Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,681 of 8,051

I wouldn't have gone for it if they didn't offer 30 day free returns. If you don't like them, you haven't much to lose here.

Headphones are probably the fastest growing audio "trend" right now. Any entrepreneur perusing here will also know that there is a whole demographic that will shell out unlimited bucks for all things new. So every wannabe manufacturer wants in the game, and sometimes things are rushed out before they are completely ready. Not saying that's the case here because my 1060 is just fine, physically and sonically. But the construction defects in headphones seems to be a relatively new phenomenon, over the last 8 years or so.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,682 of 8,051
for what its worth the M1060 sound fantastic to me out of a chord mojo

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,684 of 8,051
The wood crack on the back of my left ear cup is separating a little more each day. I love the sound and comfort of these so much that I'm just going to get a replacement pair when they are back in stock. In my opinion, the price/performance with these can't be beat. The cracked wood isn't impacting the sound so I'll keep enjoying them and send them in for replacement close to the time the next batch will be in stock.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,685 of 8,051
  The wood crack on the back of my left ear cup is separating a little more each day. I love the sound and comfort of these so much that I'm just going to get a replacement pair when they are back in stock. In my opinion, the price/performance with these can't be beat. The cracked wood isn't impacting the sound so I'll keep enjoying them and send them in for replacement close to the time the next batch will be in stock.

I agree. I just received mine today and am loving them so far. Hopefully mine doesn't develop any issues (knocks on wood) but if so I'll do the same. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,686 of 8,051

I agree. I just received mine today and am loving them so far. Hopefully mine doesn't develop any issues (knocks on wood) but if so I'll do the same. 

Don't knock too hard. It may crack. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,687 of 8,051
I mostly rock out at green volume using optical input on the mojo 
L3000.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #1,688 of 8,051
  Don't knock too hard. It may crack. 
tongue_smile.gif

Kinda saw that coming
biggrin.gif
 (knocks on wood again) 

Maybe it's because this is my first time coming from planars, but the bass response is amazing. I listen to a lot of organ music and the sub-bass just feels a lot more present than on my HD600 and HD650s. I'll probably give the three a comparison later, if anyone's interested - I have all three on hand currently (HD600, HD6XX, M1060) 

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,689 of 8,051

To quote Red Green:

Duct Tape!

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #1,690 of 8,051
(snip)
The cracked wood isn't impacting the sound so I'll keep enjoying them and send them in for replacement close to the time the next batch will be in stock.

I've been hoping this information would come out! Thank you so much for posting.

I'll be picking mine up this evening, and assuming the sound is as good as people report it to be, I'll be keeping them regardless of the condition of the wood!

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,691 of 8,051
I've been hoping this information would come out! Thank you so much for posting.

I'll be picking mine up this evening, and assuming the sound is as good as people report it to be, I'll be keeping them regardless of the condition of the wood!

They have seriously blown my mind so far. I don't want to be without them for too long but I'll survive a few days while waiting on the replacement swap in April. They are very easy to drive so I use them with my phones as well.
beyersmile.png

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,692 of 8,051
Mine came today, but I'm far too tired to even listen to them. Tomorrow I'll listen and hope they sound like I believe they will. I'm in Philadelphia, PA and it's dry here right now. Weather is improving and humidity should increase. If they split, I'll probably glue with Titebond 2, unless Monoprice actually makes a material change. Without a rev, I imagine the splitting problem will just continue.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #1,693 of 8,051
Mine came today, but I'm far too tired to even listen to them. Tomorrow I'll listen and hope they sound like I believe they will. I'm in Philadelphia, PA and it's dry here right now. Weather is improving and humidity should increase. If they split, I'll probably glue with Titebond 2, unless Monoprice actually makes a material change. Without a rev, I imagine the splitting problem will just continue.

I'm not too far from you. I'm over in central PA and it's still ridiculously dry here as well. I agree about the splitting issue possibly continuing without a revision. I'm hoping with the reports they're receiving from their first batch that it'll make them look into trying to prevent this issue from happening in future builds.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,694 of 8,051
Mar 7, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,695 of 8,051

M1060 -

Critique - not ultra refined, lack some crispness, 4K to 6K Hz has both good and odd moments.

That sounds like all the Audezes I've listened to (minus LCD4 or 3 because I've never had the chance to fully immerse my listening experience with those). I've always felt Audeze had that issue in the 5K-7K range. 

Anyway, you might be the perfect person to speak to about this. I've been eyeing the HE-560 for a while now because I enjoyed them a lot. Note that I really love the reference headphones with a very flat, neutral sound and the 560 was, at the time when I borrowed from a friend, the closest planar to my taste in style. Many other headphones I have are very narrow and I enjoyed the fact that the HE-560 widened that a bit. So the last time I borrowed the HE-560 was almost a couple of years ago and since then, my ears have cheated on with many other phones so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I did get the M1060 and so far I like it but I also feel a lack of something but I haven't really paid much attention. Some areas, it totally reminds me of the 560, some reminds me of Audezes, I've never listened to the 400i but do have a 400s on hand that i'm borrowing for comparison with the 1060 and I don't care too much for the 400s anymore  (when comparing with the 1060). I was thinking about the 400s when I first borrowed it a couple of months ago because I saw it on sale refurbed for $170 and thought the sound was pretty decent and I was debating over that and that HE-560. Then the darn reviews of the Monolith M560 came out and started getting me super curious about the M1060 and and ended up ordering that.  

Sorry my rant got a little long. My question: For my specific sound preference (generally leaning towards neutral as possible) Would you say the HE560 is a better choice? I like listening to more orchestral and vocals with the planars. I listen to EDM once in a while but I have separate phones for that so EDM and similar genres I will not be listening to with the planars.

Looking forward to your response and anyone else's if they have their 2 cents to throw in. Thanks 

Happy to help.

Yes, HiFiMan HE-560 is a big step up, very noticeable & more refined vs M1060. You would easily hear this with classical music if you like to use planars. Keep in mind M1060 mids are more forward for the vocals you seek, however the mids detail, clarity, timbre, tonality and voicing is much superior on HE560, so it's the difference there between greater presence vs better presentation, and the price difference. Soundstage is wider & better imaging on HE-560, so concert-hall effect is more realistic. To power the HE560, at least a fine mid-level amp or upward is needed to drive them well. They scale upward well with better amps. If aspiring for the neutral sound signature you desire, the HE560 is a better reference-type sound. It is often characterized as an easier to drive & step down from HE6, which is 1 of the hardest headphones to drive very well to it's potential, requiring a careful amp match (or loudspeaker amp tap-outs are often used for HE6).

Also, for your EDM, there are hp's which do very well with that genre, and your dedicated set as mentioned serves you well. Just to mention the depth of sub-bass is better on HE560 than M1060, so, in a pinch without your dedicated set, if you wanted to hear some really low synth bass you can with HE560, although it is more reference-type bass rather than basshead bass. My E-MU Rosewood do very well with EDM due to tuning and the Foster biocellulose driver's ability for that genre, and the Foster as used in a few brands now has a strong EDM following of fans. 

The HE-560 does cost more, but with patience, they can be found brand new from reputable dealers for really good prices now. They dropped in price over the past year, although some places are much higher, so dig around. Or, grab a mint used set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back