Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,561 of 8,051
This seems misleading -- the HD6X0 series is very mid-centric, not at all recessed. You may have a source->amp chain that is a bad match for the 6X0 if you hear them as mid recessed.

The recessed mids were in comparison to the M1060, at least to my ears. Granted, I really love my HD6xx. I made this disclaimer many times before, old ears, damaged by years of loud music.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,562 of 8,051
The mids on my M1060 are much more pronounced compared to my K7xx. The K7xx sounds somewhat muffled in comparison. It's a pretty major difference. I much prefer the M1060's overall sound. I wish I still had the HD600 to compare. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,563 of 8,051
  From what I've seen it looks like the back gimbal holes are more susceptible to cracking than the front ones. The other two posts appear to have cracks only in the back. My pair have also cracked here.From what I've seen it looks like the back gimbal holes are more susceptible to cracking than the front ones. The other two posts appear to have cracks only in the back. My pair have also cracked here.

In other news, I agree that people with large/tall heads will have a bit of trouble with these cans. My head is tall and skinny and to even get the ear-pads to line up with my ears properly I have to adjust the headband past the last notch, so that the little sliders are actually bottomed out. Because of this the headband puts a lot of pressure on a single point on the top of my head. Other cans I have also sometimes run out of room (for example my HD800's are set on the second to last notch to fit me correctly), but these are the first cans that almost don't fit me.

It's a shame because I love the sound of them so much... I'm hoping the headband will break in a bit and they'll be more comfortable the more I wear them.

As far as the connectors go, my left connector is definitely a lot looser than the right one, but it doesn't drop out unless I intentionally mess with it to get it to do so, but we'll see if this becomes more of a problem in the future.

Does the cracking present any sort of functional or structural issue? Is it just a cosmetic issue? 

I'm curious, because I only had mine for one day before selling them to someone. I didn't notice any cracking, then again, I wasn't looking for it because nobody was posting about it until about an hour after I sold them. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,565 of 8,051
  Does the cracking present any sort of functional or structural issue? Is it just a cosmetic issue? 

I'm curious, because I only had mine for one day before selling them to someone. I didn't notice any cracking, then again, I wasn't looking for it because nobody was posting about it until about an hour after I sold them. 

I have no idea. They seem just as solid as before (I didn't notice until actually looking), but someone who has taken their pair apart would know better if they relied on the wood ring in a structural capacity. I'm not willing to take my pair apart as I plan to use the warrenty for at least a few years.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,567 of 8,051
Anyone have more ears-on experience on the M1060 + Crack pairing? I am really looking forward to take advantage of the sale. Thanks!

Thanks for mentioning the BH Crack sale, I wasn't aware of it! Regardless whether it pairs well with M1060, I will probably buy it to pair with my HD600 and HD6XX at the very least.

That's a darn good deal.

*edit* Oh yeah, for the stats people: No MMCX problems, no cracking (yet) with my pair. Worthless cable and headband adjusters are my problems so far :p

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,568 of 8,051
  Thanks for mentioning the BH Crack sale, I wasn't aware of it! Regardless whether it pairs well with M1060, I will probably buy it to pair with my HD600 and HD6XX at the very least.

That's a darn good deal.

Well it definitely seems like the Crack likes the M1060. Not sure if it's mutual, though :^)

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,569 of 8,051

That's a darn good deal.

Yeah I have the HD6XX too, but I don't think I can afford to keep both (the M1060 and the 6XX), and so far I like the M1060 more. I guess I can just resell the build later for cost if I don't like it but I'd appreciate if someone can share their experience. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,570 of 8,051

My buddy's M1060 just cracked at the hinge 

I´m not an expert on headphones design, but being an industrial designer I can say this flaw could be related to a quality control issue. Apparently the wood used in the design doesn´t have the physical properties to support the mechanical force applied by he screws into that specific wood area. Once again this is just my personal view.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,571 of 8,051
I don't think it's a mechanical stress issue. I've only listened to these headphones for around 4-8 hours and they've stayed in their box for the rest of the time, so they certainly haven't been throw around. My money is on the humid-to-dry environment theory.

Well it definitely seems like the Crack likes the M1060. Not sure if it's mutual, though :^)

Going from the pictures on this thread I'd say cracks love the M1060! :p

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,572 of 8,051
I don't think it's a mechanical stress issue. I've only listened to these headphones for around 4-8 hours and they've stayed in their box for the rest of the time, so they certainly haven't been throw around. My money is on the humid-to-dry environment theory.

I have to agree.

Also, that part of the wood is very thin and can easily crack.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,573 of 8,051
With wood that thin, and the necessity of drilling a hole for the pivot there, they would have been better off making an intentional seam, and possibly a cover strip of metal across there.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,574 of 8,051
With all these glaring issues, I am starting to wonder if they even had any sort of QA/QC sort through these headphones. I think that's 8-9 people so far who've indicated they've had the wood on the cups crack several days in and easily over 10 people with connection issues on one of the ear cups. Considering the first shipment was only 500 units...the odds don't look that great. 

Mine didn't have the connection issue, but I only had my pair for one day. I am curious as to if that pair will develop the same cracking issue in a matter of days. Does anybody know if a wood treatment or anything could prevent this from happening, or is it pretty much inevitable with the design? 

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #1,575 of 8,051
  I´m not an expert on headphones design, but being an industrial designer I can say this flaw could be related to a quality control issue. Apparently the wood used in the design doesn´t have the physical properties to support the mechanical force applied by he screws into that specific wood area. Once again this is just my personal view.

Honestly, the consistent location of the crack makes me think it's either a design flaw or a mistake in material choice/finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back