Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,686 of 8,051
  I've got both.  I started with unmodded MK3's.  

The Mayflower mods definitely improve the midrange presence, and tame a bit of the treble which can seem harsh at times.  

BUT, the M1060s are in another league entirely.  EVERYTHING sounds better on the M1060s.  Granted, I did have to mod them slightly to get rid of the upper midrange honking, but the M1060s wins hands-down.  Plus they're way more efficient.

If I could do it over again, I would have just sold my unmodded MK3's and put the money towards the M1060s.  

Looks like we took somewhat of the same path, except your saving me some of the pain lol This is exactly what I was looking for, great feedback! I love the MK3's, and if the 1060's are better even with the mayflower mod, this seems like a no-brainer. Thanks Spinny

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,687 of 8,051
http://www.audio-gd.com/Shop-EN.htm

[COLOR=FF0000]We  recommend payment through "PayPal "..[/COLOR]

We recommend international buyers to check with us by e-mail about the latest product price and shipment charge for each or combined purchase . Please also note that buyers will have to pay additional  PayPal transaction fees of the total amount while making the payment. 

[COLOR=FF0000]Our PayPal accounts :  audio-gd@vip.163.com
 [/COLOR]
Yeah they want PayPal and I can't use it because my account is limited. (need proof of SSN they said)

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #2,688 of 8,051
The Origen+ has enough power to drive the M1060s to painful levels.  Sonically, however, I think there are better options.  The Origen is good where input/output versatility is important, but to my ears it's a bit middle-of-the-road sound-wise.  I'm liking the M1060s with my O2/ODAC right now.  
the origin interests me because of the ports, want to use it with my pc and consoles.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,689 of 8,051

I dont have the exact Mayflower mod, but I've modded my T50RP Mk3 many times using my own ideas based off of BMF's thread and others. I was just playing around with modding the T50RP Mk3s again last night to make them a little more warm/neutral. I can post results compared to my current M1060 mod tonight.

That would be extremely helpful, doesn't have to be right away, but I would like to hear your opinions on the comparison. Mine are in stock form, and I enjoy them a lot, but if the 1060's are really better even than modded T50's, I would upgrade for sure.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,690 of 8,051
the origin interests me because of the ports, want to use it with my pc and consoles.

If you are interested in a similar sized dac/amp combo as the Origen+ with all the same inputs/outputs (specifically it has optical for console use), check out the Xduoo xd-05. I haven't used the Origen+, but I really like the xd-05 and I think it gets more favorable reviews over the Origen+ and potentially even something like the Fulla 2. It can power the HD650's pretty well and even Zeos noted they can take the T50rp's up to max volume. It has a built-in battery for travel, but I use it solely for desktop. Oh and it allows for op-amp rolling in case you are interested in that. Goes for about $160 new on ebay. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,691 of 8,051
I am so pissed. After a few pluging / unplugging I started to have the left connector issue ... I tried the squeezer trick but no luck at all ... Very strange behaviour now ... on my phone sounds looks almost if the left cup was saturating (??) and on my desk nfb-11 it is like it felt a very different resistance and the sound is clean but way lower (like 10db) less than on the right one ...
****. I dom't want to send them back with the costs of shipping + import fees so I am afraid I will need to wait for someone to design nice out of cup connector 3d printed so I can get rid of these s@+?= connectors.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,692 of 8,051
Get another cable, maybe from Amazon, so it can be returned easy.  I haven't had any issues but I tried my Shure SE215 cable and it was definitely a better fit and sounded fine too.  

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,693 of 8,051
I have a very basic measurement rig. I used an Audyssey mic in a white cardboad box filled with foam. I have it sticking out of the box into a wooden hollow block that I cover with felt and drilled a hole in for the mic to stick flush to the surface, and then attached a felt covered CD-R above the hole, where the ear pad rests on. I also use a wood dipping bowl above the box to simulate the top of the head to get a realistic clamp.

I have the mic plugged into a simple usb soundcard stick, and my headphones plugged into a Schiit Fulla 2 for most readings. I usually listen with the Fulla 2 as a DAC, and Hybrid Tube Pre/Schiit Magni 2 amp.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,695 of 8,051
Those looking for a new DAC should really consider going balanced. It is easy to get a balanced mmcx cable and no mods are needed. It's one of the main benefits of mmcx, so might as well take advantage of it.

isn't the mmcx a connector standard regardless of cable or am I missing something here?  I know that the MMCX connectors are used by Shure and a few other IEM makers and I've also used them for a friends K553 since she wanted removable cables with dual entry and I think someone used the MMCX connector on a TH-600/900 also.  But none of this has to do with balanced operation.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,696 of 8,051
Those looking for a new DAC should really consider going balanced. It is easy to get a balanced mmcx cable and no mods are needed. It's one of the main benefits of mmcx, so might as well take advantage of it.

Really?

I'd love to purchase an MMCX to 4-pin XLR cable, but can't find one. Preferably longer as well, of course..my M1060 are NOT used as portables.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,697 of 8,051
  Step 0:
Remove grills, stock pads, stock damping foam, stock ear-side driver fabric.

STEP 1:
Cut a square of felt slightly wider than the driver exit, this is how Audeze's original damping scheme worked. Apply with a thin strip of double sided stick tape.

Step 2:
Cut a felt disc the same size as a the internal diameter of the cup, again mirroring Audeze's damping scheme. Place on top of the felt square.

Step 3:
Cut a 3" disc of 2ply toilet paper, place this centered above the felt disc.

So you now have 3 denser layers behind the driver in place of the original 1 less-dense foam layer. You may have balanced the response substantially but haven't you also crumpled up the soundstage completely into your head?

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,698 of 8,051
  Really?

I'd love to purchase an MMCX to 4-pin XLR cable, but can't find one. Preferably longer as well, of course..my M1060 are NOT used as portables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIDUE-A83-2-5-3-5mm-MMCX-Silver-Plated-Balanced-Audiophile-Earphone-Cable-/381657775172?hash=item58dc937c44:g:xf_eek:LAAAOSwGotWqJtC

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Furutech/dp/B0108IEWNE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491610561&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+to+4-pin+xlr+balanced

Will connect to any 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4-Pin balanced XLR source. Works perfectly in my setup.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,699 of 8,051
  So you now have 3 denser layers behind the driver in place of the original 1 less-dense foam layer. You may have balanced the response substantially but haven't you also crumpled up the soundstage completely into your head?

Try it and see, play around, I'm still not set on the exact damping scheme I like best, I've personally never heard any planar that actually has an out of head stage, except the HEK, and it's merely slightly better than an hd650. It's not priority in headphones to me. A well set up cheap pair of speakers is worlds better at an accurate stage than even an hd800, imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back