have from another set of headphones to see if that tames it to just right.

This is why I want to know the best way to measure headphones, because I would love the know the science behind what I am hearing.

EDIT: I added the looser foam, and it's close, though perhaps a bit too close to stock; comparing is a challenge sometimes. If it could be just a bit thinner I best it would be near perfect (for those looking for a brighter sound).

EDIT 2: I think I am going to leave it like this for now. No cover + thin foam to tame it just a tad. The more I listen the more it seems like a good balance. The other option is EQ, which as has been said, these work extremely well with.

STAX Lamda series... bang for the buck they are incredible. SR-L500 is what my end goal is for my highest end headphone - really like it's sound - even more so than the SR-009, which is a spectacular sounding headphone. Will complete my headphone type selection: Stax SR-L500 for the open electrostatic driver, modded Monolith M1060 for the open planar , modded Fostex TH-X00 PH for the closed/semi-closed dynamic, and modded Philips SHP9500 for the open dynamics.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4,262 of 8,051
STAX Lamda series... bang for the buck they are incredible. SR-L500 is what my end goal is for my highest end headphone - really like it's sound - even more so than the SR-009, which is a spectacular sounding headphone. Will complete my headphone type selection: Stax SR-L500 for the open electrostatic driver, modded Monolith M1060 for the open planar , modded Fostex TH-X00 PH for the closed/semi-closed dynamic, and modded Philips SHP9500 for the open dynamics.

I appreciate that someday I would like an electrostat, but I think these are about as high on the budget as I can get anytime soon. :wink:

Thanks though! You are not the first to recommend electrostatic headphones to me. I have heard Electrostat speakers and definitely liked them for what they were good at. I still prefer AMT speakers overall, which is why I am watching for ESS's new AMT headphones, though I doubt I will be able to afford them anytime soon.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,263 of 8,051
Haha that's funny your complaint is that it is too bright and the other complaint was too warm. This subjective hobby is always all over the place :L3000:

Well, I have an nfb-11 coming, a Little Dot mk2 with Voskhod tubes coming, a JDSLabs O2, and an Xduoo XD-05. I also have an A/B switch, sound level meter, multimeter, etc. so I'm going to be running volume matched comparisons across all the different dac/amps in all the different configurations possible to make comparisons. I'll test these combos out on my M1060 as well as my HD600 and HD650 and report back in the future.

Keep in mind the comments were about two different outputs. The line out, basically the DAC only versus the headphone SE out. I think, in an attempt to mellow out the dac section, they muddled up the headphone out.

As you are getting one, maybe you will understand better what I mean when you listen yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,264 of 8,051
Haha that's funny your complaint is that it is too bright and the other complaint was too warm. This subjective hobby is always all over the place :L3000:

Well, I have an nfb-11 coming, a Little Dot mk2 with Voskhod tubes coming, a JDSLabs O2, and an Xduoo XD-05. I also have an A/B switch, sound level meter, multimeter, etc. so I'm going to be running volume matched comparisons across all the different dac/amps in all the different configurations possible to make comparisons. I'll test these combos out on my M1060 as well as my HD600 and HD650 and report back in the future.
It's one of the best features of NFB-11.32, you can change sound signature to match your headphones.
If you have bright headphones - use headphone out
If you have a warm headphone - use variable out

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #4,265 of 8,051
The M1060s probably have some driver discrepancies because the sound I am currently hearing is far far from veiled. It is very detailed and balanced. Bass goes incredibly deep, but there is no mid-bass hump which people might not like as it may sound leaner. I however am able to appreciate the very extended bass regardless, and the lack of that hump adds to the clarity of the sound i'm hearing

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,266 of 8,051
The M1060s probably have some driver discrepancies because the sound I am currently hearing is far far from veiled. It is very detailed and balanced. Bass goes incredibly deep, but there is no mid-bass hump which people might not like as it may sound leaner. I however am able to appreciate the very extended bass regardless, and the lack of that hump adds to the clarity of the sound i'm hearing

I wouldn't say it's veiled either, but if you are going for a sound more like having a speaker next to you, it is in comparison to that. For many that doesn't appear to be the goal.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,267 of 8,051
Important notice to people who upgrade pads (Vegans or HM5 velours etc etc).. Leave the black felt from the stock pads to cover the driver! The sound is completely different now that I tested it. Soundstage is a lot bigger and the bass is a lot fuller. Vocals are also more forward, not being drowned in the other instruments. Try it!!

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,268 of 8,051
I wouldn't say it's veiled either, but if you are going for a sound more like having a speaker next to you, it is in comparison to that. For many that doesn't appear to be the goal.
I can agree with your speaker comparison. You really can hear the size of the drivers if you know what I mean, more so than the LCD-? series imo

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4,269 of 8,051
I can agree with your speaker comparison. You really can hear the size of the drivers if you know what I mean, more so than the LCD-? series imo

If you adjust what is in front of the driver, this can change in my experience so far. Really happy with removing the thick felt and replacing it with thinner. I feel like this may be what @generalako is looking for.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,270 of 8,051
Important notice to people who upgrade pads (Vegans or HM5 velours etc etc).. Leave the black felt from the stock pads to cover the driver! The sound is completely different now that I tested it. Soundstage is a lot bigger and the bass is a lot fuller. Vocals are also more forward, not being drowned in the other instruments. Try it!!

Quoted as this is how I did it by default with my mods. My Vegan pads were originally used on my HE-6 with the driver cloth removed from the Audeze pads. So when I placed them on the M1060, I kept the stock driver cloth there so there would be protection against hair and dust. I didn't even think about the cloth that came with the Audeze pads since it was long removed. So if people want to duplicate my mods exactly use:

Stock pad driver protective cloth
Audeze Vegan pads with protective cloth cut out/removed
Bounty PIck-A-Size paper towel 3 inch/7cm diameter circle under outer grill keeping stock foam in place

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,271 of 8,051

Quoted as this is how I did it by default with my mods. My Vegan pads were originally used on my HE-6 with the driver cloth removed from the Audeze pads. So when I placed them on the M1060, I kept the stock driver cloth there so there would be protection against hair and dust. I didn't even think about the cloth that came with the Audeze pads since it was long removed. So if people want to duplicate my mods exactly use:

Stock pad driver protective cloth
Audeze Vegan pads with protective cloth cut out/removed
Bounty PIck-A-Size paper towel 3 inch/7cm diameter circle under outer grill keeping stock foam in place

@Tullebukk - Thanks for the update. Did you also do as @cskippy did and remove the driver cloth backing from the Audeze vegan pads? Or did you keep those on as well and "double up" on stock backing + vegan backing?

Haha I really do think @cskippy has been listening to the M1060 completely differently than everyone else who tried to copy his mod. The stock driver foam is a really different thickness/material compared to the Audeze vegan backing. I was debating whether or not it was worth the hassle of pulling the vegans off and inserting the stock foam back in, but I guess I gotta try it now.

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,273 of 8,051
Sorry for the confusion, it was the norm for me so I didn't even catch it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

I actually did mention this when I posted my mod as people asked about whether I kept the existing cloth. It's important to reiterate it now though since there is a noticeable difference in material.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #4,274 of 8,051
try EQ'ing the highs a bit before you discard them, they take EQ extremely well...

I'm unfortunately not going to EQ anything. I use headphones for more things than just music (gaming, movies), and I listen to music on stuff like Spotify as well.
I'm sure there are plenty of people that would love to buy your Vegans off of you, especially if they are the black ones. It doesn't sound like the "shouty" mids bothered you because that's primarily what the vegans fix. I don't regret the money I spent my vegans at all. My M1060 wouldn't have gotten listened to nearly as much if I hadn't been able to tame those wonky mids.

It's the brown version. Doubt I'll be able to sell it though, as this happened when I taked them off the M1060:

ly2xIMy.jpg

9OK9CNq.jpg

It should have no relevance for the listening experience though...

I didn't mind that it "fixed" the mids. It was mainly how the already very tight bass kind of disappeared with the vegans. Granted, I only tried with the Vegans, and didn't added any towels in to see if they would alleviate this in any way. But the lack of bass as well as a feeling of everything in general being subdued, made the Vegans quite unattractive imo. The stock pads were not perfect either, but better overall imo.

Maybe I should just wait and see if they make a 3rd revision with new pads, or sell new pads that help with the loud highs and mids.

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4,275 of 8,051
Sorry for the confusion, it was the norm for me so I didn't even catch it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

I actually did mention this when I posted my mod as people asked about whether I kept the existing cloth. It's important to reiterate it now though since there is a noticeable difference in material.

I was suprised how much difference it actually made, some songs now sound completely different from before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back