Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,001 of 8,051
  Has anyone paired the m1060 with ifi micro dac/amp? how does that combo sound?

Yes.  I have the iFi iDSD micro BL, and I couldn't be happier.  I did change the stock M1060 pads to the Audeze vegans, but otherwise no modifications.

I have honestly stopped looking at open circumaural headphones and DAC/amps entirely - both are end-game for me, and I mean that seriously.  Barring some amazing technical advances or electrostatics hitting revolutionary new low price points, the pair create absolutely beautiful music for any genre, and also work very well for movies and games, and are all that I need.  I can't point out anything they don't do well, or find anything jarring that bothers me (unlike previous headphones, where I have always been able to pick out something noticeably wrong with the sound).

I am considering the Audeze iSines for an excellent portable/mobile option, although I already have Oppo PM-3s, so I'm still going back and forth on that thought.

I genuinely believe that many other folks here are in the "game" to be collectors and to brag about their exotic headphones and how much money they have spent, and I'm not sure they ever take time to just enjoy the music...

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,002 of 8,051
  Yes.  I have the iFi iDSD micro BL, and I couldn't be happier.  I did change the stock M1060 pads to the Audeze vegans, but otherwise no modifications.

I have honestly stopped looking at open circumaural headphones and DAC/amps entirely - both are end-game for me, and I mean that seriously.  Barring some amazing technical advances or electrostatics hitting revolutionary new low price points, the pair create absolutely beautiful music for any genre, and also work very well for movies and games, and are all that I need.  I can't point out anything they don't do well, or find anything jarring that bothers me (unlike previous headphones, where I have always been able to pick out something noticeably wrong with the sound).

I am considering the Audeze iSines for an excellent portable/mobile option, although I already have Oppo PM-3s, so I'm still going back and forth on that thought.

I genuinely believe that many other folks here are in the "game" to be collectors and to brag about their exotic headphones and how much money they have spent, and I'm not sure they ever take time to just enjoy the music...

How does the M1060 compare to the PM-3 soundwise?

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #3,003 of 8,051
  How does the M1060 compare to the PM-3 soundwise?

To me, the M1060s are better in pretty much every way.  Obviously being open they have a wider soundstage, but I also think that the mids and treble are better and more detailed than the Oppos.  I wear glasses, and with the Monoliths I still get terrific bass while wearing them, while with the Oppos I need to remove them to get a good seal around my ears.  The PM-3s are perfectly competent, beautifully built, extremely solid, and extremely neutral.  I constantly see people claiming that they are "not exciting", and I can agree with that assessment, however I don't think they were designed to be.  They were designed to be flat and neutral, and they succeed perfectly in their design goal.

At home, given my choice of headphones, I will reach for the M1060s every single time instead though.  There is no doubt that the Oppos are better engineered and built, however.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #3,004 of 8,051

​I'm one that doesn't really look at upgrades, to me most headphones are just a different sound signature, its why I have a few along with a few amps and DACs, I like variety. 

FWIW I'll probably get the M1060 in a few months to add to my collection of headphones, been trying to update my lanai system since building a new gaming computer.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,005 of 8,051
​I'm one that doesn't really look at upgrades, to me most headphones are just a different sound signature, its why I have a few along with a few amps and DACs, I like variety. 

FWIW I'll probably get the M1060 in a few months to add to my collection of headphones, been trying to update my lanai system since building a new gaming computer.

I agree I don't buy headphones for upgrades just for the different sound signatures. When I switch cans or amps I hear every song in a new way. It adds to my music experience.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,006 of 8,051
In addition some headphones are better with different genres of music. Some match up better with different amps. So the headphones you choose may be based on the genre of music you want at any given time, the amp, your mood or simply the sound you are looking for that day(dark, bright, neutral, fun etc ).

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,007 of 8,051
I don't know what kind of joke they decided to pull, putting a few units up and "omitting" to send out notification e-mails, but I hope there's another batch ready for tomorrow because I kinda feel cheated right now. I thought the point of notification subscriptions was to keep things reasonably first-come-first-served-ish (or at least to make refreshing the webpage every 5 minutes in our sleep unnecessary).

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,008 of 8,051

It is pretty simple. cut a 3" diameter circle of paper towel (Brawny is what Cskippy used). Put the paper towel on the outside of the foam under the outer grill. Most important, buy Audeze Vegan pads ($65), and swap out the leather stock pads. They are glued on, so carefully pull them off. The Vegan pads will stick to the glue on the ear cups. Be careful lining up the pads, as the Vegans are slightly larger than the stock. Boom, for ~$365, you have an awesome all around headphone. 

​Power is not everything, you should also consider the output impedance and voltage.  The original Magni was bright to me also and the Jot is also a touch on the bright side to me.  I would suggest looking at the Ember or Solstice since you already have some 12au7 tubes.

mhm, like wise, my collections starting to grow again after spending a year out of the hobby, I really like seeing how things change and how they all compare! Most of what I have is kinda bright, so I really need to invest into some darker cans. My ES10 is a nice modded Dark Closed back, so hopefully with mods the m1060 will prove to be a nice dark open back... 
  I called and spoke with a support rep.  He stated he "thought" that this latest batch had 3 changes: 1) a different finish on the cups (unclear how that would help anything) 2) a different cable and 3) some kind of improvement to the headband.  Take all of this with a grain of salt because he was not 100% sure.  Time will tell when folks start getting them in.

Hopefully that is the case

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,009 of 8,051
  I don't know what kind of joke they decided to pull, putting a few units up and "omitting" to send out notification e-mails, but I hope there's another batch ready for tomorrow because I kinda feel cheated right now. I thought the point of notification subscriptions was to keep things reasonably first-come-first-served-ish (or at least to make refreshing the webpage every 5 minutes in our sleep unnecessary).

Did you check your spam folder?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,010 of 8,051

I checked mine...and even the Proofpoint appliance which tracks every email sent to me, regardless of whether it is spam or not. I got nothing to any of the three email addresses that I registered for notification.
I wonder if we will get notification tomorrow. I also wonder if they got some in early and just decided to let some people get them ordered early. This would work as an explanation due to the very low number available in the last batch. Perhaps the notices were set to go out tomorrow as that was the planned ETA

This doesn't make me feel cheated.. I just think their system is hosed. It is what it is. There will be more up for sale, eventually. This is not keeping me from taking my next breath, eating my next meal, or drinking my next beer... you know, the important things.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,011 of 8,051

My e-mail provider doesn't redirect spam to another folder yet, as the algorithm hasn't had time to "learn" enough from my incoming e-mail to become active, so there was nothing to check.

I also wonder if they got some in early and just decided to let some people get them ordered early. This would work as an explanation due to the very low number available in the last batch. Perhaps the notices were set to go out tomorrow as that was the planned ETA

Yeah, that's my preferred explanation so far: they got a few earlier than they thought, but not enough to go live globally, so they decided on some kind of region-restricted notification or just tacitly put them up to see who would notice.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,012 of 8,051
Hmmmm that does seem odd.  Sounds like they need to get their notifications and availability estimates in order.  I need to tell my friend to check on Monday.  

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,013 of 8,051
You guys have to take in mind that a good part of the batch that came in probably went into replacing the Defective units that people received from the 1st batch. They would've had priority since they already paid and been waiting for replacements for a good while. Maybe what we saw on Friday was what was left after all the RMA's were processed and replacements have been sorted to be shipped. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,014 of 8,051
  You guys have to take in mind that a good part of the batch that came in probably went into replacing the Defective units that people received from the 1st batch. They would've had priority since they already paid and been waiting for replacements for a good while. Maybe what we saw on Friday was what was left after all the RMA's were processed and replacements have been sorted to be shipped. 

This is what I was told on the phone.

I sent mine back and it was arriving to the warehouse on the day the last batch was sent out.  Customer Service said I'd have to wait until tomorrow, just because of the turnaround time on processing my RMA, but mine would definitely be processed and shipped out as soon as the next batch became available.

I'm calling tomorrow morning, just to confirm they sent out my new headphones.  I'll report back here sometime tomorrow.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #3,015 of 8,051
So, April 24th in every timezone on the planet.
*crickets*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back