Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3,331 of 8,051
Well I don't have the monoprice ones, but I have essentially the same headphone branded O+E, I got them to review through Xberts and they are terrible.

I know the drivers have potential, it was just as they came they were way too warm and just lacking anything special. Also the headband support strap was too big and wouldn't fit my big head so I had to cut it down.

I decided to mod them a bit and now I am really happy with the sound after trying different layers of felt in different places. I have felt in front of the driver, and right behind. The grills have the stock foam removed so it is only the felt behind the driver.

I am using some felt from a pro-ject turntable mat, and Beyerdynamic DT1990 Analytical pads with the Beyerdynamic locking rings flipped over so the back surface is flat.

Now the bass is controlled and tight, rather than bloated and all over the place, and there is finally some treble and soundstage. Sometimes the bass is a little flat in terms of punch, but much better than the bloated stock mess.

IMG_20170425_195117_zpssrw9u3cb.jpg

IMG_20170425_195131_zpsx0jr8ixw.jpg

IMG_20170425_195534_zpso1mnzrol.jpg

IMG_20170425_200246_zps1puheq0e.jpg

IMG_20170425_200257_zpsglaz3hzl.jpg

IMG_20170425_204915_zpsbrwkuw52.jpg

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,333 of 8,051
From the pictures of the drivers, they are the same.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,334 of 8,051
I tried the M1060 on the Schiit Fulla 2 and the Oppo HA-2. I love the sound that comes from Fidelio X2 and the Fostex TH-X00 on the Fulla 2 but the M1060 sounds much better on the HA-2. Since the Sabre DAC is more analytical; it's very clear when paired with the much darker M1060. The Fulla 2 adds too much body for me and muddies up the sound.

I wonder how it sounds with a Chord Mojo compared to the Oppo HA-2.

Did you mod your M1060 with Vegan pads? The stock M1060 with Chord Mojo is a wonderful pair; they synergize very well with just enough sparkle and body to impress basically everyone who I let try. M1060 with Vegan pads sounds a bit darker and thicker with Mojo but loses a bit of sparkle in exchange for a less shouty upper midrange when compared to the stock pads. Personally, I find the Vegan pads to sound much more natural overall than the stock pads. I have much less listening fatigue as a result. Btw, songs that naturally sound bright will still come across as bright sounding, just a little less so (which is a good thing). I don't want you to get the impression that the sound is veiled, not at all! It is very three dimensional sounding with a good sense of width, height, and especially depth. Yesterday I was listening to an older but very well recorded album and the sound was extending beyong the headphones, good stuff!

I don't have a HA-2 to test the M1060 with but I do have an LG V20 which I can set into Aux mode in order to deliver more current and driving ability. From my memory, the HA-2 and V20 sound similar in their tonal balance and obviously both use a Sabre chipset albeit different chips. It drives it well and it sounds great but I prefer Mojo with M1060 for many reasons. :grin:

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,336 of 8,051
You get to review products: https://www.xberts.com/
Bit rubbish to be honest. And I did not like these headphones, but then I saw Monoprice released them under their brand and thought I would look in to this thread.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,337 of 8,051
Did you mod your M1060 with Vegan pads? The stock M1060 with Chord Mojo is a wonderful pair; they synergize very well with just enough sparkle and body to impress basically everyone who I let try. M1060 with Vegan pads sounds a bit darker and thicker with Mojo but loses a bit of sparkle in exchange for a less shouty upper midrange when compared to the stock pads. Personally, I find the Vegan pads to sound much more natural overall than the stock pads. I have much less listening fatigue as a result. Btw, songs that naturally sound bright will still come across as bright sounding, just a little less so (which is a good thing). I don't want you to get the impression that the sound is veiled, not at all! It is very three dimensional sounding with a good sense of width, height, and especially depth. Yesterday I was listening to an older but very well recorded album and the sound was extending beyong the headphones, good stuff!

I don't have a HA-2 to test the M1060 with but I do have an LG V20 which I can set into Aux mode in order to deliver more current and driving ability. From my memory, the HA-2 and V20 sound similar in their tonal balance and obviously both use a Sabre chipset albeit different chips. It drives it well and it sounds great but I prefer Mojo with M1060 for many reasons. :grin:

Totally agree with you Max.
Truth be told, I purchased the Audeze vegan pads before I even had the headphones :laughing:. I went so far as to buy MMCX cables from Veclan because I was so sure that I was going to end up with a pair. Then I read they updated the headphones with 2.5mm plugs. Smh...anyone want to buy Veclan MMCX off me?

The pads that come with the M1060 were too hot for me and not as comfortable as the vegan pads. I had sweat on them after wearing them for an hour. I did the pad roll and the highs sounded much smoother. Tried the paper towel mod and the lower end picked up a bit. I think what really put this over was the bright DAC on the Oppo HA-2 compared to the Schiit Fulla 2.

The Fulla 2 is a great dac/amp for my X2 and TH-X00 but the Oppo HA-2 opens up the darker M1060 much more compared to the Fulla 2. In case you're still on the fence with this headphones maybe try a brighter dac/headphone amp. Personally, the M1060 sound fantastic for the price.

I'm going to try to cut smaller paper towels compared to what I have now. Some pics below:
ShxaKeC.jpg

ILrdlLY.jpg

4Pe11W3.jpg

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,338 of 8,051
This gets me excited, haha.

@cskippy I am curious to hear your impressions of bass performance stock vs vegans w/ paper towel?
Currently I feel some frequencies lack a little bit and don't provide the punch I'd like, in games a touch more bass from 80 below would be great I think.

I'd been using my X2's with DH2 setting on Dolby Headphone and absolutely loved them for the most part, but these don't seem to provide the same immersion and I find bass is bloaty and the clarity is ruined, almost like things are too merged after the DSP processing, I also think the X2's had a much better sound stage.

I feel like the clarity is superb stock and without Dolby Headphone, so I can't wait to hear them modded without Dolby Headphone, but I can't help but keep feeling like a little more bass would be fantastic.

I'm really appreciating all the insight and participation you're giving on this thread.

Install Equalizer APO and add a little bass to you taste. My understanding is that the M1060 take EQ well. Is a very good application and free.

It's a good tool to have even if you decide the mods along get you the sound you want.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,339 of 8,051
So now long term headband comfort isn't an issue (thanks to my mod I posted last night) I've been listening to my M1060 on several different sources today. Mangi, Yamaha receiver, Galaxy S4, Xonar DG sound card, etc. And I have come to two conclusions.
  1. These headphones are ridiculously easy to drive. They really do sound great out of almost any source which is amazing to me.
  2. But for what it lacks in pickiness of source it makes up for in pickiness of recording. Holy crap is it unforgiving about poorly mastered tracks. I will need to keep my other headphones around just so I can stand to listen some of my favorite songs that aren't mastered well....
I should be getting my vegan pads on Monday. I hate to wish my weekend away but I really want those pads!

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,340 of 8,051
Well I don't have the monoprice ones, but I have essentially the same headphone branded O+E, I got them to review through Xberts and they are terrible.

I know the drivers have potential, it was just as they came they were way too warm and just lacking anything special.
[...]
I decided to mod them a bit and now I am really happy with the sound after trying different layers of felt in different places.
[...]
Now the bass is controlled and tight, rather than bloated and all over the place, and there is finally some treble and soundstage. Sometimes the bass is a little flat in terms of punch, but much better than the bloated stock mess.
Considering all the differences in these sonic descriptions and what can be seen in the build (different wood ring shape, different grille, very different plug mount), I'd say it's safer to assume those O&Es are not the same as the M1060, you're probably comparing apples to oranges. And another thing that doesn't make sense to me is how adding felt in front of the driver is getting you more highs. Behind, I can understand - more highs through reflection -, but in front as well? Aren't you eating up at the front what you just gained at the back?

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #3,342 of 8,051
Got these in today, very brief impressions:

-Case is ridiculous
-looks very nice, can't detect any flaws in build. as always, wood looks way better in person than in photographs
-gimbals and headband are very utilitarian. I don't get the sense that they will fall apart, but they don't have the polish of even lower priced headphones
-the nibs that hook into place on the holes in the headband adjustment still strip the paint from the inside of the headband. :mad:
-the swivel of the gimbals is too loose.
-pads are very plush and exceedingly roomy, comfort ear-front seems on par with lcd series
-suspension headband seems ok in short audition, I don't know yet whether it will pass the long term comfort test

-these do not sound terrible at all, in fact I say quite good. Well balanced representation of sound, bass has bottomless extension, and is at a satisfying level.
- There is some splashiness around 5k that can emphasize the raspiness of harmonic energy from trumpets etc. This effect is not too dissimilar from the modded HD650 on the Schiit Jotunheim IIRC.
-soundstage is medium large
-overall presentation is smooth, but more airy and light-footed than an lcd2.

-so far they don't suck.

-in depth comparisons against elear and pm3 later.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,343 of 8,051
I believe I was one of the very first to snag a set of the 1060's (Feb. 24) and LOVED them. Of course they fell apart and I returned them for refund. I had bought the Vegans and installed, but never the P-towels as the screws didn't want to come out easily and I didn't want to screw my warranty. I bought them again as soon as they were available and thought they sounded better than my initial stock set. Let them break in a bit over the last week or so, and then decided to try the mods again today. Vegans on ... P-towels (not sure on brand) and played some of the more challenging tunes I have that gave the stock cans trouble. BANG !! I peed a bit !! Thanks cskippy !! Nailed it ... and for those debating whether to spend the money on the Vegs ... and P-towel ... just do it. I can hardly imagine a better set of cans for my own taste.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3,344 of 8,051
Install Equalizer APO and add a little bass to you taste. My understanding is that the M1060 take EQ well. Is a very good application and free.

It's a good tool to have even if you decide the mods along get you the sound you want.

That's how I am doing it. It is and excellent program to make the final fine-tuning to what your ears like. and M1060 driver responds very well to EQ'ing.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #3,345 of 8,051
Considering all the differences in these sonic descriptions and what can be seen in the build (different wood ring shape, different grille, very different plug mount), I'd say it's safer to assume those O&Es are not the same as the M1060, you're probably comparing apples to oranges. And another thing that doesn't make sense to me is how adding felt in front of the driver is getting you more highs. Behind, I can understand - more highs through reflection -, but in front as well? Aren't you eating up at the front what you just gained at the back?

I understand the cups can make a difference but the size and look and even the way the driver is wired up is exactly the same as the monoprice, and monoprice is just a rebrand of some made in china headphones.

Yes it's odd about the felt in front of the pads, but it worked for me sound wise.

Look at my photos above compared to this, all the bolts are exactly the same, as is the tracing on the driver. Mine did have different pads to the monoprice stock so that will also change the sound. But the driver is the same.

9717293.jpg

I have taken the felt off from in front of the driver now, and it sounds similar, so just felt on the back and the pads have made them sound much better than stock for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back