Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,546 of 8,051
HD 800 got in. The 1060s are boxed up and ready to be returned.

Final impression. The 1060 is a great can, possibly one of the best, if your budget is like 400 and under but even then you could get a used HD700 for $300 too and I'd take the 700 over the 1060 any day based on my own tonal preferences.

It would be silly for me to keep them. My iSine 20 beats them and the 800s make them look like a toy. But that's not to say they're bad. Again, probably one of the better deals for $300 available right now. If you dip into the used market you start seeing HD700s for $300 and Beyer T1s for $450 though.

It amazes me how subjective this is. After 2 days with the 1060 I can't find anything about the HD700 that I like better then the 1060. Even the comfort of the 1060 is better and I really like the comfort of the HD700.

Yep. That's why it's an interesting hobby with very active forums. The 1060 was certainly comfortable but I find the hd700 to be one of the most comfortable I've worn. The hd700 I could wear all day where I'd start needing breaks to let my ears breathe with the 1060.

As far as sound preferences that's the most subjective. I'm glad you found something that works for you though

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,548 of 8,051
Generally the more impressions vs. other planars we get here, the better value the thread has IMO, (and for example: I fail to see the point in comparing the 1060 to 600/650/6XX if you've got a limited experience with the Sennheisers.)

I think the reason people compare them to the hd600/650/6xx is because that is what they have, so why not? It gives a perspective on how m1060's sound signature is compared to the Sennheiser 6xx' series. Additionally, it helps others making the decision on whether it's worth it to "upgrade" from what they currently have.

Of course, comparing 1060 to other planars are definitely very helpful to see where they stand on its own category.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,551 of 8,051
Just read through this entire thread. I had the opportunity to purchase these babies while they were in stock but decided to wait until some reviews came out. If anybody wants to let their M1060's go shoot me a PM :wink:

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,552 of 8,051
In regards to the HD6xx, the bass extends deeper and more visceral with the M1060.  The mids in the HD6xx is a bit recessed, but mids in the M1060 is right there, in full glory.  Vocals, especially females, are lush and warm.  SRV's Strat sounds thick and heavy in Texas Flood, and that's a good thing.  SRV uses heavy gauge strings, tuned half step down, like Hendrix, for that fat sound, and the M1060 really brings it out.  The highs are a bit of a wash, but the nod goes to the Monoprice as well.

This seems misleading -- the HD6X0 series is very mid-centric, not at all recessed. You may have a source->amp chain that is a bad match for the 6X0 if you hear them as mid recessed.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,554 of 8,051
  Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them. 

Oh man thanks for posting that. I just checked mine and it looks like they've cracked in the exact same place. I wonder if it has to do with humidity since I live in a really dry climate. I probably wouldn't have noticed that since I've already gotten past initial build impressions :\

Probably gonna keep mine till near the end of the 30 day guarantee to get more impressions. If I still like the sound I'll send them in for a replacement instead of just sending them back.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,555 of 8,051
I have been testing the M1060 with a few sources, and can confirm that they are really easy to drive. My reference is a Jot, which is overkill on low gain.

Plugged directly into either a Galaxy S7 or Dell XPS 13, I find the M1060 plenty loud. The S7 all the way up is a bit too loud, and XPS13 all the way up will quickly cause hearing damage. The M1060 still sounds good from both sources.

So, the M1060 is a great headphone for someone without a DAC/amp. I used to recommend the Senn HD558/598 to people without a DAC/amp who wanted some decent starter cans, but will now also recommend the M1060.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,556 of 8,051
  I'd be interested in a comparison to the Hifiman HE-400i, given that you can often find those in the $250-$300 range.

Search this thread, there have been a couple of comparisons. All I think found the M1060 superior, as did DMS3 in comments to his YouTube review. This is of real interest to me as well, since the 400i is my current daily driver. I'm leaning to buying these when they are back in stock; the only reason I am not completely sure is the large number of QC issues in a run of only 500 cans (cable connector, cracking ear cups, flimsy headband) is quite troubling. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,557 of 8,051
  Just read through this entire thread. I had the opportunity to purchase these babies while they were in stock but decided to wait until some reviews came out. If anybody wants to let their M1060's go shoot me a PM :wink:

Missed me by a day unfortunately, sold them to someone on reddit. GL!

Is the situation with the cracking ear cups a cosmetic or functional issue? Does it actually affect anything other than looks? Mine didn't have that issue, or if they did, I didn't notice. I wasn't really looking, tbh. I sold the headphones about an hour before the first post.  

If it truly is an issue with temperatures and humidity, it may not even be an issue, since I live in WA and the person I sold them to lives in the rainy city of Seattle.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,559 of 8,051
From what I've seen it looks like the back gimbal holes are more susceptible to cracking than the front ones. The other two posts appear to have cracks only in the back. My pair have also cracked here.

In other news, I agree that people with large/tall heads will have a bit of trouble with these cans. My head is tall and skinny and to even get the ear-pads to line up with my ears properly I have to adjust the headband past the last notch, so that the little sliders are actually bottomed out. Because of this the headband puts a lot of pressure on a single point on the top of my head. Other cans I have also sometimes run out of room (for example my HD800's are set on the second to last notch to fit me correctly), but these are the first cans that almost don't fit me.

It's a shame because I love the sound of them so much... I'm hoping the headband will break in a bit and they'll be more comfortable the more I wear them.

As far as the connectors go, my left connector is definitely a lot looser than the right one, but it doesn't drop out unless I intentionally mess with it to get it to do so, but we'll see if this becomes more of a problem in the future.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,560 of 8,051
I think the reason people compare them to the hd600/650/6xx is because that is what they have, so why not? It gives a perspective on how m1060's sound signature is compared to the Sennheiser 6xx' series. Additionally, it helps others making the decision on whether it's worth it to "upgrade" from what they currently have.

Of course, comparing 1060 to other planars are definitely very helpful to see where they stand on its own category.

I was trying to emphasize experience with the Sennheisers, and the Head-Fi posting guidelines about the familiarity on given equipment.
Some of the comments/comparisons have been rather off, indicating either a problem with the Sennheisers/chain, together with/or a lack of experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back