Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,666 of 8,051
  I'm not concerned with the QC. Monoprice has always been excellent to me with warranty replacements, including replacing a guitar at no cost with no issues. They'll make it right. You also have 5 years of it, plus whatever extended CC warranty you have if you used a CC. You don't get that with Hifiman or Audeze.

(ex HE-500 owner)

Well, like sound quality, this is ultimately subjective. Regardless of how good the warranty is or how top notch Monoprice customer service is (and I have no reason to doubt it), when I make a major purchase I want to enjoy it, not have to put up with the aggravation of returning it. I really hate the return process, regardless of how accommodating the seller is. Given the evidence of this thread a very significant percentage of these headphones obviously have quality problems. I agree that I will almost certainly end up with a M1060 free of defect or a refund. But the significant (or even likely) chance that I might have to return one or more M1060s to do so gives me pause, although I am still on the fence. Obviously YMMV.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,667 of 8,051
  It's sad that the discussion is now about how the headphone that costs $300 is falling apart within a week of release?

I don't get this viewpoint where the headphone cracking, cutting out, not fitting, breaking off at the headband, etc is some kind of annoyance to people. Yes sound is important, but your headphones staying in one piece for more than 3 days is also kinda a little important.

These got hyped to hell and back, which is fine, they do sound great. But that doesn't protect them from the fact that this is a horribly botched release. When you discuss a headphone you discuss the entire headphone. In this case the 1060s self destructing at $300 is far more surprising and pressing than their sound.

Edit: I may've also misunderstood what you're trying to say(I can't discern the tone through text), but I have seen this annoyed stance from people. 

You misunderstood me; we're on the same page. I meant that is is sad that because of Monoprice's poor design decisions and/or poor QC, the discussion necessarily has centered on these issues rather than SQ. Even if this headphone matched the $50,000 Sennheiser in sound quality for $300, it would be useless if it doesn't work or quickly falls apart.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,668 of 8,051
  You misunderstood me; we're on the same page. I meant that is is sad that because of Monoprice's poor design decisions and/or poor QC, the discussion necessarily has centered on these issues rather than SQ. Even if this headphone matched the $50,000 Sennheiser in sound quality for $300, it would be useless if it doesn't work or quickly falls apart.

Ah okay. I could see how your comment could go either way, thanks for clearing it up.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,670 of 8,051
Has anyone done a comparison on the sound of the M560 directly with the M1060? I think I am personally more interested in the 560, but I am curious as to how the two stack up. For reference, my current favorite headphone is probably the HD650

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,671 of 8,051
  Has anyone done a comparison on the sound of the M560 directly with the M1060? I think I am personally more interested in the 560, but I am curious as to how the two stack up. For reference, my current favorite headphone is probably the HD650

I'd be interested in a more in-depth 560 vs 1060 comparison as well. We are talking two entirely different planar drivers. 56mm vs 106mm.

I think it's pretty clear that the 1060 sounds a lot better, but that the M560 is leagues better by build quality standards. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,673 of 8,051
I am waiting for my cans (international shipment) in couple of days and hopefully they will arrive without cracks. It will be a pain to send them back.
regarding wood cracks, I had a contractor last year building my home library out of solid wood (floor to ceiling) I remember when we were discussing design and cost that he highly recommended using wood that has been cut and left to dry for extended period to avoid shrinkage issues etc. I went with that and it cost me more but I trust the contractor who is a friend.
It makes me wounder if the cracking issue is due to cutting the cup rings out of fresh wood that is not dry enough to avoid shrinkage stresses. it could be a cost decision by Monoprice since fresh wood is less expensive than properly "aged" wood, even though the cost difference per headphone will be very small unlike building a whole library out of solid mahogany.
just a thought.

Mishal

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,674 of 8,051
  I am waiting for my cans (international shipment) in couple of days and hopefully they will arrive without cracks. It will be a pain to send them back.
regarding wood cracks, I had a contractor last year building my home library out of solid wood (floor to ceiling) I remember when we were discussing design and cost that he highly recommended using wood that has been cut and left to dry for extended period to avoid shrinkage issues etc. I went with that and it cost me more but I trust the contractor who is a friend.
It makes me wounder if the cracking issue is due to cutting the cup rings out of fresh wood that is not dry enough to avoid shrinkage stresses. it could be a cost decision by Monoprice since fresh wood is less expensive than properly "aged" wood, even though the cost difference per headphone will be very small unlike building a whole library out of solid mahogany.
just a thought.

Mishal

I found this paper that shows the effect of wood shrinkage/swelling due to humidity changes in furniture. could be relevant to the cracking issue.

Paper is found at ;

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr-163.pdf

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,675 of 8,051
  OK, here we go, 50+ hours burned-in on M1060, got this done during USA tax season time-crunch ( !!! ), but it went far easier than thought it would -

Monoprice Monolith M1060 vs HiFiMan HE-400"i" vs HiFiMan HE-560

First, it's awhile since hearing Audeze LCD-2, but I feel the M1060 places right between the HiFiMan & Audeze house sounds.

Monoprice & both HiFiMan sets purchased new, all 3 function perfectly well.

Violectric HPA-V100 and also Lake People G109A amps both used (very similar ) back & forth.

Hi-end digital and analog front sources up to fine reel to reel machines in line. 

Much good here & some OK impressions.

The M1060 are worth their price, and are excellent in that level.

M1060 -

Critique - not ultra refined, lack some crispness, 4K to 6K Hz has both good and odd moments.

Dynamic events feel compressed, but overall character not dull nor veiled. Some minute distortion evident, congestion is apparent in very complex passages.

Bass layering is less than correct. Sub-bass is only "OK". Bass layering sounds artificial at times.

Balance from bass thru mids to highs is excellent.

Sometimes highs on certain performances are weird and imprecise.

Average width of soundstage,&  imaging is OK.

I feel Audeze (from memory) has better bass overall in all parameters.

HiFiMan sound signature has superior highs.

Seems to be possessing some Audeze-type warmth with somewhat near better HiFiMan highs as a cross sound, yet not bright and not exciting.

Mids are placed properly and are excellent in the mix with good imaging.

Has typical planar-type sound.

But, for the value, M1060 is an excellent performer.

As reference to hi-end loudspeakers, less exciting, less lively, with less sub-bass, extension, impact & thunder.

Foster(x) type sub-bass excels comparatively here.

HE-400"i" -

HiFiMan 400"i" - more lively, less subdued, clearer.

Superior bass layering.

More dynamics when present in performance.

About same soundstage width, but overall balance is more "natural" and less compressed.

Mids are a bit more backseated and less upfront than M1060, mids highlighted more in M1060.

The low and high ends of 400 "i" are more natural and less artificial.

HE-400"i" exceptional value.

M1060 is easiest to drive of the 3 hp's.

Detail in mids goes to M1060, for details in highs it goes to 400 "i".

HE-560 - 

Now, by far, the winner, in a higher league, is the HiFiMan HE-560.

The M1060 is definitely closer to the HE400"i" and further from the HE-560.

The HE-560 is far more refined in character.

Better details, balanced better from sub-bass up thru to high frequencies.

Has exceptional bass depth into sub-bass, yet not bass-head, it is audiophile level.

The bass layering and quality surpasses the other 2 hp's.

Highs are exceptionally natural and mids are better defined with far more detail.

Mids are less forward than M1060, yet more natural in tonality & timbre.

Instruments are spot on in presentation of timbre, crispness and tonality.

Bass is much cleaner.

Soundstage width and imaging is better.

Has best detail of the 3, closest to a hi-end loudspeaker from sub-bass, bass, mids thru and up into highs.

No bleeding of mid-bass into mids, very well defined.

Hardest to drive, scales very well with much better amps. Should have at least mid-level amp, or up  further, to achieve it's best presentation & maximize it's capabilities.

Has real-life zest & zeal to music, not compressed.

More presence, spaciousness and "air" apparent.

That's all.

Chose these planars in comparison as felt it was a good test, as 3 have some similar traits.

Other magnetic planars I can also test from my collection, but different are - 

Smeggy Thunderpants TP-1 Macassar (Madagascar) Ebony

Fostex T20RPV2 vintage (not new MK2)

Yamaha YH-100

Wharfedale Isodynamic (before it was badged ID-1)

Burson PMB-6

These last 5 are much different, with very highest respect for sonic character of Smeggy's.

These 2 Fostex & Yamy models are highly regarded on the HF Orthodynamic Roundup thread & top ortho list from thread.

The Wharfedale is I think the very 1st planar made, in this version particularly, & continues to impress.

Burson is OK & part of collection, bought on a whim.

I could test 1 or more of these others if someone is interested, but feel the 2 HiFiMan models as currently available are what most are interested in comparatively & can buy new.

Only wanted to run-off planars, as apples to apples test here.

Hope it may help someone.

Great analysis!  

True, the M1060 and the HifiMan have different sound signatures, the HifiMans being much more neutral, less bassy and perhaps slightly better treble.  They also all require quite a bit more power except for the HE400S which has similar power requirements..  

I also want to reiterate how similar in sound the M1060 and the LCD series are.  

I A/B'd the M1060 with my LCD2 fazor side by side for a long time and the sound signatues are very nearly identical.  Which makes sense considering they have a very similar driver.

I also believe that slightly better pads would refine the sound of the M1060s even more.

I would say that if you like to enjoy music without being overly analytical about it, the M1060s might be a more enjoyable pair of headphones.  If you want every possible last ounce of neutrality and detail the HifiMans would win out.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,677 of 8,051
  These got hyped to hell and back.. 

Everything gets hyped to hell and back around here. 70% turns out to be feh. It's the nature of the Head-Fi beast.

The lesson learned is not to be an early adopter unless you can potentially stomach a lot of disappointment..

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #1,680 of 8,051
Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Everything gets hyped to hell and back around here. 70% turns out to be feh. It's the nature of the Head-Fi beast.

The lesson learned is not to be an early adopter unless you can potentially stomach a lot of disappointment..

I wouldn't have gone for it if they didn't offer 30 day free returns. If you don't like them, you haven't much to lose here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back