Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 11, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,981 of 8,051
Am I the only one without any QC problem?

No cracking, connectors are good unless I pull on the cable (too short) or bump them (pointing towards shoulder), no sharp edges. I feel like I might have the perfect M1060!

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,982 of 8,051
Time to try better cables and connectors in balanced XLR.

So after 4hours (yes i'm slow), finally got them done and been listening the last couple hours.  It's so much better now.  Bass hits harder, resolution is improved, instrument separation, and overall crisp all improved.  
The Single Crystal OCC Cu cable works great.  Although now I might have to swap out the headphone jack from mmcx t0 2.5mm jacks so I can use my HE1000 V2's 12core solid silver litz cable given the improvement.   So will probably throw these cables to FS tomorrow.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #1,983 of 8,051
Nicely done!  I would've just hardwired the cable though.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,984 of 8,051
It's the cable. Buy a replacement mmcx cable and it should fix it.

I swapped the cable with my Shure IEM cable and no cutting off now. time to shop around.
Monoprice should ship a better cable as a replacement to all those who bought the first batch of M1060. It will be a waste for them and the customers to send the same stock cable as replacement.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,985 of 8,051
Sadly got hit with some terrible news, a lifelong friend died unexpectedly, so my night went to crap. Weekend is not looking good for impressions. Just really don't feel like playing with headphones. Meeting with friends later tonight to celebrate his life. 

So sorry for your loss. Do what you need to do...

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,986 of 8,051

Sadly got hit with some terrible news, a lifelong friend died unexpectedly, so my night went to crap. Weekend is not looking good for impressions. Just really don't feel like playing with headphones. Meeting with friends later tonight to celebrate his life. 

sorry to hear of your loss and I hope his family is holding on.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,988 of 8,051
We had some internal photos on the thread, and was anyone able to go inside to look at the magnetic structures compared to Audeze ?

Tyll says the LCD-2 and LCD-3 use different magnetic structures, so wonder which one the M1060 is closest to in that regard, rather than the diaphragm ?

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,989 of 8,051
  I'll only say this once, and it's just my position but people used to do the same thing for HD650 replacement pads.  Stock genuine replacement pads are ~$53 on Amazon.  People don't want to pay that much and buy the Brainwavz pads of their choosing.  I've tried three of the Brainwavz pads and they are nice pads but they ALL screw up the frequency response.  

Think of a pad as the room in which your speakers are located.  People who are used to speakers know that the room is the most important thing to get right.  $300 speakers in a properly set up and treated room will wipe the floor off of $3,000 speakers in an untreated/poorly set up room.  

I agree with this entirely, but there is a solution to add some coolness and comfort...hybrid pads like the HiFiMan Edition X or HE1000s... suede for your face and leather for the 'room' between your ears and the drivers.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,990 of 8,051
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,991 of 8,051

I asked them and they don't hold any mmcx cables. Shame we didn't get the one in their images on the webpage. Probably turned out to much them over the $300 dollar threshold

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,992 of 8,051

My pair came from the factory with the grill plate on the R side installed upside down - that's one way to differentiate them.  Anybody else have this?  Had a good chuckle after I noticed it tho, wanted to pat Monoprice on the head. 

Me. I turned it around yesterday. Mine was 90 degrees rotated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back