Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,621 of 8,051
It seems like the M1060 might not be ideal stock. The real question is (and in my mind always was): How are they with proven and known to be good pads? Audeze Vegans perhaps, ZMF pads, alpha pads, HM5 velours, and Focus pads? That's where things will get interesting if monoprice sorts this cracked wood thing.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,622 of 8,051
If you decide to keep them, or dare to be adventurous, try the Audeze pads. Your issues with forward mids and ringing will most likely go away. The frequency response and CSDs become so much smoother and cleaner.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,629 of 8,051
I have a weird question. I noticed some struggled to fit the M1060 on their head. I have a larger head but have never had a headphone that couldn't accommodate it. But as reference does anyone have a DT770/DT880/DT990 and the M1060 and what settings do you have to wear each headband on? I have to have 5 dots showing on either side of the DT770 and DT990 for it to fit. Does the M1060 go that large? Thanks in advance! :)

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #1,630 of 8,051
I have a weird question. I noticed some struggled to fit the M1060 on their head. I have a larger head but have never had a headphone that couldn't accommodate it. But as reference does anyone have a DT770/DT880/DT990 and the M1060 and what settings do you have to wear each headband on? I have to have 5 dots showing on either side of the DT770 and DT990 for it to fit. Does the M1060 go that large? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

With DT990's, I have the band set to as big as I can get and they are comfortable.  I could probably click them one notch smaller and be fine.

With the 1060's, I have them at the biggest I can get, and I feel like I want one more notch.  It's fine though, not too bad.

Your mileage may vary, the thing to note about the 990's is since the earcup cutoutss are round, and velour, I'm not too picky about what angle the headband is on my head.  With the 1060's, since the earcup cutout is basically an oval shape (like our ears) and the cups are not breathable, I'm a bit more sensitive to how the headband is positioned.  I kinda feel like as it relates to the earcup, I wish the angle of the cutout was slightly different.  My ears feel more free if I have the headband at a different angle than what I'd normally wear them in.  Unfortunately, with the headband at that angle, they would be too prone to falling off my head.

So no, I don't find them as comfortable as the dt990's with the stock pads on both.  I'm contemplating picking up the audeze vegan pads, but I'm still trying to decide if investing any more money in the 1060's is worth it.  I'm not really sold on the headphones yet.  They are great for some genres of music I listen to, but I am really unimpressed with my favorites.

If I keep them and decide to stick with the stock pads, I might take the pads off and re-apply them, at a slightly different angle.  That should help my problem a bit.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,631 of 8,051
With DT990's, I have the band set to as big as I can get and they are comfortable.  I could probably click them one notch smaller and be fine.

With the 1060's, I have them at the biggest I can get, and I feel like I want one more notch.  It's fine though, not too bad.

Thank you for the very comprehensive answer. It sounds like they will fit me alright. If I buy them I'm definitely getting the Audeze vegan pads though. I can't stand pleather. Maybe I will be able to pick up an open box or referb that will offset some of the cost of the new pads.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,634 of 8,051
  I wonder if they went the with MMCX connectors because they found that the wood couldn't handle drilling bigger hole for 2.5mm connectors.

Which would be a bit daft considering Audeze already did the R&D and decided to put on seperate metal connectors on their wood rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back